Mortise and Tenon Machine?

Old December 24th 05, 04:08 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Mortise and Tenon Machine?

Robatoy wrote:

Maybe they are try to recoup their R&D in the first 100 pieces?

I think we've become so used to cheap mass-produced stuff from China
that when we're presented with a limited run item made in the USA we
get sticker shock. (Assuming it IS made in the USA by workers earning
a fine wage and health benefits and paid coffee breaks and all waste
products disposed of properly and all safety equipment known to man
bolted and strapped on and everyone paying a healthy share of taxes
all the way around. whew)
Old December 24th 05, 04:39 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy (in )

http://www.leighjigs.com/fmt.php
||| This looks like a comprehensive device, but MAN that's a lot of
||| money for a passive device, isn't it?....
||| Am I missing something?
|| Nope. It was more expensive when if first came out. I suspect it
|| will continue to drop.
|
| Maybe they are try to recoup their R&D in the first 100 pieces?

I suspect they just felt secure in their niche. It was when I added up
the prices on this general type of equipment that I decided to apply
the crowbar for my ShopBot. BTW, I noticed on the SB forum
(www.talkshopbot.com) that back in October someone had advertized
their 48x96 machine for $4K, more than what the OP is looking to
spend, but still but a _lot_ more "bang for the buck".

Beside for mortise and tenon work that none of the machines mentioned
could come near, it allows doing stuff like what I posted earlier
today on ABPW under "MDF Scrap" - and makes me wish I hadn't wasted
money on router jigs, fixtures, and accessories.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Old December 24th 05, 06:26 AM posted to rec.woodworking

The Morris Dovey entity posted thusly:

Beside for mortise and tenon work that none of the machines mentioned
could come near, it allows doing stuff like what I posted earlier
today on ABPW under "MDF Scrap" - and makes me wish I hadn't wasted
money on router jigs, fixtures, and accessories.

But you can sure by a lot of jigs, fixtures and accessories (not to
mention routers and tables), for what you'd have to spend on a
ShopBot.

Old December 24th 05, 02:49 PM posted to rec.woodworking

"Joe Barta" wrote in message
.. .
Robatoy wrote:

Maybe they are try to recoup their R&D in the first 100 pieces?

I think we've become so used to cheap mass-produced stuff from China
that when we're presented with a limited run item made in the USA we
get sticker shock.

I think we have become used to seeing what many items are really worth in a
world market. I think the bubble has burst for the labor unions.

(Assuming it IS made in the USA by workers earning
a fine wage and health benefits and paid coffee breaks and all waste
products disposed of properly and all safety equipment known to man
bolted and strapped on and everyone paying a healthy share of taxes
all the way around. whew)

IIRC made in Canada.

Old December 24th 05, 04:11 PM posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
"Morris Dovey" wrote:

It was when I added up
the prices on this general type of equipment that I decided to apply
the crowbar for my ShopBot.

OH!.. It's YOU again! *S*... the voice of reason!

You make too much sense. Maybe it is because of that little nudge here,
and little nudge there that I get from you on a regular basis, but a Bot
is in the 2006 budget... at least the expansion of shop space is.
I just may have to rough it without the Colombo spindle for a while..
without the ArtCAM Pro software...without the big vacuum system...I have
build-up systems before, in fact, I think that's what I like best about
business..the growth.

Thanks for all the input, and I wish you the very best Christmas and
prosperous 2006.

Rob

PS.. it's that piece of solid surface material on the fore-ground of
this picture that tells me all I need to know (from an accounting
standpoint....*s*)
http://www.shopbottools.com/images/shopbot5_1100.jpg
Old December 24th 05, 05:40 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Oleg Lego (in ) said:

| The Morris Dovey entity posted thusly:
|
|| Beside for mortise and tenon work that none of the machines
|| mentioned could come near, it allows doing stuff like what I
|| posted earlier today on ABPW under "MDF Scrap" - and makes me wish
|| I hadn't wasted money on router jigs, fixtures, and accessories.
|
| But you can sure by a lot of jigs, fixtures and accessories (not to
| mention routers and tables), for what you'd have to spend on a
| ShopBot.

Starting out, I was afraid to consider used equipment and wasn't aware
that there were some really good buys to be had. Had I known how to
look for used equipment, I'd have paid far less (perhaps a fifth or a
fourth as much) for a good used machine.

If I'd known what I've learned _since_ buying my machine, I'd almost
certainly have paid to have a table and gantries welded up and then
built the rest myself. Three-axis controller cards and stepper motors
are available off-the-shelf.

I've been thinking seriously about CNC conversions for mini-mill (HF)
and mini-lathe (Griz) for making small metal parts for the woodshop.
Either can be built using all new components for under $2K. I have a
programming background and was able to write the driver software for a
$200 controller card in about an hour. It's /not/ rocket surgery!

There was a recent thread with a Dutch OP who built a CNC router and
I'll guess that machine put him out of pocket less than $1K, and could
be modified (only slightly) to become a wonderfully flexible CNC
joinery machine capable of out-performing any/all of the off-the-shelf
passive joinery machines - and produce joints impossible/impractical
with templates.

Best of all, there's a _lot_ of free help available. The ShopBot and
CNCZone forums (both of which welcome visitors) have been of
considerable help to me.

Now you know more than I did when I started. :-)

Old December 24th 05, 06:13 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Morris Dovey said:

I've been thinking seriously about CNC conversions for mini-mill (HF)
and mini-lathe (Griz) for making small metal parts for the woodshop.
Either can be built using all new components for under $2K. I have a
programming background and was able to write the driver software for a
$200 controller card in about an hour. It's /not/ rocket surgery!

