Dave Mundt

Default What can you do with a lathe? Do more with a legacy

Greetings and Salutations.
Well, thought I would toss my $0.02 in this ****ing
contest....
I remember lusting over this sort of thing when
I was a teenager. It just looked too cool for words, because
it did not require me to spend any time learning a skill,
and would allow me to turn out ornate bits.
Well, I am older now...and while I think, on
occasion, it would be nice to have the toy, I don't lust
after it any longer.
In that continuing argument between Normites and
Neaders, my rule of thumb is that if the machine simply
makes it easier for your skill to turn out something,
it is still "hand made". If the only skill required is
to put stock in the machine and set it up, then, the
MACHINE does all the work, it is not hand work any longer.
Also, considering that this is a RECREATIONAL
group, I am not sure that we are that interested in production,
and, if we actually WERE, I suspect it would be worthwhile
to simply invest in a CNC router and let it crank out
parts in short order.
It is fine to use the Legacy mill. It is fine
NOT to use the Legacy mill...There are some things that
the Legacy will do easily that are harder and require more
skill to do on a lathe. There are things that a lathe
will do better and easier than the Legacy... No tool
will do everything.
Regards
Dave Mundt