Silvan

Default What can you do with a lathe? Do more with a legacy

Bridger wrote:

over the years, and nothing has ever impressed her so much as this damn
candle holder.

and just what are you doing sitting typing at your computer?

I was waiting for the kids to go to bed.

The more I think about it, the more sad it is in some ways. I spent a MONTH
on that damn chess box. I hand surfaced all the lumber with only two
low-quality hand planes. I wrestled my POS boat anchor table saw into
cutting the strips straight enough to glue up. I planed and glued, cut and
planed and glued, then planed and planed and PLANED to get that damn board
to come out right.

I cut the miters on the frames PERFECTLY, and I attached them with splines
for perfect alignment and no through joinery. I again wrestled with the
POS boat anchor to do finger joints for the box. No dado set, so I had to
do 3/32" fingers. Lots and lots of 3/32" fingers. I had to re-make the
finger jig three times, then cut, and cut, and cut. They didn't fit qutie
right, so I had to go between them with sandpaper wrapped around a popsicle
stick. All umpty gajillion fingers.

Then I planed and planed and planed and planed. Then I chiseled and planed
and planed and chiseled and screwed and nailed. Then I coated it with
around 10 coats of shellac and at least two coats of paste wax. THEN I
lined the damn thing with velvet, made velvet-covered trays for the pieces
one in walnut, one in maple, etc. etc. etc.

100 hours, easy. A month of spending every spare minute in the shop.
Gallons of sweat, sore arms, occasional blood. $60 in materials.

It got me a "that's nice dear" but this stupid CANDLE HOLDER, which I made
in about two hours, out of a piece of wood left over from when my neighbor
pruned her tree, got me laid.

Something is just wrong with this picture folks.

Maybe this is why so many people who take up turning wind up giving up
flatwood. 100 hours of sweat gets a nod, while one hour of mindless fun
gets you the key to the furry gates?

What can you do with a lathe? Get laid! Chicks dig men who turn sticks.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/