Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

Default RJ11 Jack, Panel-mount, ROUND HOLE

RJ11 Jack, Panel-mount, ROUND HOLE

Does such a thing exist?

I'm not much good at cutting square holes in panels ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
RJ11 Jack, Panel-mount, ROUND HOLE
Does such a thing exist?

I don't know if one exists specifically for RJ-11, but there are plenty meant
for Ethernet (RJ-45), and you can plug RJ-11 plugs into RJ-45 jacks and all.

See, e.g., http://www.mouser.com/catalog/catalogUSD/643/1328.pdf ,
www.mouser.com/catalog/629/984.pdf ,etc.

---Joel

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

"Joel Koltner" wrote in message
"Jim Thompson" wrote
in message ...
RJ11 Jack, Panel-mount, ROUND HOLE
Does such a thing exist?

I don't know if one exists specifically for RJ-11, but there are plenty
meant for Ethernet (RJ-45), and you can plug RJ-11 plugs into RJ-45 jacks
and all.

See, e.g., http://www.mouser.com/catalog/catalogUSD/643/1328.pdf ,
www.mouser.com/catalog/629/984.pdf ,etc.

---Joel

MMMMM $173 each . bargain.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

Jim Thompson
wrote:

RJ11 Jack, Panel-mount, ROUND HOLE

Does such a thing exist?

I'm not much good at cutting square holes in panels ;-)

Buy a punch or use a milling machine. If the material is soft you can
use a drill-press and a cross vice as well.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 16:30:22 -0600, flipper wrote:

On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 15:11:44 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

RJ11 Jack, Panel-mount, ROUND HOLE

Does such a thing exist?

Mouser has one but it isn't cheap at 27 bucks.

http://www.tycoelectronics.com/catal...en/1-1546415-1

What kind of 'panel'?

May not be elegant but use an RJ11 wall plate for like a buck or two.

I'm not much good at cutting square holes in panels ;-)

...Jim Thompson

ABS Project Box.

Can wall plates be had in black?

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

I'm not much good at cutting square holes in panels ;-)

Buy a punch or use a milling machine. If the material is soft you can
use a drill-press and a cross vice as well.

1/8" ABS

No access to a milling machine.

Can you point me to a punch?

Expensive,very expensive......but good if there's lots to do.

Use a dremel....finish off with a file.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

RJ11 Jack, Panel-mount, ROUND HOLE

Does such a thing exist?

Mouser has one but it isn't cheap at 27 bucks.

http://www.tycoelectronics.com/catal...en/1-1546415-1

What kind of 'panel'?

May not be elegant but use an RJ11 wall plate for like a buck or two.

I'm not much good at cutting square holes in panels ;-)

...Jim Thompson

ABS Project Box.

Can wall plates be had in black?

...Jim Thompson

carve the hole with a dull jack-knife and a nailfile.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

Jim Thompson wrote:

RJ11 Jack, Panel-mount, ROUND HOLE

Does such a thing exist?

I'm not much good at cutting square holes in panels ;-)

Do they have a Home Depot or Lowe's or Builders' Emporium or equivalent
in Arizona?

They've got RJ11's up the ying-yang.

Good Luck!
Rich

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

Peter Bennett wrote:
On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 15:58:34 -0700, Jim Thompson
On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 16:30:22 -0600, flipper wrote:
On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 15:11:44 -0700, Jim Thompson

RJ11 Jack, Panel-mount, ROUND HOLE

Does such a thing exist?

Mouser has one but it isn't cheap at 27 bucks.

http://www.tycoelectronics.com/catal...en/1-1546415-1

What kind of 'panel'?

May not be elegant but use an RJ11 wall plate for like a buck or two.

I'm not much good at cutting square holes in panels ;-)

ABS Project Box.

Can wall plates be had in black?

carve the hole with a dull jack-knife and a nailfile.

Or a hot X-acto knife, or even an X-acto saw.

Good Luck!
Rich

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

TTman wrote:
"Joel Koltner" wrote in message
"Jim Thompson" wrote

RJ11 Jack, Panel-mount, ROUND HOLE
Does such a thing exist?

I don't know if one exists specifically for RJ-11, but there are plenty
meant for Ethernet (RJ-45), and you can plug RJ-11 plugs into RJ-45 jacks
and all.

See, e.g., http://www.mouser.com/catalog/catalogUSD/643/1328.pdf ,
www.mouser.com/catalog/629/984.pdf ,etc.

