Default U.K Stereo moving to the US

I have a NAD C370 Amp with a 523 CD Player through some KEF Speakers.
A while ago I moved to the U.S. from London and I am now looking to
have my stereo sent over.

What would I need in order to adapt to the downgrade in electrical
power? Will it affect the sound quality? Any specific transformer
suggestion? And would the speakers be okay?

Many thanks,
HG

James Sweet

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a NAD C370 Amp with a 523 CD Player through some KEF Speakers.
A while ago I moved to the U.S. from London and I am now looking to
have my stereo sent over.

What would I need in order to adapt to the downgrade in electrical
power? Will it affect the sound quality? Any specific transformer
suggestion? And would the speakers be okay?

You may be lucky enough to have power transformers with multiple taps,
otherwise you can get a 120240 autotransformer and run the stuff off that,
I've seen them on ebay, and last I checked www.usamfg.net had some.

NSM

wrote in message
ups.com...

I have a NAD C370 Amp with a 523 CD Player through some KEF Speakers.
A while ago I moved to the U.S. from London and I am now looking to
have my stereo sent over.

What would I need in order to adapt to the downgrade in electrical
power? Will it affect the sound quality? Any specific transformer
suggestion? And would the speakers be okay?

Shouldn't be a problem. More than a few places can sell you a transformer to
run your gear off the obsolete N. American system (even Radio Shack has a
small one - 40 W). Going back the other way can result in many problems
however.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article . com,
wrote:
I have a NAD C370 Amp with a 523 CD Player through some KEF Speakers.
A while ago I moved to the U.S. from London and I am now looking to
have my stereo sent over.

I have an NAD amp here in the UK, and it is internally adjustable to 110
volts. Dunno if this applies across the range, though.

What would I need in order to adapt to the downgrade in electrical
power? Will it affect the sound quality? Any specific transformer
suggestion? And would the speakers be okay?

The normal way would be to use an auto transformer to get the 240 volts.
But it may be cheaper to sell your gear in the UK and replace it with
similar US spec - thus saving the cost of the transformer and the carriage
costs.

The speakers will be fine - as unless they have built in power amps (ie,
have a mains connection too) don't have any reference to the mains.

--
*He's not dead - he's electroencephalographically challenged

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Travis....thanks for your feedback! I laughed at your referal to the
"Colonies". Nice one!

Dave....many thanks for your feedback and response.

Arfa Daily

I don't know where you would get the idea that your power was an upgrade on
ours. We NEVER EVER get brownouts here. This is largely because the higher
voltages we use on our crosscountry distribution network, allows for lower
transmission currents, which result in lower voltdrops at any resistance
points at junctions.

We can also run high watts appliances such as ovens and driers, without
having to use cables as thick as your arm, and 6 inch nails for fuses. Oh,
and we also did away with ugly overheads and pole mounted transformers at
street distribution level, years ago ....

So your system is an upgrade ?? Hmmmm ...

"Travis Jordan" wrote in message
What would I need in order to adapt to the downgrade in electrical
power? Will it affect the sound quality? Any specific transformer
suggestion? And would the speakers be okay?

Don't know about the adaptation that is required (it could be as simple
as a different power cord or an adapter if the receiver will accept 120
VAC / 60 hz intead of limey power.

BTW, we here in the Colonies tend to think our power system is an
upgrade from 'yours'.

Do Little2

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

We can also run high watts appliances such as ovens and driers, without
having to use cables as thick as your arm, and 6 inch nails for fuses. Oh,
and we also did away with ugly overheads and pole mounted transformers at
street distribution level, years ago ....

So your system is an upgrade ?? Hmmmm ...

True, serving about 330 million people,
compared to a few on a little island is
a real big upgrade... :-)

Dolittle2

NSM

"Do Little2" wrote in message

So your system is an upgrade ?? Hmmmm ...

True, serving about 330 million people,
compared to a few on a little island is
a real big upgrade... :-)

Really? And one squirrel or untrimmed tree blacks out power to half the
continent? Special!

NSM

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

I don't know where you would get the idea that your power was an upgrade

on
ours. We NEVER EVER get brownouts here. This is largely because the higher
voltages we use on our crosscountry distribution network, allows for lower
transmission currents, which result in lower voltdrops at any resistance
points at junctions.

We can also run high watts appliances such as ovens and driers, without
having to use cables as thick as your arm, and 6 inch nails for fuses. Oh,
and we also did away with ugly overheads and pole mounted transformers at
street distribution level, years ago ....

