Ray

Default Garage Door Opener - What's Best

Now have a 7 year old Genie worm gear opener that is very noisy and a real
pain to lubricate every few months to try curtail the noise. Plan on
switching to either a chain or belt system figuring they both just have to
be better. Would appreciate comments from people that have a chain or belt
drive system

Travis Jordan

Ray wrote:
Now have a 7 year old Genie worm gear opener that is very noisy and a
real pain to lubricate every few months to try curtail the noise.
Plan on switching to either a chain or belt system figuring they both
just have to be better. Would appreciate comments from people that
have a chain or belt drive system

I've owned them all - and the Genie is as quiet as any of them if it is
installed properly. Worm drive noise is usually a sign that something
is misaligned.

nospambob

Our 12 year Thompson door with 1/2HP Genie screw drive is almost
noiseless. Each spring it gets a small squirt of screw lube and pivot
points on sectional door get lubed also. No signs of degradation like
the owner shows.

On Thu, 26 May 2005 10:21:03 -0700, "Ray" wrote:

Now have a 7 year old Genie worm gear opener that is very noisy and a real
pain to lubricate every few months to try curtail the noise. Plan on
switching to either a chain or belt system figuring they both just have to
be better. Would appreciate comments from people that have a chain or belt
drive system

Joseph Meehan

Ray wrote:
Now have a 7 year old Genie worm gear opener that is very noisy and a
real pain to lubricate every few months to try curtail the noise.
Plan on switching to either a chain or belt system figuring they both
just have to be better. Would appreciate comments from people that
have a chain or belt drive system

The screw drives have been very reliable, long lasting and quiet for me.
My current ones are 12 years old and the last ones were even older when I
sold that house. I suggest you have a problem that need to be fixed and
the lube is just covering it up.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

toller

Chamberlin's website is pretty helpful.
If I recall properly, chain is best, but belt is quieter.
I don't remember the advantage of the worm gear, but I chose a chain a
couple months ago.

Art

For something different check out Wayne Dalton's site. They have an opener
that fits above the door. Lowes sells it but if you have a Wayne Dalton
store local they will probably install it for less than Lowes. It is very
fast but medium noise level.

"Ray" wrote in message
Now have a 7 year old Genie worm gear opener that is very noisy and a real
pain to lubricate every few months to try curtail the noise. Plan on
switching to either a chain or belt system figuring they both just have to
be better. Would appreciate comments from people that have a chain or belt
drive system

Roger Jensen

I installed two Wayne Dalton I-Drive opener's and WD doors last year, they
are real quiet and an excellent system!! I will never go back to chains or
screws..... I ordered mine from Lowes...

Roger

Bob_M

On Thu, 26 May 2005 10:21:03 -0700, "Ray" wrote:

Now have a 7 year old Genie worm gear opener that is very noisy and a real
pain to lubricate every few months to try curtail the noise. Plan on
switching to either a chain or belt system figuring they both just have to
be better. Would appreciate comments from people that have a chain or belt
drive system

Several years ago I had my two 9' doors and Chamberlain chain openers
replaced with steel insulated Overhead doors and Overhead Phantom
openers (which I believe are made by Alliance (Genie)) belt drive
units. Aside from a sligh humming sound when the motors are running
these units are virtually SILENT. The garage doors are directly
under the master bedroom and I've been able to sneak out in the early
AM without waking the wife. And she is a light sleeper.

Just my $.02 worth...
Mike Dobony

"Ray" wrote in message
Now have a 7 year old Genie worm gear opener that is very noisy and a real
pain to lubricate every few months to try curtail the noise. Plan on
switching to either a chain or belt system figuring they both just have to
be better. Would appreciate comments from people that have a chain or belt
drive system

Who makes a true chain drive system any more? They are chain/cable trash.
As soon as the weak cable broke on mine after only 2 or 3 years I went to
screw drive. Neither system would shut the door in the winter when the temp
got below about 20 degrees. The present Wayne Dalton system is the best so
far. Next step is to buy a commercial grade opener!

As others have pointed out, if you need to lubricate that often you have a
different problem that needs correction.

Brian

I have 2 WD I-Drives. They good but have limits.

Remotes only work short range, you can not just press
the button once, you have to hold it few seconds.

Other issue I have is when I cross the safety beam on
Chamberlands overhead light comes on. I Drive does
nothing. I wish they could fix some of the glitches.

Brian

nospambob

Several years ago a poster suggested holding the transmitter under the
jaw bone at a distance further than it has worked and added the fringe
benefit is your neighbors will be more reluctant to ask to borrow your
tools. It worked for me at a further distance but neighbors don't
request my tools anyway.

On 27 May 2005 09:00:27 -0700, "Brian" wrote:

Remotes only work short range, you can not just press
the button once, you have to hold it few seconds.

Art

Extend the antenna on the IDrive or move it slightly.... something is
probably blocking it. Ours has great reception.
If you have a Wayne Dalton door with their special spring you don't even
need the safety beam.

oups.com...