Do Little2

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Do Little2 wrote:
Yes, but the limiting factors are the few wires connecting to Europe.
How much voltage/current can they handle? Certainly, for the bottom
line, someone in the UK will know just how much electricity they can
export/sell or must import/buy on any given day.

They're used when demand is low in one country while high in another.

That is the principal idea for most electrical grids or networks.
But since all the European grid connections are routed through a
few wires in one tunnel towards the UK, one tends to think that
this is a very limited or primitive grid. A 'real electrical grid' will
have more than one access point! Maybe there isn't enough room
for another grid connection on that small island? :-)

FWIW, I can't remember an outage here in this part of London.
Nor do I have or need an UPS etc. Of course there are rural parts
that still may have problems due to overhead lines etc.

True, I also heard some horror stories about old electricity switches
in some rural areas of the UK. Apparently they were still using "open

air
240 Volts line switches" like the old knife type. Scary stuff indeed.

:-)

Don't be silly. All overhead supplied domestic supplies are RCD protected.
Fitted by the supply provider.

Not silly at all, I only wrote what a Canadian
visitor saw in a barn near Whitby in the UK.

None of the silly thermal devices so loved across the pond. ;-)

Good point!
However, most thermal devices have been
outlawed (in the 1970's ?) in television, radios, etc..

BTW, just how do they adjust the electrical
heating for the houses in the UK ? :-)

Do Little2