MMMMM $173 each . bargain.

Not to worry - JT's always crowing about how loaded he is.

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

Jim Thompson wrote:

RJ11 Jack, Panel-mount, ROUND HOLE

Does such a thing exist?

I'm not much good at cutting square holes in panels ;-)

Not a round hole, but a panel mount that would cover little mistakes:

http://www.l-com.com/item.aspx?id=2679

Teflon coated.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 14:22:41 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

RJ11 Jack, Panel-mount, ROUND HOLE

Does such a thing exist?

I'm not much good at cutting square holes in panels ;-)

Not a round hole, but a panel mount that would cover little mistakes:

http://www.l-com.com/item.aspx?id=2679

Thanks, Michael! Perfect! Now no one will know of my "little
mistakes".

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

RJ11 Jack, Panel-mount, ROUND HOLE

Does such a thing exist?

I'm not much good at cutting square holes in panels ;-)

Not a round hole, but a panel mount that would cover little mistakes:

http://www.l-com.com/item.aspx?id=2679

In black...

http://www.l-com.com/item.aspx?id=2690

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

Jim Thompson wrote:

RJ11 Jack, Panel-mount, ROUND HOLE

Does such a thing exist?

I'm not much good at cutting square holes in panels ;-)

Not a round hole, but a panel mount that would cover little
mistakes:

http://www.l-com.com/item.aspx?id=2679

There is a version with a punch down block too. ( as well as usb
versions)

Cheers

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

RJ11 Jack, Panel-mount, ROUND HOLE

Does such a thing exist?

I'm not much good at cutting square holes in panels ;-)

...Jim Thompson

---
I haven't read through the thread but, if no one has else suggested
it, why not nibble out the opening for a snap-in jack in a
square/rectangular piece of 0.062" aluminum, FR-4, etc., then drill 4
mounting holes at its corners, a clearance hole in the ABS box for
the rear of the jack, mounting holes for the panel, and put the thing
together with machine screws?

---
JF
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 12:44:25 -0600, flipper wrote:

wrote:

RJ11 Jack, Panel-mount, ROUND HOLE

Does such a thing exist?

I'm not much good at cutting square holes in panels ;-)

...Jim Thompson

---
I haven't read through the thread but, if no one has else suggested
it, why not nibble out the opening for a snap-in jack in a
square/rectangular piece of 0.062" aluminum, FR-4, etc., then drill 4
mounting holes at its corners, a clearance hole in the ABS box for
the rear of the jack, mounting holes for the panel, and put the thing
together with machine screws?

---
JF

I think he found a solution with this little fellah

http://www.l-com.com/item.aspx?id=2690

Yup. Already ordered.

Now if I could only find some 7mm x 12mm proto board :-(

I found an ancient piezo "ringer" schematic, converted it to 74HCxxx
and added gating. Simulates per the typical tone frequencies, so that
looks good....

http://analog-innovations.com/SED/RingOscNew_Wiring.pdf

And I'm close on the processing logic to answer/hang-up on 800-number
callers.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 12:04:07 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

Now if I could only find some 7mm x 12mm proto board :-(

---
I've got lots of 0.062 thick FR4 perfboard with 0.025 holes in it on a
0.1" grid.

If you can use it tell me how much you need and I'll send you some.

---
JF

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

Now if I could only find some 7mm x 12mm proto board :-(

---
I've got lots of 0.062 thick FR4 perfboard with 0.025 holes in it on a
0.1" grid.

If you can use it tell me how much you need and I'll send you some.

---
JF

I need the equivalent of six boards, each 7mm x 12mm.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

RJ11 Jack, Panel-mount, ROUND HOLE

Does such a thing exist?

I'm not much good at cutting square holes in panels ;-)

...Jim Thompson

---
I haven't read through the thread but, if no one has else suggested
it, why not nibble out the opening for a snap-in jack in a
square/rectangular piece of 0.062" aluminum, FR-4, etc., then drill 4
mounting holes at its corners, a clearance hole in the ABS box for
the rear of the jack, mounting holes for the panel, and put the thing
together with machine screws?

---
JF

I think he found a solution with this little fellah

http://www.l-com.com/item.aspx?id=2690

Yup. Already ordered.

Now if I could only find some 7mm x 12mm proto board :-(

.28 inch by .47 inch ?

