Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Stein Jack Stein is offline

Default Straightening S2S boards on the Table Saw

Lew Hodgett wrote:

Adding "Swing's" technique of end for end cuts from board to board
produces complimentary cut faces that cancel any blade angle error,
thus insuring a tight cut face fit.

I've always numbered each edge to be jointed 1 to whatever and when
jointing even #'s are face against the fence (in), odd #'s are face away
from the fence (out). This way your joint is guaranteed to be a perfect
90 degrees, even if the fence isn't a perfect 90. In fact, you get a
bigger gluing surface if the fence is not a perfect 90. With a table
saw you would do the same thing, alternating face up and face down,
eliminating any worry about your blade being a perfect 90 to the table.

Also, like Leon, I've found little need to joint an edge to prepare for
glue up. I discovered once when making something unimportant and was
using a 12 tooth blade, and glued it up rough as hell and it was close
to perfect. I still use the jointer because it is there and handy, but
would have zero problems jointing right from the table saw with a 40 tooth.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com