Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

Default Garage Door Opener Range.

This new, very well-insulated, foil-backed, house has one drawback...
the garage door opener range with the garage door closed is only about
20'

Any ideas on how I could extend that range?

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message news
This new, very well-insulated, foil-backed, house has one drawback...
the garage door opener range with the garage door closed is only about
20'

Any ideas on how I could extend that range?

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |
| San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | |

Extend the antenna on the receiver. To the outside if possible.

tm

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

Jim Thompson wrote:

This new, very well-insulated, foil-backed, house has one drawback...
the garage door opener range with the garage door closed is only about
20'

Any ideas on how I could extend that range?

Retune the receiver? 30 years ago, I repaired several brands as a
sideline. Some worked reliable for well over two blocks after a careful
alignment.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

---

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On 5/7/2014 3:27 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
This new, very well-insulated, foil-backed, house has one drawback...
the garage door opener range with the garage door closed is only about
20'

Any ideas on how I could extend that range?

...Jim Thompson

Here's a gut that added coax and put the antenna outside.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smwjAOvVACY

ISTR some one added a reflector wire behind the antenna to solve his
problem. And why not a director.
Mikek

---

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On 5/7/2014 4:27 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
This new, very well-insulated, foil-backed, house has one drawback...
the garage door opener range with the garage door closed is only about
20'

Any ideas on how I could extend that range?

You could work on improving the antenna, or you could just put the
receiver outside and run a wire to it from the opener. I believe the
"antenna" on the units I have seen is just a piece of wire hanging from
the unit a foot or so. Not much to work with there... at least I would
find it easier to just move the receiver to the outside of the house.

--

Rick

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On Wed, 07 May 2014 13:27:29 -0700, Jim Thompson wrote:

This new, very well-insulated, foil-backed, house has one drawback...
the garage door opener range with the garage door closed is only about
20'

If the receiver is a separate unit, or if the antenna input is obvious,
do as already suggested and move the receiver or connect an external
antenna.

If not, and if for some reason you don't want to rip into the thing to
get at the antenna terminals, find out what frequency it works at
(probably 400-ish MHz), hang a simple dipole antenna outside your garage
with coax or twin-lead going to another antenna right at the opener.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On Wed, 07 May 2014 16:29:29 -0500, Tim Wescott
wrote:

On Wed, 07 May 2014 13:27:29 -0700, Jim Thompson wrote:

This new, very well-insulated, foil-backed, house has one drawback...
the garage door opener range with the garage door closed is only about
20'

If the receiver is a separate unit, or if the antenna input is obvious,
do as already suggested and move the receiver or connect an external
antenna.

If not, and if for some reason you don't want to rip into the thing to
get at the antenna terminals, find out what frequency it works at
(probably 400-ish MHz), hang a simple dipole antenna outside your garage
with coax or twin-lead going to another antenna right at the opener.

Maybe a gamma-match :-}

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |
| San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

This new, very well-insulated, foil-backed, house has one drawback...
the garage door opener range with the garage door closed is only about
20'

Any ideas on how I could extend that range?

...Jim Thompson

You need an engineer!

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

This new, very well-insulated, foil-backed, house has one drawback...
the garage door opener range with the garage door closed is only about
20'

Any ideas on how I could extend that range?

...Jim Thompson

You need an engineer!

Always have to go out of your way to be a turd, don't you... sad
specimen you are.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |
| San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

This new, very well-insulated, foil-backed, house has one drawback...
the garage door opener range with the garage door closed is only about
20'

Any ideas on how I could extend that range?

...Jim Thompson

You need an engineer!

Always have to go out of your way to be a turd, don't you... sad
specimen you are.

...Jim Thompson

Pot, Kettle, Black, call ?

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

This new, very well-insulated, foil-backed, house has one drawback...
the garage door opener range with the garage door closed is only about
20'

Any ideas on how I could extend that range?

...Jim Thompson

The Sears brand have kits,
http://www.sears.com/search=garage%20door%20remote%20antenna%20extender %20kit?levels=Tools&autoRedirect=true

I see a pattern developing....

Cheers
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

This new, very well-insulated, foil-backed, house has one drawback...
the garage door opener range with the garage door closed is only about
20'

I assume the garage door is insulated with foil backed foam or
fiberglass. Therefore, RF through the garage door is a difficult
path.

