Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

Default DP3T Switch?

I can't seem to locate a DP3T switch, toggle or slide that has
ON-ON-ON

All I can find is ON-OFF-ON types :-(

Can someone point me to a source?

(Cheap at one-off :-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
Can someone point me to a source?

Check out several on this page:
http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...s-Slide/1.html

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

Jim Thompson wrote:
I can't seem to locate a DP3T switch, toggle or slide that has
ON-ON-ON

All I can find is ON-OFF-ON types :-(

Can someone point me to a source?

(Cheap at one-off :-)

Digikey has plenty to choose from. E.g., 0.1A/12V slide On-on-on
DP3T for ~$1.
Products - Switches - DP3T - Slide - DP3T - etc

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 10:20:12 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

I can't seem to locate a DP3T switch, toggle or slide that has
ON-ON-ON

All I can find is ON-OFF-ON types :-(

Can someone point me to a source?

(Cheap at one-off :-)

...Jim Thompson

---

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...14211&k=switch

---
JF

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

I can't seem to locate a DP3T switch, toggle or slide that has
ON-ON-ON

All I can find is ON-OFF-ON types :-(

Can someone point me to a source?

(Cheap at one-off :-)

...Jim Thompson

---

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...14211&k=switch

---
JF

Maybe I don't know it's played, but I get "No records match your
search criteria"

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
I can't seem to locate a DP3T switch, toggle or slide that has
ON-ON-ON

I was looking for a 6 pole, double throw relay with 48V coil to replace some
that went flaky in our elevator control panel. They're obsolete and if you
can find them at all, run about $75 each. Found some with a different
footprint and may have to make an adaptor board...
This is for the elevator in my office and I'd just as soon replace the
entire rack of clackedy-clacks with a simple PLC (if only the maintenance
company hadn't stolen the system wiring diagram).

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

I can't seem to locate a DP3T switch, toggle or slide that
has
ON-ON-ON

All I can find is ON-OFF-ON types :-(

Can someone point me to a source?

(Cheap at one-off :-)

...Jim Thompson

---

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...14211&k=switch

---
JF

Maybe I don't know it's played, but I get "No records match
your
search criteria"

Did you try it my way instead of a direct search?

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

I can't seem to locate a DP3T switch, toggle or slide that has
ON-ON-ON

All I can find is ON-OFF-ON types :-(

Can someone point me to a source?

(Cheap at one-off :-)

...Jim Thompson

---

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...14211&k=switch

---
JF

Maybe I don't know it's played, but I get "No records match your
search criteria"

...Jim Thompson

---
You can only click one thing at a time and then click the "apply
filters" box.

That'll narrow your choices down further, and to narrow them more and
more do the same thing over and over.

For example, if you click on "On-On-On" in the "Switch Function" box
and the click the "APPLY FILTERS" button, that'll eliminate all of the
other switch functions on the next page and let you choose the next
thing you want to filter on.

If you click on "DP3T" under "Circuit" and then click "Apply Filters"

Finally, if you click on a manufacturer and "Apply Filters" on the

I chose CW Industries because I like their stuff, and the next page
shows their offerings.

The first entry isn't bad; 125V @3A for $0.78 qty 1.

---
JF

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 14:02:12 -0500, "Oppie" wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
I can't seem to locate a DP3T switch, toggle or slide that has
ON-ON-ON

I was looking for a 6 pole, double throw relay with 48V coil to replace some
that went flaky in our elevator control panel. They're obsolete and if you
can find them at all, run about $75 each. Found some with a different
footprint and may have to make an adaptor board...
This is for the elevator in my office and I'd just as soon replace the
entire rack of clackedy-clacks with a simple PLC (if only the maintenance
company hadn't stolen the system wiring diagram).

Why not use 3 X DPDT or 2 X 3PDT?

Should be a lot cheaper than $75...

Here's a pretty nice one; DPDT contacts rated for 250VAC @ 5A, 48V
11mA coil, @2.99 each, qty 1.

$9 VS $75 is pretty much a no-brainer, huh?

---
JF
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

"Joel Koltner" wrote in message

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
Can someone point me to a source?

Check out several on this page:
http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...s-Slide/1.html

--------
None of those are DP3T. The sliders only bridge the nearest two contacts and
do not function as the OP requested.

Are you another GymieBob / Josepi troll moron?

mike

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

[...]

OK. I guess I didn't understand that you apply one "filter" at a time
:-(

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Oppie" wrote in message ...

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
I can't seem to locate a DP3T switch, toggle or slide that has
ON-ON-ON

I was looking for a 6 pole, double throw relay with 48V coil to replace some
that went flaky in our elevator control panel. They're obsolete and if you
can find them at all, run about $75 each. Found some with a different
footprint and may have to make an adaptor board...
This is for the elevator in my office and I'd just as soon replace the
entire rack of clackedy-clacks with a simple PLC (if only the maintenance
company hadn't stolen the system wiring diagram).

