What can you with a lathe?

Old January 18th 04, 07:52 PM
T.

Default What can you do with a lathe? You can't make spindles very fast

Sun, Jan 18, 2004, 11:33am (EST-2)
(Joe=A0"Woody"=A0Woodpecker) claims:
You want to talk about fun. Well, fun is when you turn a pair of
spindles, each looking like twisted rope with a hollow center (left
twist and right twist) that has none of the strands touching, and you
install them on the chair or chest you are building.

No ii's not. Might be fun to make one, just to make one, but most
of them are really kinds ugly, to me.

Fun is when you make for a friend the stair styles he needs when he is
building his house.

No, that would be helping out.

Fun is knowing that your turning is better than Norm's.

I don't care if my turning is better than Norm's or not. I don't
do things to show him, or anyone else up (well, I could makean
exception on that for Bob).

Fun is knowing when you can make more stylish turnings that your friends
that just have a lathe.

See above answer.

Fun is being able to complete a project because you're not 'playing' on
a lathe.

When I "play" on my lathe, I'm not doing a project, I'm having fun.

Fun is seeing results in minutes.

I don't have a time limit on my pjects, I 'm not mass producing
stuff, so I really don't care.

Fun is turning several 2" dowels in a matter of minutes, all with an
exact duplication.

Considering that if I needed 2" dowels, I'd be just as likely to
bandsaw the wood to size, then whittle them out with a knife, so exact
duplication just dosen't enter into it, somehow. Especially since I
only need dowels every few years.

Fun is knowing you don't have to spend $400 plus on a lathe duplicator.

No, fun is making a lathe duplicator, out of mostly scrap plywood,
probably. Seeing as I'm not a production shop, that'd be close enough.

Fun is knowing you don't have to make jigs to finish a project.

Fun is knowing I have to make jigs to finish a project.

Need I go on.

Please, no!!

JOAT
You have two choices in life: You can dissolve into the mainstream, or
you can be distinct. To be distinct is to be different. To be different,
you must strive to be what no one else but you can be.
- Alan Ashley-Pitt=A0=A0=A0

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT
Web Page Update 15 Jan 2004.
Some tunes I like.
http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofal...OMETUNESILIKE/

Old January 18th 04, 08:10 PM
Mo' Sawdust

If *we* mention your name, will *we* get a discount on the price
when calling that number for that well engineered product?

Also, if someone posts an item on the rec saying how they prefer to
sharpen their shop pencil with a pocket knife or a chisel, will you
rebuke them for not having the latest electric pencil sharpener?

--
Think thrice, measure twice and cut once.

Sanding is like paying taxes ... everyone has to do it, but it is
important to take steps to minimize it.

There is only one period and no underscores in the real email address.

Old January 18th 04, 08:16 PM
T.

Default What can you do with a lathe? Do more with a legacy

Sun, Jan 18, 2004, 12:19pm (EST-2)
(Joe=A0"Woody"=A0Woodpecker) says:
OK, I would like to see or even have an explanation snip
Or a pedestal base snip

Told you. There's books can tell you how to do it.

can you make it in less than a half an hour?

I'm not a production shop. I do woodworking for fun. So, why in
the name of the Seven Bouncing Hells would I care if I could do it in
half an hour, or not? I'd probably be slobbering over the thought of a
machine that could do something like that, if I did woodworking for a
significant, or total, part of my living. But, I don't, so I don't
care. However, if I did do it for a living, I'd probably already know
about it, and have one, passed on it already. or be saving for one.

Sure leaves a lot of free time to do other projects, instead of
"playing" on a project.

My woodworking IS play. I don't HAVE to stretch a 3 hour project
out to 3 days, but I often do. I could do the same quality work in the
3 hours, but if I did that all the time, that'd be work, not fun.
Getting paid for some of my stuff is just gravy.

Why don't you call for a DVD? snip

Because I don't wan' no steenkin' DVD.

I just know what is easy to use for the novice.

Sounds more like you're pimping for the company. Mention it once,
then if anyone's interested, they can check it out. Anything more than
that, it's annoying.

If it's that simple, it also sounds like it would get very boring,
very fast.

Old January 18th 04, 09:12 PM
Andy Dingley

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 20:31:06 -0700 (MST), (Joe
"Woody" Woodpecker) wrote:

First off, I wouldn't own a lathe. You see you can't make flutes or
reeds with a lathe.

You make a jig to go on it and add a router. I can flute with a
lathe, a router and a gutter jig made of three planks. For reeding I
don't even use the router, just a #66 Stanley.

You can't make rope like spirals with a lathe.

