Posted to rec.woodworking
Rick M

Default Mortise and Tenon Machine?

"Robatoy" wrote
[snip]
You make too much sense. Maybe it is because of that little nudge here,
and little nudge there that I get from you on a regular basis, but a Bot
is in the 2006 budget... at least the expansion of shop space is.
I just may have to rough it without the Colombo spindle for a while..
without the ArtCAM Pro software...without the big vacuum system...I have
build-up systems before, in fact, I think that's what I like best about
business..the growth.

Rob,

The Colombo spindle is a nice upgrade, but don't let that hold you back.
I've done everything from machining an entire production line system (5
modules) from 1", 1-1/2" and 2-1/2" HDPE, to cutting Polycarbonate doors, to
engraving equipment nameplates (down to 14 point text) with the same
machine.

The learning curve is the hardest part ... we literally learned while
building the production line equipment. Using the provided software with the
Shopbot, and using TurboCad as the design front end, we were able to use 90%
or better from each 4' x 8' sheet of plastic. We made structural panels,
conveyers, robotics parts ... you name it, we did it. Even engraved the
company logo onto the front and rear panels of each module for that extra
nice touch. Countersunk holes for shoulder bolts was no issue ... just
another layer in the drill file (each depth was cut as a separate layer ...
the so-called 2-1/2D method). My boss did most of the toolpath layout and
used the same kerf twice whenever possible ... minimizing waste. We learned
along the way that plastic will warp just like wood if you take too much out
at once and don't give things a bit of time to relax ... and don't trust
that 1" extruded plastic to be closer than say +/- .030".

Lots more to encourage you with ... especially Shopbot support ... had one
channel go dead in the middle of cutting some conveyer sprockets, a quick
call to them and they told me how to use the spare channel until I repaired
the main drive channel. Great guys.

Our purchase was made much easier by the fact that the factory is an hour
and a half away ... we went for an on-site visit, and I then drove back and
hauled the entire shopbot back in my minivan. Assembly took two days (mostly
by myself), and to this day, I'd do it all over again.

Regards,

Rick