Bert Hyman

Default Blind hole mount a 3.5" utility box?

Our garage was vandalised yesterday. Somebody ripped out a light
fixture holding two flood lights, apparently just so they could then
break the bulbs in the alley. The fixture, still attached to the 3.5"
round plastic utility box, was left hanging by its wiring.

The fixture was mounted to the sofit on the underside of an eave
overhang of the garage.

On examination, it looks like the guy who built the garage simply cut
a round hole in the aluminum siding at that point and made a
cunningly bent bracket out of sheet metal which somehow held the
fixture in place for 10 years.

There's nothing but empty space behind the opening and I don't think
there's any access to the space from inside the garage (not for
normal sized humans anyway). The bracket that used to hold the
fixture in place is pretty bent up, so I'm not sure I can duplicate
the magic that was used in the original installation. The siding has
the structural strength of a soda can, so I can get it back into
shape with no problem.

Is there any "standard" technique for mounting a box in this
situation?

--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN |
Rick

"Bert Hyman" wrote in message
[...]

Old work ceiling box...

John McGaw

Rick wrote:
"Bert Hyman" wrote in message

[...]

But if there is nothing of substance for the old work box to clamp onto
it is going to be a pretty wobbly installation. Although it would be
pretty expensive it might be possible to insert one of the expandable
support bars made for hanging ceiling fans through the opening and have
it bridge the gap between the joists. The problem then might be whether
it is possible to attach a standard ceiling box to the support if the
existing opening happens to be far off center. Not having used one of
these supports I don't know how their attachments work. Might be worth a
look at one in the nearest borg though.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Luke

On 16 Jun 2005 14:26:13 GMT, Bert Hyman wrote:

[...]

Cut some boards slightly longer than the hole. 2x4, 1x4, 1x3 whatever
fits and whatever will build out to the appropriate depth to mount a
box. Angle a board in the hole and screw it to the back wall, being
careful not to use screws so long they protrude on the inside of the
garage, then successively attach more boards till the depth is
correct. Attach the electrical box, regular or pancake, to the board.

--
Luke
"I repeat, personal accounts do not permanently fix the solution."
-- George W. Bush, March 16, 2005

Chip C

John McGaw wrote:
Rick wrote:
"Bert Hyman" wrote in message

[...]

I happened to put one of these in last weekend, for a ceiling fan. I
got it at the big orange store for C$18 (so it'll be like $7.95 in the
US, right?), branded Westinghouse no less. The bar has toothed disks on
either end for grabbing wooden joists and extends out to (as I recall)
24". And once in place it has exactly the same connections as a
standard ceiling box, except of course they're solid enough for an 80
lb ceiling fan.

So yeah, that would be my suggestion.

Chip C
Toronto

Rick

"John McGaw" wrote in message
t...
Rick wrote:
"Bert Hyman" wrote in message

[...]

I had assumed since it was aluminum soffit there might be 1/4 plywood
underneath. Fan mount brace would work against the rafter tails or
maybe between the fascia and top plate...