Asimov

"Andrew Howard" bravely wrote to "All" (09 Sep 05 18:36:38)
--- on the heady topic of "Troubleshooting computer monitors without power"

AH From: "Andrew Howard"
AH Xref: core-easynews sci.electronics.repair:341711

AH I have two computer monitors that I want to fix, but unfortunately I
AH am not allowed to work on them or test them at all while there is power
AH in it. I am allowed to observe, and that's it. I was wondering if
AH anyone could give me any ideas on how to fix them without power?

Yes, connect the measurement tools with the power off then you can
observe the measurements when the power is on without touching
anything. (Isn't this how you are supposed to do it in the 1st place?)

AH The first one is a Samsung Syncmaster 750s that is warped. Each colour
AH is warped a different amount, in an effect that looks like the opposite
AH of pin-cushioning. I can't see any obvious fried things.

AH The second is a Hyundai 1772E that doesn't appear to be getting power
AH to the picture tube. (I can't make sure, because I'm not allowed to
AH test it.) I don't know if the tube is supposed to warm up visibly or
AH anything, but I see no change in it. The standby light turns on, so it
AH is not a completely blown power supply.

AH So if anyone can suggest anything for these, which doesn't involve
AH touching it with the power on, that would be great. Also, if anyone has
AH any service manuals or schematics for either of these, I would be very
AH grateful.
AH Thanks
AH Andrew Howard

If you replace every single part in the monitors, they will be fixed,
and you won't have to touch anything with the power on. There are
shortcuts however that come from knowledge, experience, and reading
schematics.

A*s*i*m*o*v

.... If there were no electricity, we'd all be ohmless.