Chris

Default What can you do with a lathe? Do more with a legacy

(Joe "Woody" Woodpecker) wrote in message ...
OK, I would like to see or even have an explanation on how you would
make a spindle that looks like a three wrap twisted rope, only none of
the twists are touching each other except where the rope connects to the
square ends. Now remember the center of the rope is hollow, no wood
there.

Or a pedestal base for a table which is 5" in diameter and has 12 flutes
on a 1" taper over 2'. Each flute is 1\2" deep. And if that is all
that is on it, can you make it in less than a half an hour?

Sure leaves a lot of free time to do other projects, instead of
"playing" on a project.

Why don't you call for a DVD? 1-800-279-4570. THIS IS NOT SPAM AS I
HAVE NO CONNECTION WITH THE COMPANY. I just know what is easy to use
for the novice.

Woody,

Haven't seen you here in a few months. It's be a wonderful few
months.

I think you not only miss the point, but you are misinformed also.

I have seen all of the items you mentioned made on a lathe - don't
know how they do it, but they do it. So the Legacy is not the ONLY
way to make these things.

Most of the people that make them can SELL them as ART (I know of some
who do), for much more than you could sell your robot made pieces for.
So the Legacy is not the only way to profitably make items (or
necessarily the MOST profitable way either).

I own a lathe and most of the projects I have done so far have little
or no usefulness (compared to my other woodworking projects - stools,
furniture, toys, etc). Yet I really enjoy working on the lathe - it
is almost theraputic. Don't think I would get the same enjoyment
using the legacy. Am I "playing?" Definitely! Would not have it any
other way.

Ask an artist if they could get a more realistic rendering of a
picture, in less time with paint-by-numbers rather than the
"old-fashioned" way of free-handing it with no formal plans and I
imagine that most would say "Yes." Ask them if they would consider
doing it that way and most would say "No."

Sounds like it is quite an impressive machine. But I couldn't let the
post go unanswered, lest anyone be discouraged from owning a lathe.
My lathe is definitely my "desert island" machine.

-Chris