I found an ancient piezo "ringer" schematic, converted it to 74HCxxx
and added gating. Simulates per the typical tone frequencies, so that
looks good....

http://analog-innovations.com/SED/RingOscNew_Wiring.pdf

And I'm close on the processing logic to answer/hang-up on 800-number
callers.

...Jim Thompson

Aaaargh!

John Fields, make that 7cm x 12cm :-(

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 16:26:20 -0600, flipper wrote:

wrote:

[...]

For when you run low on freebies

http://www.radioshack.com/search/ind...rfboard&s r=1

...Jim Thompson

Been there already. It's phenolic :-(

In the future I may just layout a smaller version of my IC breadboard
scheme and get it made on one of the PCB websites.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

flipper wrote:
On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 12:04:07 -0700, Jim Thompson

Now if I could only find some 7mm x 12mm proto board :-(

.28 inch by .47 inch ?

9/32 x 1/2? ;-)

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 19:35:07 -0600, flipper wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Yes. What's wrong with phenolic in this application?

In the future I may just layout a smaller version of my IC breadboard
scheme and get it made on one of the PCB websites.

...Jim Thompson

In my Dad's TV shop I saw so many phenolic failures I'm just resistant
;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

[...]

I had one phenolic board with a 1/2" hole burnt through it, in the
early '70s. The OEM couldn't supply a replacement board, so I filled the
hole with Bondo, and replaced the missing traces with scraps of copper
foil that I peeled off junk mainframe computer boards.

Teflon coated.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

[...]

Sno-o-o-ort! That's so funny (and real) I'm laughing so hard I crying
;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

Jim Thompson wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

In my Dad's TV shop I saw so many phenolic failures I'm just resistant

I had one phenolic board with a 1/2" hole burnt through it, in the
early '70s. The OEM couldn't supply a replacement board, so I filled the
hole with Bondo, and replaced the missing traces with scraps of copper
foil that I peeled off junk mainframe computer boards.

Sno-o-o-ort! That's so funny (and real) I'm laughing so hard I crying
;-)

It worked, and the customer was happy with his early Japanese all
Germanium stereo. I always wondered if I should have sent it out to
Earl Schibe for a new paint job? ;-)

Teflon coated.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

For when you run low on freebies

http://www.radioshack.com/search/ind...rfboard&s r=1

...Jim Thompson

Been there already. It's phenolic :-(

Yes. What's wrong with phenolic in this application?

---
In any application, Phenolic is brittle and can easily be broken,
especially when drilling mounting holes close to corners.

FR4, (G10) OTOH, is pretty much indestructible.

---
JF
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

John Fields wrote:
---
In any application, Phenolic is brittle and can easily be broken,
especially when drilling mounting holes close to corners.

Nah. You just have to be smarter than the phenolic. ;-)

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

Jim Thompson Inscribed thus:

wrote:

[...]

You laugh all you want ! I've done similar where the scan coil
connector has burnt holes in the PCB because of bad solder joints.
Cut away the burnt area and used Araldite to fill the hole sandwiched
between strips of wax paper. Replace the connector and use copper wire
the re-establish the connections.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 18:16:26 -0600, flipper wrote:

On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 18:40:29 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 19:35:07 -0600, flipper wrote:

snip

Yes. What's wrong with phenolic in this application?

In the future I may just layout a smaller version of my IC breadboard
scheme and get it made on one of the PCB websites.

...Jim Thompson

In my Dad's TV shop I saw so many phenolic failures I'm just resistant
;-)

Good point, if you were making a 1960's TV

...Jim Thompson

My Dad's trucks featured a sign, "We Don't Service Muntz" ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 18:34:31 -0600, flipper wrote:

wrote:

On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 19:35:07 -0600, flipper wrote:

snip

Yes. What's wrong with phenolic in this application?

In the future I may just layout a smaller version of my IC breadboard
scheme and get it made on one of the PCB websites.

...Jim Thompson

In my Dad's TV shop I saw so many phenolic failures I'm just resistant
;-)

Good point, if you were making a 1960's TV

...Jim Thompson

My Dad's trucks featured a sign, "We Don't Service Muntz" ;-)

LOL

Well, they didn't call him "Madman" Muntz for nothing, you know.

...Jim Thompson

He serviced them for awhile. Then customers started complaining that
my Dad did poor service... as soon as the tubes aged, the reception
degenerated. So he dumped Muntz altogether.