First, try a simple experiment. Open the garage door wide and test
the range of your unspecified model garage door opener radio. If you
get normal ranges (200ft or more), then the problem is the garage door
shielding. However, if the range is the same, the tuning on either
the transmitter or receiver is off frequency.

Punching a big hole in the aluminum door insulation might help, but
methinks adding some coax cable to the antenna, punch a hole somewhere
in the garage wall (not the roof), and bring the antenna outside, will
work best. I'm not sure what frequency your unspecified model garage
door opener operates (probably 315 or 390 MHz) but the coax cable
should be specified to have the minimum loss at the operating
frequency. Satellite grade CATV coax cable (RG-6/u) is both cheap and
low loss.

Garage Door Opener Antenna Extension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smwjAOvVACY
(Ignore his comments on how RF travels better when it's cold and wet.
His receiver is drifting with temperature. Also, you do need to
ground the shield of the coax at the receiver ground).

Any ideas on how I could extend that range?
...Jim Thompson

A wired push button switch on a vertical pipe somewhere along the
driveway approach? If that's too primitive, a 2nd remote receiver
somewhere along the driveway.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

[...]

My own 10m illegal transmitter and receiver and a relay... ought to
give me a full block's range :-}

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |
| San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On Wed, 07 May 2014 19:40:07 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

My own 10m illegal transmitter and receiver and a relay... ought to
give me a full block's range :-}
...Jim Thompson

Sigh. 10m as in 28 MHz? Were you planning on operating the garage
door from the adjacent state? Transistor, tube, or spark gap? 28 MHz
requires a fairly large 2.5 meter antenna on both ends, or something
somewhat shorter with a loading coil. Even so, the aluminum foil in
the garage door, is a fairly effective barrier to RF. Move the
receive antenna outside, and the foil will not be a problem. Also,
you might want to measure the receiver sensitivity and tx power output
to make sure your range prediction is not based on bad assumptions.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

This new, very well-insulated, foil-backed, house has one drawback...
the garage door opener range with the garage door closed is only about
20'

Any ideas on how I could extend that range?

...Jim Thompson

You need an engineer!

Always have to go out of your way to be a turd, don't you... sad
specimen you are.

...Jim Thompson

Geez, you have an antenna inside a metal box, and you need advice?

--

John Larkin Highland Technology Inc
www.highlandtechnology.com jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

My own 10m illegal transmitter and receiver and a relay... ought to
give me a full block's range :-}
...Jim Thompson

Sigh. 10m as in 28 MHz? Were you planning on operating the garage
door from the adjacent state? Transistor, tube, or spark gap? 28 MHz
requires a fairly large 2.5 meter antenna on both ends, or something
somewhat shorter with a loading coil. Even so, the aluminum foil in
the garage door, is a fairly effective barrier to RF. Move the
receive antenna outside, and the foil will not be a problem. Also,
you might want to measure the receiver sensitivity and tx power output
to make sure your range prediction is not based on bad assumptions.

I have some old 455kHz ceramic filters... maybe that's the way to do
it :-}

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |
| San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On 2014-05-07, Jim Thompson wrote:
This new, very well-insulated, foil-backed, house has one drawback...
the garage door opener range with the garage door closed is only about
20'

Any ideas on how I could extend that range?

Buy a second receiver and wire it into the button curcuit and place it
in a non-sheielded location. (bare receivers are available for use on
electric gates etc)

Put a better antenna on your remote, *

Use some UHF coax to move the reveiver antenna to a better location. *

(*) probably void the warranty

--
umop apisdn

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

[...]

If you do that, just call me, I'll open the door for you,
From Florida ;-)
Mikek

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On Wed, 07 May 2014 21:45:22 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

I have some old 455kHz ceramic filters... maybe that's the way to do
it :-}

Ummm.... no. I suggest that you give up on building your own and
purchase something that has a chance of actually working:
www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=wireless+remote+switch
Look for 315 MHz and something with a momentary/timed/latch output
jumper for the relay(s). Install the receiver antenna or the entire
receiver outside your shielded garage for optimum range.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

I have some old 455kHz ceramic filters... maybe that's the way to do
it :-}

Ummm.... no. I suggest that you give up on building your own and
purchase something that has a chance of actually working:
www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=wireless+remote+switch
Look for 315 MHz and something with a momentary/timed/latch output
jumper for the relay(s). Install the receiver antenna or the entire
receiver outside your shielded garage for optimum range.