What program(s) do you use to generate the plot files?
Do they produce Gerber output, or something else?

I have considered this very thing, not only for woodworking, but for
drilling numerous tiny, precision holes in printed circuit boards.

Started building a small X/Y/Z drill plotter back in 92, but never
finished it due to various moves around the country. Finished most of
the software, but never completed the hardware. It read Gerber files.
The cost of big stepper motors and such relegated it to the back
burner - I was going to salvage the parts from old equipment, but
never found a good set of adequate matching motors.

There was a recent thread with a Dutch OP who built a CNC router and

I noticed that as well. Looked over some of his pages, and meant to
reply to him, but life got in the way...

FWIW,

Greg G.
Old December 24th 05, 06:25 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy (in )
said:

| In article ,
| "Morris Dovey" wrote:
|
|| It was when I added up
|| the prices on this general type of equipment that I decided to
|| apply the crowbar for my ShopBot.
|
| OH!.. It's YOU again! *S*... the voice of reason!

:-)

| You make too much sense. Maybe it is because of that little nudge
| here, and little nudge there that I get from you on a regular
| basis, but a Bot is in the 2006 budget... at least the expansion of
| shop space is.

Take a little time to look around at used 'Bots and at some of the
recent [ahem] Chinese offerings. If I had it to do over, I think I'd
still go for a ShopBot because of the support available from the
company and other users - but I'd have waited for a really good deal
on a used machine.

| I just may have to rough it without the Colombo spindle for a
| while.. without the ArtCAM Pro software...without the big vacuum
| system...I have build-up systems before, in fact, I think that's
| what I like best about business..the growth.

The 5HP spindle is a delight; but I don't have any of the
razzle-dazzle software - and my big vacuum system is a recycled
refrigerator compressor and a set of pucks. Do plan on having dust
collection in place from the very beginning.

Also take a bit of time to look around for alternate sources for the
Colombo. You may find it available for less than the ShopBot price --
and there /are/ other good spindles available (both new and used).

| Thanks for all the input, and I wish you the very best Christmas and
| prosperous 2006.

I wish you the same; and that 2006 is the year of the 'Bot for you -
and that you make it pay for itself before the year ends. Feel welcome
to call if I can be of help.

| PS.. it's that piece of solid surface material on the fore-ground of
| this picture that tells me all I need to know (from an accounting
| standpoint....*s*)

http://www.shopbottools.com/images/shopbot5_1100.jpg

If you're getting really serious about this, join the ShopBot Forum
and read it every day. Major new items this past week have ranged from
a tutorial (from Quebec) about cutting curved moldings to a new blog
(from South Africa) with a /lot/ of photos showing how to set up and
do all kinds of interesting things with the 'Bot.

Old December 24th 05, 07:40 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

(Assuming it IS made in the USA by workers earning
a fine wage and health benefits and paid coffee breaks and all
waste products disposed of properly and all safety equipment
known to man bolted and strapped on and everyone paying a healthy
share of taxes all the way around. whew)

IIRC made in Canada.

Oy vey.... even worse I'd suspect ;-)
Old December 24th 05, 08:15 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Greg G. (in ) said:

| Morris Dovey said:
|
|| I've been thinking seriously about CNC conversions for mini-mill
|| (HF) and mini-lathe (Griz) for making small metal parts for the
|| woodshop. Either can be built using all new components for under
|| $2K. I have a programming background and was able to write the
|| driver software for a $200 controller card in about an hour. It's
|| /not/ rocket surgery!
|
| What program(s) do you use to generate the plot files?
| Do they produce Gerber output, or something else?

With the ShopBot, I have two approaches. The first is fairly
conventional: I make drawings in DesignCAD and export them as DXF
files. If the drawing consists of toolpaths, I can hand the DXF
directly to the SB cutting program. If the drawing consists of edges
(a more usual type of drawing) I use a program called PartWizard
(provided by ShopBot with the machine) that interactively converts
drawing to part program, which is then fed to the cutting program.

The second approach isn't so conventional. With this approach, I write
C programs that output a file of part program commands. This lets me
take advantage of all the capabilities of a general-purpose
programming language to do things not readily done within the limited
capabilities of normal part programs.

I've also hacked my cutting application to allow me to invoke and pass
command line parameters to an external program from within an
executing part program. This allows me to (interactively) generate and
execute part program code "on the fly".

The second approach "unhooks" me from the machine vendor, since I can
as easily emit g-code as the proprietary ShopBot codes.

I think more than 99.99% of executed commands are 'move' commands, so
it doesn't appear any more difficult to call a controller driver with
parameters for a tool move than to write a tool movement command with
those same parameters to a text file...

| I have considered this very thing, not only for woodworking, but for
| drilling numerous tiny, precision holes in printed circuit boards.

And if you add motor speed control and replace drill bit with a router
bit or end mill...

| Started building a small X/Y/Z drill plotter back in 92, but never
| finished it due to various moves around the country. Finished most
| of the software, but never completed the hardware. It read Gerber
| files. The cost of big stepper motors and such relegated it to the
| back burner - I was going to salvage the parts from old equipment,
| but never found a good set of adequate matching motors.

Important things have happened since then - E-Bay, Google,... :-)

|| There was a recent thread with a Dutch OP who built a CNC router
|| and
|
| I noticed that as well. Looked over some of his pages, and meant to
| reply to him, but life got in the way...

Well, I think I'd have done it differently (which just goes to show
that everybody's an art critic) but the important part is that _he_
got the job done simply and inexpensively - and he was willing to
share with the rest of the world. Once the basics are in place, one
can always make refinements. I think he merits at least an "attaboy!"

Build your machine!