Not that it mattered. Though he was located in Huntington, WV, he
became the largest RCA dealer on the east coast for many years. He
even played golf with David Sarnoff on a regular basis. (Met him on
the Greenbrier golf course at White Sulphur Springs, WV, and they hit
it right off. My father was consistently a par player (*)... even
into his 80's :-)

(*) With five holes-in-one to his credit... Spring Valley and
Guyandotte Country Clubs. Died in 2008 at age 90.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

flipper wrote:

wrote:

On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 19:35:07 -0600, flipper wrote:

snip

Yes. What's wrong with phenolic in this application?

In the future I may just layout a smaller version of my IC breadboard
scheme and get it made on one of the PCB websites.

...Jim Thompson

In my Dad's TV shop I saw so many phenolic failures I'm just resistant
;-)

Good point, if you were making a 1960's TV

...Jim Thompson

My Dad's trucks featured a sign, "We Don't Service Muntz" ;-)

LOL

Well, they didn't call him "Madman" Muntz for nothing, you know.

...Jim Thompson

He serviced them for awhile. Then customers started complaining that
my Dad did poor service... as soon as the tubes aged, the reception
degenerated. So he dumped Muntz altogether.

Yeah, I knew exactly what his sign meant and why. Muntz TV sets had
barely enough parts to work at all, which is why they were uber cheap.

"There's something about a Muntz." You be there was; it's only one
step above junk.

Above?

Teflon coated.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

flipper wrote:

On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 20:43:31 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
? wrote:

?
?flipper wrote:
??
?? On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 18:05:45 -0700, Jim Thompson
?? ? wrote:
??
?? ?On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 18:34:31 -0600, flipper ? wrote:
?? ?
?? ??On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 17:23:27 -0700, Jim Thompson
?? ? wrote:
?? ??
?? ???On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 18:16:26 -0600, flipper ? wrote:
?? ???
?? ????On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 18:40:29 -0700, Jim Thompson
?? ? wrote:
?? ????
?? ?????On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 19:35:07 -0600, flipper ? wrote:
?? ?????
?? ?????snip?
?? ????
?? ??????
?? ??????Yes. What's wrong with phenolic in this application?
?? ??????
?? ???????
?? ???????In the future I may just layout a smaller version of my IC breadboard
?? ???????scheme and get it made on one of the PCB websites.
?? ???????
?? ??????? ...Jim Thompson
?? ?????
?? ?????In my Dad's TV shop I saw so many phenolic failures I'm just resistant
?? ?????;-)
?? ????
[...]

Sure. Out of the box they usually worked for 'some' period of time.
That's a bit better than junk.

I never saw on 'just out of the box'. Like Packard Bell, we didn't
see them in our area till they WERE junk.

Teflon coated.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

flipper wrote:

On Mon, 21 Feb 2011 00:11:19 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
? wrote:

?
?flipper wrote:
??
?? On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 20:43:31 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
?? ? wrote:
??
?? ?
?? ?flipper wrote:
?? ??
?? ?? On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 18:05:45 -0700, Jim Thompson
?? ?? ? wrote:
?? ??
?? ?? ?On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 18:34:31 -0600, flipper ? wrote:
?? ?? ?
?? ?? ??On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 17:23:27 -0700, Jim Thompson
?? ?? ? wrote:
?? ?? ??
?? ?? ???On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 18:16:26 -0600, flipper ? wrote:
?? ?? ???
?? ?? ????On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 18:40:29 -0700, Jim Thompson
?? ?? ? wrote:
?? ?? ????
?? ?? ?????On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 19:35:07 -0600, flipper ? wrote:
?? ?? ?????
?? ?? ?????snip?
?? ?? ????
?? ?? ??????
?? ?? ??????Yes. What's wrong with phenolic in this application?
?? ?? ??????
?? ?? ???????
?? ?? ???????In the future I may just layout a smaller version of my IC breadboard
?? ?? ???????scheme and get it made on one of the PCB websites.
?? ?? ???????
?? ?? ??????? ...Jim Thompson
?? ?? ?????In my Dad's TV shop I saw so many phenolic failures I'm just resistant
[...]

Well, just about everything ends up there sooner or later but Muntz
TVs started off closer to the heap.

I only saw one of them, but that was enough. It looked like it was
built from pre W.W. II surplus.

Teflon coated.