Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Boettcher Frank Boettcher is offline

Default Straightening S2S boards on the Table Saw

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 16:10:32 -0500, "Leon"
wrote:

For years I have been using a jig to straighten my boards on my table
saw, it does a much better and faster job than my jointer. The Walnut Desk
that I recently built and posted pictures of had 2, 15" x 60" panels made up
of 3 boards each. The desk top 31" x 60" was made from 6 glued up boards.
All edges were prepared on the TS using the jig and a 40 tooth Forrest WWII.
The joints for the most part are undetectable unless the grain was
significantly different or unless you looked at the ends of the panels.

The current Woodsmith magazine, No. 178, has a picture of a jig that
uses the exact same technique and method that I use but their jog is a bit
more refined. I highly recommend checking out this issue if you are
interested in making straight glue line joints whether you have a jointer or
not.

Good advice. I have a very good jointer, but oft times the wood
supplied by my cranky old local sawmill owner represents a significant
challange at least to get to a starting point for jointing.

Think I'll look into it.

Frank