Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey

Default Mortise and Tenon Machine?

Robatoy (in )
said:

| In article ,
| "Morris Dovey" wrote:
|
|| It was when I added up
|| the prices on this general type of equipment that I decided to
|| apply the crowbar for my ShopBot.
|
| OH!.. It's YOU again! *S*... the voice of reason!

:-)

| You make too much sense. Maybe it is because of that little nudge
| here, and little nudge there that I get from you on a regular
| basis, but a Bot is in the 2006 budget... at least the expansion of
| shop space is.

Take a little time to look around at used 'Bots and at some of the
recent [ahem] Chinese offerings. If I had it to do over, I think I'd
still go for a ShopBot because of the support available from the
company and other users - but I'd have waited for a really good deal
on a used machine.

| I just may have to rough it without the Colombo spindle for a
| while.. without the ArtCAM Pro software...without the big vacuum
| system...I have build-up systems before, in fact, I think that's
| what I like best about business..the growth.

The 5HP spindle is a delight; but I don't have any of the
razzle-dazzle software - and my big vacuum system is a recycled
refrigerator compressor and a set of pucks. Do plan on having dust
collection in place from the very beginning.

Also take a bit of time to look around for alternate sources for the
Colombo. You may find it available for less than the ShopBot price --
and there /are/ other good spindles available (both new and used).

| Thanks for all the input, and I wish you the very best Christmas and
| prosperous 2006.

I wish you the same; and that 2006 is the year of the 'Bot for you -
and that you make it pay for itself before the year ends. Feel welcome
to call if I can be of help.

| PS.. it's that piece of solid surface material on the fore-ground of
| this picture that tells me all I need to know (from an accounting
| standpoint....*s*)

http://www.shopbottools.com/images/shopbot5_1100.jpg

If you're getting really serious about this, join the ShopBot Forum
and read it every day. Major new items this past week have ranged from
a tutorial (from Quebec) about cutting curved moldings to a new blog
(from South Africa) with a /lot/ of photos showing how to set up and
do all kinds of interesting things with the 'Bot.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar