quietguy

Hi Andrew

My (sort of) sympathy - you are in a difficult situation, but you have done
well by seeking advice here, and also by allowing your parents to feel safe.

However, since you are 19, and have had some experience, perhaps you could
handle your parents concerns in a gentle manner that might also allow you to
extend your skills

I do think though that unless you have a fair knowledge about monitors and how
they work etc that the repair task may be difficult - especially so if you do
not have a service manual.

As a suggestion, perhaps you could detail your intended method of testing the
monitor on this group, also noting the safety/danger issues you are aware of
etc. Then let your parents read your post and the feedback that many of the
good guys here usually offer. Assuming your post(s) demonstrate awareness of
the specific dangers involved, and the good guys validate your ideas, this
might reassure your parents and convince them to allow you a little more
freedom to explore the exciting and sometimes vicious world of powered on gear.

However, I would be interested to read what others on this group think of this
idea

Cheers

David - who was lucky enough to have a retired radio tech as a mentor when he
started building and fixing mains (240v) powered gear (at around age 10 or
so). My tech friend was a good guy who never failed to give me dire warnings
if my building and fixing wasn't up to scratch, safety wise.

David

Andrew Howard wrote:

It actually is a rule imposed by my parents, as suggested by someone else.
I'm 19 and have been doing electronics for a while and am aware of the
safety issues involved, but while I'm living at home, I respect the rules
imposed on me by my parents. Even if I hate them (especially in this case).
It took me long enough to convince them that I knew how discharge everything
adequately to be able to even touch the thing with the power off. So I don't
think I'll be able to work on the while they are live until I either leave
home, or get a job in the industry for a while.
So if anyone has any ideas about the monitors...

Thanks
Andrew Howard