Don

Default What can you do with a lathe? You can't make spindles very fast

"Bridger" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 03:39:09 GMT, "Don"
wrote:

"Joe "Woody" Woodpecker" wrote
Make a few samples of spindles that you can't buy at the local borg.
Show them you can make these for contractors on an as needed basis.
Make a book of samples and take them into the borg where they can show
the unique styles you can make to their contractors and customers. Let
the borg know you can make custom replacements of broken items.

Contact
a home builder who may be interested in a special design. Build
furniture for a local consignment store. Build furniture for a local
interior designer.

BTW, A Legacy comes with a design pad that helps you design the shapes
you need.

How long did it take you to become proficient with the Legacy and which
model do you own?
I emailed them for a DVD and find the whole concept enlightening though
there is little chance I could ever afford one.

I have a couple of 8' aluminum I beams. I have used them in router
jigs before. the idea of expanding on the legacy concept has some
appeal....

Indeed.
I am in the process right now of fabricating, out of stock aluminum channel,
a device that will ride in both the t-slots on my table saw that will
support a small piece of wood in various positions over the rotating blade.
Sort of a modification of the idea of feeding wood into the blade on an
angle to create a wide cove cut. I want to be able to rotate the wood, at
varying angles, above the blade to create symetrical/radial patterns and
carve large bowls.
Woodys comparison of the Legacy to a Lathe is invalid though as they are two
different tools. And, you can buy a lathe for a few hundred bucks and the
Legacy is quite a bit more.