If I want spirals, I'll go and buy some of the plethora of '20s
"Jacobean" that's around, then saw them off. I get matching spirals
easily, and I reduce the amount of this ugly stuff that's still out
there dodging the firewood pile.

Then I'll gouge out my eyeballs for inflicting more of this bloody
mock Tudor on the world.

You can't make exact duplication with a lathe.

Nor can you with this. I can imagine it turning a baseball bat, but
lets see it make a gunstock or a pair of clogs..

You can't make rosettes,
mortises, tenons, contours, dadoes and arches.

I can make tenons with a froe if I want to, and on occasion I've don
it. However it's not the best way, and neither is your Legacy machine.

What I would buy is a Legacy Ornamental Milling machine.

This thing is 600 quid ! For that money I can have it hand-carved in
Bali. For 600 notes, I expect to get a Holtzappfell !

Here's a much cheaper version, if you really want barley-sugar twists

http://www.trendmachinery.co.uk/routerlathe/

A LATHE IS A WASTE OF MONEY AFTER YOU SEE THIS MACHINE.

Next you'll be telling me I need a few grands worth of tenoner before
I can make a rabbit hutch.

Sure, this is a great machine if you want to make twirlies all day,
and you have a need or market for that many twirlies. But if I wanted
to work in a twirly factory, I'd get a job in one. It's all too easy
to buy some expensive machines because they deliver factory production
levels, then find you must spend the next 25 years working on what's
now a production-line in a bank-owned factory to pay for them.

Old January 19th 04, 12:08 AM
Dave Balderstone

In article ,
Joe "Woody" Woodpecker wrote:

Need I go on.

One hopes not, but one has been disappointed before.

djb

--
There are no socks in my email address.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Old January 19th 04, 01:14 AM
Silvan

Andy Dingley wrote:

"Jacobean" that's around, then saw them off. I get matching spirals
easily, and I reduce the amount of this ugly stuff that's still out
there dodging the firewood pile.

LMAO!! Good on ya, Andy. The world will be a better place with that stuff
recycled into something less ugly.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Old January 19th 04, 01:52 AM
Puff Griffis

You just don't get it do you ? I ENJOY playing in my shop. I make =
cardboard boxes for a living I don't need to work when I get home I need =
to relax. Wood working fits the bill. If its making a oak end table for =
my Mother or scrolling out a dog out line clock for my Daughter, she is =
an Army M.P. in the K9 corps, or just turning a dice cup out of some =
scrap I laminated together. IT'S FUN GET IT.
Puff

"Joe "Woody" Woodpecker" wrote in message =

You want to talk about fun. Well, fun is when you turn a pair of
spindles, each looking like twisted rope with a hollow center (left
twist and right twist) that has none of the strands touching, and you
install them on the chair or chest you are building. Fun is when you
make for a friend the stair styles he needs when he is building his
house. Fun is knowing that your turning is better than Norm's. Fun is
knowing when you can make more stylish turnings that your friends that
just have a lathe. Fun is being able to complete a project because
you're not 'playing' on a lathe. Fun is seeing results in minutes. Fun
is turning several 2" dowels in a matter of minutes, all with an exact
duplication. Fun is knowing you don't have to spend $400 plus on a
lathe duplicator. Fun is knowing you don't have to make jigs to finish
a project.

Need I go on.

--

=20
Puff Griffis wrote

=20
So Joe, how fun is the Legacy ? I work with wood because I enjoy=20
it. That's all its not to make a living its to have fun. Sure I

supplement=20
my income a bit with the things I make but I have FUN. Get my=20
point ? Puff

--
Woody

Check out my Web Page at:=20

http://community-1.webtv.net/Woodwor...workerJoesInfo

Where you will find:

******** How My Shop Works ******** 5-21-03

* * * Build a $20 DC Separator Can Lid. 1-14-03
* * * DC Relay Box Building Plans. 1-14-03
* * * The Bad Air Your Breath Everyday.1-14-03
* * * What is a Real Woodworker? 2-8-03
* * * Murphy's Woodworking Definitions. 2-8-03
* * * Murphy's Woodworking Laws. 4-6-03
* * * What is the true meaning of life? 1-14-03
* * * Woodworker Shop Signs. 2-8-03

Old January 19th 04, 03:20 AM
[email protected]

Joe Woody Woodpecker wrote about a bunch of esoteric stuff.

You know, I've never even wanted to make any of those things, much less
needed to. My lathe makes duplicates, copiers are an add-on if you
really want one. I find that a ruler, and pencil, and a caliper does
just fine for dupes. My lathe decreases my blood pressure and makes my
wife happy. Programming a machine to do something is enjoyable, it's
coding. Been there, done that.
Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work