So your system is an upgrade ?? Hmmmm ...

Yep. It still surprises me that the lights here dim everytime a heater
switches on. Weird.

Arfa Daily

Well, actually, our " little island ", as you so quaintly put it, is
actually connected to many millions of other users in mainland Europe, to
form a hedged power distribution system which doesn't suffer from cascade
failure when the weather gets a bit cold, or major outages when the sun
flares a bit ... ; -)

"Do Little2" wrote in message

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

We can also run high watts appliances such as ovens and driers, without
having to use cables as thick as your arm, and 6 inch nails for fuses.
Oh,
and we also did away with ugly overheads and pole mounted transformers at
street distribution level, years ago ....

So your system is an upgrade ?? Hmmmm ...

True, serving about 330 million people,
compared to a few on a little island is
a real big upgrade... :-)

Dolittle2

Do Little2

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Do Little2 wrote:
So your system is an upgrade ?? Hmmmm ...

True, serving about 330 million people,
compared to a few on a little island is
a real big upgrade... :-)

Did you know there are approximately 10 times more fires per capita in the
US than the UK caused by poor or inadequate house wiring?

I was not aware of that. So, even with unfortunate fires, chances
are that the US upgrades approximately 10 times more than the UK.

Do Little2

Do Little2

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message
Well, actually, our " little island ", as you so quaintly put it, is
actually connected to many millions of other users in mainland Europe, to
form a hedged power distribution system

On this side of the pond "many millions" is not even close to 330 million +.

which doesn't suffer from cascade
failure when the weather gets a bit cold, or major outages when the sun
flares a bit ... ; -)

True, but think about the enormous length of the electricity network in
the US and Canada compared to the UK. The UK (and that part of
Europe that the UK could possible support) would easily fit about
10 times in Ontario alone....

Just out of curiosity: How many Megawatts of electricity is
the UK capable of exporting before its own network collapses?

Do Little2

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Do Little2 wrote:
Did you know there are approximately 10 times more fires per capita in
the US than the UK caused by poor or inadequate house wiring?

I was not aware of that. So, even with unfortunate fires, chances are
that the US upgrades approximately 10 times more than the UK.

It would seem quite the contrary. House wiring more than 40 years old is
uncommon in the UK. Seems not so in many parts of the US with older houses.

--
*It's o.k. to laugh during sexŒ.Œ.just don't point!

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Do Little2 wrote:
Well, actually, our " little island ", as you so quaintly put it, is
actually connected to many millions of other users in mainland Europe,
to form a hedged power distribution system

On this side of the pond "many millions" is not even close to 330
million +.

So you think the population of Europe is tiny compared to the US?

which doesn't suffer from cascade
failure when the weather gets a bit cold, or major outages when the sun
flares a bit ... ; -)

True, but think about the enormous length of the electricity network in
the US and Canada compared to the UK. The UK (and that part of
Europe that the UK could possible support) would easily fit about
10 times in Ontario alone....

It's an exchange scheme. Like all proper grids with multiple power
stations feeding them.

Just out of curiosity: How many Megawatts of electricity is
the UK capable of exporting before its own network collapses?

Dunno - it's never happened. The whole idea of a grid is that you share
power, so any fault is likely to be local. And in event of a grid failure,
the power may be routed in a different way.

FWIW, I can't remember an outage here in this part of London. Nor do I
have or need an UPS etc. Of course there are rural parts that still may
have problems due to overhead lines etc.

--
*Why does the sun lighten our hair, but darken our skin?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Do Little2

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Do Little2 wrote:

[...snip...]

Just out of curiosity: How many Megawatts of electricity is
the UK capable of exporting before its own network collapses?

Dunno - it's never happened. The whole idea of a grid is that you share
power, so any fault is likely to be local. And in event of a grid failure,
the power may be routed in a different way.

Yes, but the limiting factors are the few wires connecting to Europe.
How much voltage/current can they handle? Certainly, for the bottom
line, someone in the UK will know just how much electricity they can
export/sell or must import/buy on any given day.

FWIW, I can't remember an outage here in this part of London.
Nor do I have or need an UPS etc. Of course there are rural parts
that still may have problems due to overhead lines etc.

True, I also heard some horror stories about old electricity switches
in some rural areas of the UK. Apparently they were still using "open air
240 Volts line switches" like the old knife type. Scary stuff indeed. :-)

Do Little2

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Do Little2 wrote:
Yes, but the limiting factors are the few wires connecting to Europe.
How much voltage/current can they handle? Certainly, for the bottom
line, someone in the UK will know just how much electricity they can
export/sell or must import/buy on any given day.

They're used when demand is low in one country while high in another.

FWIW, I can't remember an outage here in this part of London.
Nor do I have or need an UPS etc. Of course there are rural parts
that still may have problems due to overhead lines etc.

True, I also heard some horror stories about old electricity switches
in some rural areas of the UK. Apparently they were still using "open air
240 Volts line switches" like the old knife type. Scary stuff indeed. :-)

Don't be silly. All overhead supplied domestic supplies are RCD protected.
Fitted by the supply provider.

None of the silly thermal devices so loved across the pond. ;-)

--
*If God dropped acid, would he see people?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Do Little2

Do Little2 wrote:
Yes, but the limiting factors are the few wires connecting to Europe.
How much voltage/current can they handle? Certainly, for the bottom
line, someone in the UK will know just how much electricity they can
export/sell or must import/buy on any given day.

They're used when demand is low in one country while high in another.

That is the principal idea for most electrical grids or networks.
But since all the European grid connections are routed through a
few wires in one tunnel towards the UK, one tends to think that
this is a very limited or primitive grid. A 'real electrical grid' will
have more than one access point! Maybe there isn't enough room
for another grid connection on that small island? :-)

FWIW, I can't remember an outage here in this part of London.
Nor do I have or need an UPS etc. Of course there are rural parts
that still may have problems due to overhead lines etc.

True, I also heard some horror stories about old electricity switches
in some rural areas of the UK. Apparently they were still using "open

air
240 Volts line switches" like the old knife type. Scary stuff indeed.

:-)

Don't be silly. All overhead supplied domestic supplies are RCD protected.
Fitted by the supply provider.

Not silly at all, I only wrote what a Canadian
visitor saw in a barn near Whitby in the UK.

None of the silly thermal devices so loved across the pond. ;-)

Good point!
However, most thermal devices have been
outlawed (in the 1970's ?) in television, radios, etc..

BTW, just how do they adjust the electrical
heating for the houses in the UK ? :-)

Do Little2

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Do Little2 wrote:
Don't be silly. All overhead supplied domestic supplies are RCD
protected. Fitted by the supply provider.

Not silly at all, I only wrote what a Canadian visitor saw in a barn
near Whitby in the UK.

A barn is unlikely to be directly supplied, but 'exported' from the
adjacent farm house. And will then be protected by the supplier's RCD.
And if it really did have a knife switch that dates back to DC days - ie
before WW2. I've never seen one outside a museum of such things. ;-)

None of the silly thermal devices so loved across the pond. ;-)

Good point! However, most thermal devices have been outlawed (in the
1970's ?) in television, radios, etc..

But as circuit breakers in domestic installations?

BTW, just how do they adjust the electrical heating for the houses in
the UK ? :-)

No one in their right mind uses electricity for heating. We use gas or oil.
It would only make sense if that electricity was generated by some other
fuel - like renewable energy. But not if it's generated by oil or gas.

You can get very close to 100% efficiency with a condensing gas boiler -
not really possible with a variable demand gas burning power station, even
before the transmission losses.

--
*Life is hard; then you nap

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Arfa Daily

Crikey !! I didn't know what I was starting when I opened this thread !

OK. Lets put some figures on it.

Last figures I could find were for 2003. Total UK generation capacity was
78.5GW at that time. Power generation for the year was 376.8 BkWH. Power
consumption for the year was
399.8 BkWH, a shortfall of some 5.1 BkWH, which was imported from our grid
connection to mainland Europe, via France.

There are some 23 countries cross connected in the European grid, supplying
approx 450m people ( that's a few more than the U.S. grid ... )

The typical cross border capacity appears to be 2 way - ie to two adjacent
network operators -at 2.5 GW per way - a net import / export capability of 5
GW per border crossing.

The original UK / France undersea cableway, comprised two single conductor
cables with a DC capacity of 160MW total ( the power is rectified to DC and
reinverted to AC at either end ). This cable has since been replaced with a
4 cable system, each comprising a positive / negative pair. These are buried
in the sea floor in trenches 600mm wide, separated by 1 km to avoid
interaction of the magnetic fields with marine navigation equipment.

The total capacity of this connection is 2GW DC net import / export.

The total consumption of the 23 countries, is around 2300 TW.

So, a total grid somewhat larger than the US one,in terms of subscribers,
and quite possibly in distances and geographical area, and to the best of my
knowledge, it has never fallen over in such a spectacular way as the US one
sometimes does.

Geoff