Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garage Door opener - diminished range

Since a few days ago our garage door opener will only function if we
pull right up to the door and press the button. Previously, with each
of our 2 remotes, we could press the button out at the end of the
driveway (75') and it would work.

I suspected week batteries and replaced them in each of the remotes
but still we have to be right up next to the door before it will get
the signal and open. The antenna appears to be ok on the opener.

Any ideas what could have caused this sudden problem?

The door opener is a Craftsman 1/2 HP circa 2002 or 2003.

Thanks in advance,
Mike
Posted to alt.home.repair

use only alkaline batteries............ BRAND NEW

regular carbon zinc cant meet the demands

check the antenna on the opener likely a small wire haning out in space
from the opener

any chance you recently added a fluroscent lamp, espically the compact
type? they can interfer with openers......

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 03:31:23 GMT, oo Mike oo wrote:

Since a few days ago our garage door opener will only function if we
pull right up to the door and press the button. Previously, with each
of our 2 remotes, we could press the button out at the end of the
driveway (75') and it would work.

I suspected week batteries and replaced them in each of the remotes
but still we have to be right up next to the door before it will get
the signal and open. The antenna appears to be ok on the opener.

Any ideas what could have caused this sudden problem?

The door opener is a Craftsman 1/2 HP circa 2002 or 2003.

Either your transmitter is weak, the receiver is insensitive, or
there is interference.

If multiple remotes all work poorly, then it is probably a bad receiver.
Have another look at the antenna. RTFM and see if you can just replace the
electronics board.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 15 Jan 2007 19:47:44 -0800, "
wrote:

use only alkaline batteries............ BRAND NEW

regular carbon zinc cant meet the demands

check the antenna on the opener likely a small wire haning out in space
from the opener

any chance you recently added a fluroscent lamp, espically the compact
type? they can interfer with openers......

Yep, new batteries.

Will check the continuity of the antenna, perhaps vibration has
compromised the wire where it exits the housing?

No new fluorescent lamps.

Thanks for the input.
Mike

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 04:09:17 GMT, AZ Nomad
wrote:

Since a few days ago our garage door opener will only function if we
pull right up to the door and press the button.

Either your transmitter is weak, the receiver is insensitive, or
there is interference.

If multiple remotes all work poorly, then it is probably a bad receiver.
Have another look at the antenna. RTM and see if you can just replace the
electronics board.

Thanks, will look at the antenna again and check for continuity --
then change out the logic board if that doesn't work.

Mike
Posted to alt.home.repair

If all of the transmitters started working the same at the same time,
its a pretty good bet that you can rule out the problem is w/ the
batteries or anything else in the transmitters.

Another possibility is that you may be getting interference from
something inside the house or an outside source & if so changing the
board may not help at all. Unfortunately the only way to know for sure
is to buy a new board & hope it works or take the motor head down &
take it & the remotes to another location & test them.

If the antenna wire is hanging down properly, my first guess would be
is that its interference & changing the board isn't going to do
anything except that you will have a new board that doesn't have any
range either. While it may be possible the board is bad, in most cases
when they go bad the transmitters don't work at all.

DoorDoc
www.DoorsAndOpeners.com

wrote:

Since a few days ago our garage door opener will only function if we
pull right up to the door and press the button.

Either your transmitter is weak, the receiver is insensitive, or
there is interference.

If multiple remotes all work poorly, then it is probably a bad receiver.
Have another look at the antenna. RTM and see if you can just replace the
electronics board.

Thanks, will look at the antenna again and check for continuity --
then change out the logic board if that doesn't work.

Mike

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Since a few days ago our garage door opener will only function if we
pull right up to the door and press the button.

Either your transmitter is weak, the receiver is insensitive, or
there is interference.

If multiple remotes all work poorly, then it is probably a bad receiver.
Have another look at the antenna. RTM and see if you can just replace the
electronics board.

Thanks, will look at the antenna again and check for continuity --
then change out the logic board if that doesn't work.

Mike

Tried a new receiver board and new remote controls with no
improvement. I guess RTFM didn't help much did it? DW.

That seems to leave some sort of interference.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 14:39:50 GMT, oo Mike oo wrote:
Tried a new receiver board and new remote controls with no
improvement. I guess RTFM didn't help much did it? DW.

That seems to leave some sort of interference.

Are you absolutely 100% positive sure you have your transmitters
synched to the receiver? There's a 'training' procedure. Otherwise
there's no for the receiver to know the difference between your transmitters
and your neighbors.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 18:27:28 GMT, AZ Nomad
wrote:

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 14:39:50 GMT, oo Mike oo wrote:
Tried a new receiver board and new remote controls with no
improvement. I guess RTFM didn't help much did it? DW.

That seems to leave some sort of interference.

Are you absolutely 100% positive sure you have your transmitters
synched to the receiver? There's a 'training' procedure. Otherwise
there's no for the receiver to know the difference between your transmitters
and your neighbors.

Please don't assume that I'm a complete ****ing idiot, yes I have the
transmitter trained.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike, quick fix. Solder a low-voltage wire to the antenna wire long enough
to extend to the front of the garage and slip it behind the top stop
moulding and the header jamb so it hangs about 4" into the center of the
opening.

Rich