Straightening S2S boards on the Table Saw

Old July 21st 08, 10:10 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Straightening S2S boards on the Table Saw

For years I have been using a jig to straighten my boards on my table
saw, it does a much better and faster job than my jointer. The Walnut Desk
that I recently built and posted pictures of had 2, 15" x 60" panels made up
of 3 boards each. The desk top 31" x 60" was made from 6 glued up boards.
All edges were prepared on the TS using the jig and a 40 tooth Forrest WWII.
The joints for the most part are undetectable unless the grain was
significantly different or unless you looked at the ends of the panels.

The current Woodsmith magazine, No. 178, has a picture of a jig that
uses the exact same technique and method that I use but their jog is a bit
more refined. I highly recommend checking out this issue if you are
interested in making straight glue line joints whether you have a jointer or
not.

Old July 22nd 08, 06:26 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 16:10:32 -0500, "Leon"
wrote:

For years I have been using a jig to straighten my boards on my table
saw, it does a much better and faster job than my jointer. The Walnut Desk
that I recently built and posted pictures of had 2, 15" x 60" panels made up
of 3 boards each. The desk top 31" x 60" was made from 6 glued up boards.
All edges were prepared on the TS using the jig and a 40 tooth Forrest WWII.
The joints for the most part are undetectable unless the grain was
significantly different or unless you looked at the ends of the panels.

The current Woodsmith magazine, No. 178, has a picture of a jig that
uses the exact same technique and method that I use but their jog is a bit
more refined. I highly recommend checking out this issue if you are
interested in making straight glue line joints whether you have a jointer or
not.

Sorry, but my take on reactionary wood is -- don't use it. I have a
solid oak diningroom table that was fine for many years, but one
particularly dry summer, it split along the glue joint. If you joint
a piece of reactionary wood and use it in an application that has
significantly different humidity, it is going to warp or curl unless
you are using it in a application that uses short pieces.

Ed
Old July 22nd 08, 01:43 PM posted to rec.woodworking

news
wrote:

Sorry, but my take on reactionary wood is -- don't use it. I have a
solid oak diningroom table that was fine for many years, but one
particularly dry summer, it split along the glue joint. If you joint
a piece of reactionary wood and use it in an application that has
significantly different humidity, it is going to warp or curl unless
you are using it in a application that uses short pieces.

Ed

I'm a little confused here Ed. What does reactionary wood have to do with
straightening S2S on a TS instead of on a jointer?

Old July 22nd 08, 02:23 PM posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

news
wrote:

Sorry, but my take on reactionary wood is -- don't use it. I have a
solid oak diningroom table that was fine for many years, but one
particularly dry summer, it split along the glue joint. If you joint
a piece of reactionary wood and use it in an application that has
significantly different humidity, it is going to warp or curl unless
you are using it in a application that uses short pieces.

Ed

I'm a little confused here Ed. What does reactionary wood have to do
with straightening S2S on a TS instead of on a jointer?

And what is 'reactionary' wood anyway? Sort of right wing ultra conservative
wood? I wouldn't touch the stuff either.

Tim W

Old July 22nd 08, 02:51 PM posted to rec.woodworking

"Tim W" wrote in message
news
And what is 'reactionary' wood anyway? Sort of right wing ultra
conservative wood? I wouldn't touch the stuff either.

Reactionary wood is wood that was improperly dried and or wood that may have
been under stress while the tree was growing. Typically wood taken from
limbs that grow closer to horizontal will have more internal stress. This
becomes a problem when sawing/ripping. As you rip the board it will tend to
want to close back up and pinch the blade or it can bow open, either way you
end up with a board that is no longer straight.

Old July 22nd 08, 05:03 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 07:43:03 -0500, "Leon"
wrote:

news
wrote:

Sorry, but my take on reactionary wood is -- don't use it. I have a
solid oak diningroom table that was fine for many years, but one
particularly dry summer, it split along the glue joint. If you joint
a piece of reactionary wood and use it in an application that has
significantly different humidity, it is going to warp or curl unless
you are using it in a application that uses short pieces.

Ed

I'm a little confused here Ed. What does reactionary wood have to do with
straightening S2S on a TS instead of on a jointer?

Leon, I was working from the comment that the OP wanted to
"straighten" the wood. I have no issues with using the TS to joint a
rough or uneven edge on a plank, indeed, that is my preference. If
the wood is curved, however, I will usually pass on it or try to
salvage a shorter piece.

Ed
Old July 22nd 08, 07:16 PM posted to rec.woodworking

"Ed Bailen" wrote in message
On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 07:43:03 -0500, "Leon"

Leon, I was working from the comment that the OP wanted to
"straighten" the wood. I have no issues with using the TS to joint a
rough or uneven edge on a plank, indeed, that is my preference. If
the wood is curved, however, I will usually pass on it or try to
salvage a shorter piece.

Well Ed, I am the OP and I would sure like to find out where you get S2S
lumber that is straight, does not come in random widths, and is not narrower
on one end.

Perhaps you are buying S3S or S2S ripped straight on 1 edge.

Old July 22nd 08, 07:20 PM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

For years I have been using a jig to straighten my boards on my table
saw, it does a much better and faster job than my jointer. The Walnut Desk
that I recently built and posted pictures of had 2, 15" x 60" panels made up
of 3 boards each. The desk top 31" x 60" was made from 6 glued up boards.
All edges were prepared on the TS using the jig and a 40 tooth Forrest WWII.
The joints for the most part are undetectable unless the grain was
significantly different or unless you looked at the ends of the panels.

The current Woodsmith magazine, No. 178, has a picture of a jig that
uses the exact same technique and method that I use but their jog is a bit
more refined. I highly recommend checking out this issue if you are
interested in making straight glue line joints whether you have a jointer or
not.

Good advice. I have a very good jointer, but oft times the wood
supplied by my cranky old local sawmill owner represents a significant
challange at least to get to a starting point for jointing.

Think I'll look into it.

Frank
Old July 22nd 08, 07:42 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Frank Boettcher wrote:

Good advice. I have a very good jointer, but oft times the wood
supplied by my cranky old local sawmill owner represents a significant
challange at least to get to a starting point for jointing.

Think I'll look into it.

Mine isn't refined at all - but it was easy to build and has worked for
me. Photos at the link below.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Old July 22nd 08, 08:37 PM posted to rec.woodworking

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message
Frank Boettcher wrote:

Good advice. I have a very good jointer, but oft times the wood
supplied by my cranky old local sawmill owner represents a significant
challange at least to get to a starting point for jointing.

Think I'll look into it.

Mine isn't refined at all - but it was easy to build and has worked for
me. Photos at the link below.

Mine is very much like yours Morris, I have the 2 toggle clamps mounted on 2
small wood blocks. I screw the 2 wood blocks down where ever needed. I do
however use a 8' long sled that is about 11" wide.