You may have some legal problems with an elevator. Better check that one out
first.

You are probably smarter than the morons at the elevator service but some
regulations will apply there.

mike

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

[...]

The instructions are on the filter pages right under the "Search
Again" box.

---
JF
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 13:55:42 -0600, John Fields
wrote:

[...]

Oops...

It's at:

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...me=255-1119-ND

---
JF
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 14:55:45 -0500, "m II" wrote:

"Joel Koltner" wrote in message

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
Can someone point me to a source?

Check out several on this page:
http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...s-Slide/1.html

--------
None of those are DP3T. The sliders only bridge the nearest two contacts and
do not function as the OP requested.

Are you another GymieBob / Josepi troll moron?

mike

---
Ermmm...

The SSW-54 and the SSW-64 are DP3T.

---
JF
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

"m II" wrote in message
None of those are DP3T. The sliders only bridge the nearest two contacts and
do not function as the OP requested.

Hmm... I see. I mean, those *are* "on-on-on" "DP3T" switches
(http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...SWITCH/1.html),
but I expect you're correct that they're not what Jim is after given that he
was thinking toggle switches as well.

I'll be interested to see if we can find a DP3T switch of the kind Jim is
after; seems like it is pretty unusual.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

[...]

I would be extremely reluctant to f*ck with the design of an
commercial elevator. A stuck contact, for example, might do Bad
Things, and there could be consequences:
http://www.jurispro.com/category/ele...calator-s-312/

That said, fairly recently I did modify the design of a residential
elevator somewhat (they didn't do a very good job, as it turns out)
but the regulations for residential elevators are essentially
nonexistent, and I'm comfortable with assuming the liability for my
changes in any case. The relays used to switch the motor etc. were at
least quite robust and were not the source of the problems (more of a
symptom when they chattered).

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 12:12:33 -0800, "Joel Koltner"
wrote:

"m II" wrote in message
None of those are DP3T. The sliders only bridge the nearest two contacts and
do not function as the OP requested.

Hmm... I see. I mean, those *are* "on-on-on" "DP3T" switches
(http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...SWITCH/1.html),
but I expect you're correct that they're not what Jim is after given that he
was thinking toggle switches as well.

I'll be interested to see if we can find a DP3T switch of the kind Jim is
after; seems like it is pretty unusual.

---
Jim asked for _either_ a slide switch or a toggle switch, so the DP3T
ones you showed were fine.

Toggles are harder to find, but there are some out there.

Here's a few:

http://www.mouser.com/Electromechani...h+Function%7c1

---
JF
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

Come to think of it, I'd just look for a rotary switch, e.g.,
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...ame=CKN9888-ND

....but it appears there are some toggle switches that meet the bill as well,
e.g.,
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...M2044SD3W01-ND

Intriguing...

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

[...]

"Instructions" ?? Isn't that what you read when all else fails ?:-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

John Fields wrote:
---
The instructions are on the filter pages right under the "Search
Again" box.

"
When all else fails, read the instructions! ;-P

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

OK. I guess I didn't understand that you apply one "filter"
at a
time :-(

...Jim Thompson
---
The instructions are on the filter pages right under the
Again" box.

---
JF

"Instructions" ?? Isn't that what you read when all else
fails ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

---
Yup, RTFM. :-)

It just so happens that I recently read an old issue of Reader's
Digest in which a filler, on the subject of learning to use a new
gadget, said something to the effect of "Once you master the
thing, you begin to understand the instructions that came with
it".

But I'm puzzled. I was the first reply to Jim's post and
suggested the filter sequence that got me there in a few seconds.
I even pointed out a suitable slide switch as an example. The
filter sequence has been discussed at length but no one seemed to
notice my post. Made me wonder if I'd been killfiled by everyone.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

Pimpom wrote:

But I'm puzzled. I was the first reply to Jim's post and
suggested the filter sequence that got me there in a few seconds.
I even pointed out a suitable slide switch as an example. The
filter sequence has been discussed at length but no one seemed to
notice my post. Made me wonder if I'd been killfiled by everyone.

No, it's Thompson who has everyone but his little select inner party
killfiled. He's just some overgrown petulant spoiled brat who either
ignored your post or didn't comprehend what you were trying to say.

Reminds me of those googlies that ask a question and when people start
giving answers, they say, "No, that's not it..."

I've given up on providing useful answers to Thompson (he's got
me killfiled, of course, because I call him on his bull****) so
don't lose any sleep over it; he's not worth the bother.

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

[...]

Actually, Joel Koltner's reply preceded yours by about 10 minutes, and
your filter sequence:

"Products - Switches - DP3T - Slide - DP3T - etc"

was flawed.
---

even pointed out a suitable slide switch as an example. The
filter sequence has been discussed at length but no one seemed to
notice my post. Made me wonder if I'd been killfiled by everyone.

---
I'm sure you haven't been killfiled by anyone, being as non-offensive
as you seem to be and, since not having a post be replied to is common
(almost de rigueur) on USENET, you'll just have to grow a thicker
skin.

Also, be prepared for the eventuality that when you post a perfect
solution for someone what you'll get in return is perfect silence.

---
JF

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

But I'm puzzled. I was the first reply to Jim's post and
suggested the filter sequence that got me there in a few
seconds.

---
Actually, Joel Koltner's reply preceded yours by about 10
minutes, and
your filter sequence:

I didn't see JK's reply. Still can't. Most probably because he
posted it in the binaries group which my newsserver doesn't do.

"Products - Switches - DP3T - Slide - DP3T - etc"

was flawed.

If you say so. Ordering from Digikey and Mouser is not a
practicable option for me, so I only use them occasionally for
reference. I reasoned that, if _I_ could locate the part in a
matter of seconds, those of you who can use them regularly as
sources would need only a pointer in the general direction
without detailed instructions. Seems I was wrong.

even pointed out a suitable slide switch as an example. The
filter sequence has been discussed at length but no one seemed
notice my post. Made me wonder if I'd been killfiled by
everyone.

---
I'm sure you haven't been killfiled by anyone, being as
non-offensive
as you seem to be and, since not having a post be replied to is
common
(almost de rigueur) on USENET, you'll just have to grow a
thicker
skin.

Oh, I'm not that sensitive. I've been around Usenet for over a
decade, long enough to know what it's like. My comment about
killfiles was meant as a figure of speech.

Also, be prepared for the eventuality that when you post a
perfect
solution for someone what you'll get in return is perfect
silence.

I've seen that happen many times. But on most such occasions, the
OP is usually someone who drops in just to ask the one question
and then goes away again indefinitely, not a veteran like JT.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Spehro Pefhany" wrote in message
On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 14:04:57 -0600, John Fields

I would be extremely reluctant to f*ck with the design of an
commercial elevator. A stuck contact, for example, might do Bad
Things, and there could be consequences:
http://www.jurispro.com/category/ele...calator-s-312/

That said, fairly recently I did modify the design of a residential
elevator somewhat (they didn't do a very good job, as it turns out)
but the regulations for residential elevators are essentially
nonexistent, and I'm comfortable with assuming the liability for my
changes in any case. The relays used to switch the motor etc. were at
least quite robust and were not the source of the problems (more of a
symptom when they chattered).

Yeah, liabilities understood.
Was chatting with the elevator tech that comes once a month and seems to do
nothing more than scratch his head. Mentioned that would be interesting to
see if a cheap PLC would replace the rack of 29 relays. He offered to send
me the regulations for elevator design. Will see if he delivers.

Hydraulic elevator, 2 floor.
Reversing contactors wired for powering the pump 3 phase for up and shorting
the motor for down to give drag.
Rest of the system consists of low voltage relays running the logic and a
handfull of relays that handle the 110/208 vac interfaces.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

But I'm puzzled. I was the first reply to Jim's post and
suggested the filter sequence that got me there in a few
seconds.

---
Actually, Joel Koltner's reply preceded yours by about 10
minutes, and
your filter sequence:

I didn't see JK's reply. Still can't. Most probably because he
posted it in the binaries group which my newsserver doesn't do.

---
It was posted to sci.electronics.design, sci.electronics.cad, and
alt.binaries.schematics.electronic.

Here it is without headers:

BEGIN QUOTE

"Jim Thompson"
wrote in
message ...
Can someone point me to a source?

Check out several on this page:
http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...s-Slide/1.html

END QUOTE

"Products - Switches - DP3T - Slide - DP3T - etc"

was flawed.

If you say so.

---
It's a fact, just take a look at "DP3T" entered twice.
---

Ordering from Digikey and Mouser is not a
practicable option for me, so I only use them occasionally for
reference. I reasoned that, if _I_ could locate the part in a
matter of seconds, those of you who can use them regularly as
sources would need only a pointer in the general direction
without detailed instructions. Seems I was wrong.

---
Seems you were.

Arguably, a better strategy might have been to provide a link to the
top-level "SWITCH" filter page or just a link to the starting page of
the DP3T slide or toggle switches.

---
JF
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

[...]

After all this, the problem, that would be "solved" via a DP3T switch,
has been fixed, so there's no longer a need ;-)

Thanks anyway! Now I know how to search Digikey ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

"m II" wrote in message ...

John, wake up. You're being trolled. Check the message headers and
operating systems being used.

I've been sending his forgeries to:

!

Thanks for the reminder.
ooops time for more daily postings about my plight,

mike