Posted to rec.woodworking
Ed Bailen Ed Bailen is offline

Default Straightening S2S boards on the Table Saw

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 07:43:03 -0500, "Leon"
wrote:

"Ed Bailen" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 16:10:32 -0500, "Leon"
wrote:

Sorry, but my take on reactionary wood is -- don't use it. I have a
solid oak diningroom table that was fine for many years, but one
particularly dry summer, it split along the glue joint. If you joint
a piece of reactionary wood and use it in an application that has
significantly different humidity, it is going to warp or curl unless
you are using it in a application that uses short pieces.

Ed

I'm a little confused here Ed. What does reactionary wood have to do with
straightening S2S on a TS instead of on a jointer?

Leon, I was working from the comment that the OP wanted to
"straighten" the wood. I have no issues with using the TS to joint a
rough or uneven edge on a plank, indeed, that is my preference. If
the wood is curved, however, I will usually pass on it or try to
salvage a shorter piece.

Ed