Looks like my opener receiver is part of the whole control board. Do
you know of any stand-alone receivers that can be "trained" to the
remotes built-into automobiles? I think my Q45 remote is Homelink
brand.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |
| San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

In article , To-Email-Use-
says...
This new, very well-insulated, foil-backed, house has one drawback...
the garage door opener range with the garage door closed is only about
20'

Any ideas on how I could extend that range?

...Jim Thompson

An external antenna would be the easiest thing.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On Thu, 08 May 2014 09:36:31 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

Looks like my opener receiver is part of the whole control board. Do
you know of any stand-alone receivers that can be "trained" to the
remotes built-into automobiles? I think my Q45 remote is Homelink
brand.

I'm not familiar with the Infiniti Q45 or the associated remote.
Normally, I would look at the encoder chip in the Homelink and see if
I can find a receiver that uses the matching receiver chip. However,
Homelink works by cloning the codes from the remote, so all that may
not be necessary. If the visor thing has a picture of a house above
the buttons, it will do rolling code which covers most remotes. Here's
the instructions for the Homelink:
http://infinitihelp.com/diy/common/infiniti_homelink.php
With luck, it might work with your unspecified model garage door
opener.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

Looks like my opener receiver is part of the whole control board. Do
you know of any stand-alone receivers that can be "trained" to the
remotes built-into automobiles? I think my Q45 remote is Homelink
brand.

I'm not familiar with the Infiniti Q45 or the associated remote.
Normally, I would look at the encoder chip in the Homelink and see if
I can find a receiver that uses the matching receiver chip. However,
Homelink works by cloning the codes from the remote, so all that may
not be necessary. If the visor thing has a picture of a house above
the buttons, it will do rolling code which covers most remotes. Here's
the instructions for the Homelink:
http://infinitihelp.com/diy/common/infiniti_homelink.php
With luck, it might work with your unspecified model garage door
opener.

Good find Jeff, looks exactly like on my visor... and the instructions
are quite clear. All I had found so far were confusing and
conflicting :-(

Door opener is Genie 2024. Not exactly my favorite brand, but it
looks like they've cured the problems I reported about 10 years ago...
_jerk_ starting the door.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |
| San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

[...]

If the instructions are unintelligible, they were either written by
the design engineer, or translated from some Chinese. The conflicts
are intentional, intended to keep tech support in business.

This looks like the full solution:
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080221173614AAk3Io8

Door opener is Genie 2024.

Thanks.

Not exactly my favorite brand, but it
looks like they've cured the problems I reported about 10 years ago...
_jerk_ starting the door.

Any jerk can open a garage door. Are you looking for an IQ or
attitude test before allowing the garage door to open? I haven't seen
it done but I suspect some kind of challenge/response game can be
built into the remote. Patent it?

Hint: The belt drive builds up tension in the belt before overcoming
the door startup friction. If the startup friction is sufficiently
high, that can result in a rather spectacular lurching start. The
chain drive doesn't act like a spring but makes more noise and costs
more money. The fix is not to swap the belt for a chain, but rather
to deal with the friction problem by finding where it's binding.
Unbalanced tension/torsion on the pair of springs supporting the door
is the usual culprit. I've performed several miraculous cures by
simply balancing the springs or if adjustable, the spring tension.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

This new, very well-insulated, foil-backed, house has one drawback...
the garage door opener range with the garage door closed is only about
20'

Any ideas on how I could extend that range?

...Jim Thompson

---
What I'd do would be to drill a hole through the garage wall next to
the door but up high, then connect a length of 50 ohm coax to a
weatherproof 900MHz rubber duckie antenna with a 90 degree mounting
flange/bracket and pass the coax through the hole from the outside
of the garage to the inside.

Next, I'd mount the rubber duckie to the outside wall with the whip
oriented vertically, and weatherize the installation.

Finally, I'd mount another rubber duckie on the inside wall, with
the whip oriented vertically, and connect the coax.

Voila! passive repeater, - probably with some gain - nice clean
install, and your warranty stays intact since you haven't even
touched the holy RX.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

[...]

Everyone seems very concerned about the warranty, does anyone
leave a unit modified and then call for warranty service?

Let me answer that for you.

Of course not, you put it back to original and then ask for warranty
service.

Unless your mod caused the problem.
Mikek