Whining gearbox - any remedies?

Old February 12th 05, 12:27 AM
top gear

Mark wrote:

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 21:27:33 +0000 (UTC), "Rick Hughes"
wrote:

"Mark" wrote in message
. ..

Hi

I have a 10 year old Ford Escort with 92,000 miles on the clock. It's
served me well but I need to get another 12 months/15,000 miles out of
it before I replace it. Over the last 10,000 miles the gearbox has
started to whine, nothing major but the frequency is particularly
annoying, especially at motorway speeds. Is there any additive that
would make an improvement or have I got to live with it? A friend
suggested "molyslip", anyone tried this?
Thanks

Try a heavier oil in the box

OK, so how do I get the old oil out? There's no drain plug on this
model???

siphon?

Buy a new g/box sump gasket and remove sump to change oil. Use heavier gear
oil.

From new, the gear oil should be dropped after 2K miles and replaced with
Mobil 1 fully synthetic gear oil. Replace every 2nd service, that is approx
every 2 years in most cars. After approx 25k miles add Slick 50 gearbox
treatment at each g/box oil change. The transmission will remain like new
for nearly all the life of the car.

From new use Mobil 1, or similar, fully synthetic engine oil, and change as
per makers recommendations. The oil can go longer, so it gives you leeway on
service intervals. No one has a service 9K miles on the dot. No need to use
the likes of Slick 50 in the engine if fully synthetic oil is used from new.

Using the above your engine and transmission will remain smooth, and new
sounding and feeling, for all its life. The only noises will be from the
water pump, alternator, power steering pump and a/c compressor and any worn
belts

Slick 50 do an excellent power steering pump fluid. This is proper fluid not
an additive. This is also well worth using after about 50K miles.

Old February 12th 05, 12:27 AM
Mark

The Natural Philosopher typed:

wrote:

"Mark" wrote in message

Hi

I have a 10 year old Ford Escort with 92,000 miles on the clock.
It's served me well but I need to get another 12 months/15,000
miles out of it before I replace it. Over the last 10,000 miles
the gearbox has started to whine, nothing major but the frequency
is particularly annoying, especially at motorway speeds. Is there
any additive that would make an improvement or have I got to live
with it? A friend suggested "molyslip", anyone tried this?
Thanks

Try a heavier oil in the box

OK, so how do I get the old oil out? There's no drain plug on this
model???

siphon?

Tropical fish shops, do a siphon thing for cleaning out tanks.
It's a Fiat designed gearbox, what do you expect ;-(

--
ano Mark

Old February 12th 05, 09:39 AM
Dave Plowman (News)

top gear wrote:
From new, the gear oil should be dropped after 2K miles and replaced
with Mobil 1 fully synthetic gear oil. Replace every 2nd service, that
is approx every 2 years in most cars. After approx 25k miles add Slick
50 gearbox treatment at each g/box oil change. The transmission will
remain like new for nearly all the life of the car.

If this is the case, do Slick supply a warranty?

--
*It is wrong to ever split an infinitive *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old February 12th 05, 10:54 AM
Grunff

top gear wrote:

From new, the gear oil should be dropped after 2K miles and replaced with
Mobil 1 fully synthetic gear oil. Replace every 2nd service, that is approx
every 2 years in most cars. After approx 25k miles add Slick 50 gearbox
treatment at each g/box oil change. The transmission will remain like new
for nearly all the life of the car.

This is, of course, a *huge* pile of crap.

--
Grunff
Old February 12th 05, 11:04 AM
Dave Plowman (News)

Grunff wrote:
From new, the gear oil should be dropped after 2K miles and replaced
with Mobil 1 fully synthetic gear oil. Replace every 2nd service, that
is approx every 2 years in most cars. After approx 25k miles add Slick
50 gearbox treatment at each g/box oil change. The transmission will
remain like new for nearly all the life of the car.

This is, of course, a *huge* pile of crap.

Yup. Mobile are the makers of a well regarded premium oil, and adding crap
like Slick 50 or whatever is likely to damage its performance rather than
improve it. If an additive such as this was needed, the maker would
already incorporate it.

And the life of a manual box depends to some extent on how it's driven -
slamming it through the gears will result in worn synchro clutches sooner
rather than later.

--
*Starfishes have no brains *

Old February 12th 05, 11:20 AM
:::Jerry::::

"top gear" wrote in message

Mark wrote:

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 21:27:33 +0000 (UTC), "Rick Hughes"
wrote:

"Mark" wrote in message
. ..

Hi

I have a 10 year old Ford Escort with 92,000 miles on the clock. It's
served me well but I need to get another 12 months/15,000 miles out

of
it before I replace it. Over the last 10,000 miles the gearbox has
started to whine, nothing major but the frequency is particularly
annoying, especially at motorway speeds. Is there any additive that
would make an improvement or have I got to live with it? A friend
suggested "molyslip", anyone tried this?
Thanks

Try a heavier oil in the box

OK, so how do I get the old oil out? There's no drain plug on this
model???

siphon?

Buy a new g/box sump gasket and remove sump to change oil. Use heavier

gear
oil.

From new, the gear oil should be dropped after 2K miles and replaced with
Mobil 1 fully synthetic gear oil. Replace every 2nd service, that is

approx
every 2 years in most cars. After approx 25k miles add Slick 50 gearbox
treatment at each g/box oil change. The transmission will remain like new
for nearly all the life of the car.

Snake oil, snake oil.
Next you'll be claiming that 'Cat-O-clean' works.....

From new use Mobil 1, or similar, fully synthetic engine oil, and change

as
per makers recommendations. The oil can go longer, so it gives you leeway

on
service intervals. No one has a service 9K miles on the dot. No need to

use
the likes of Slick 50 in the engine if fully synthetic oil is used from

new.

There is no need to use any additives or oil's other than what the engine
maker specifies, rather than pay extra for 'additives' just change the oil
and filter at half makers recommendations (both in terms of mileage and
age).

Using the above your engine and transmission will remain smooth, and new
sounding and feeling, for all its life. The only noises will be from the
water pump, alternator, power steering pump and a/c compressor and any

worn
belts

Of course it will, it would do so if you put water in the sump, the life of
the engine might be limited but it would still "remain smooth, and new
sounding and feeling, for all its life" !..

It's nothing but classic marketing blurb for snake oil.

Slick 50 do an excellent power steering pump fluid. This is proper fluid

not
an additive. This is also well worth using after about 50K miles.

If it has nothing added why use it instead of what the factory used ?!

Your post sound like an IMM's 'cut and paste' marketing blurb rants....

Old February 12th 05, 12:52 PM
Dave Plowman (News)

:::Jerry:::: wrote:
There is no need to use any additives or oil's other than what the
engine maker specifies, rather than pay extra for 'additives' just
change the oil and filter at half makers recommendations (both in terms
of mileage and age).

I'd like to see some proof that this has any advantages at all. While it
may not cost much, IMHO it's just a waste of money and resources.
For it to be of any real benefit - and I dispute this - it would have to
be from when the vehicle is new, and how many keep a new car until it's
worn out?

--
*When blondes have more fun, do they know it?

Old February 12th 05, 01:10 PM
top gear

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
top gear wrote:
From new, the gear oil should be dropped after 2K miles and replaced
with Mobil 1 fully synthetic gear oil. Replace every 2nd service, that
is approx every 2 years in most cars. After approx 25k miles add Slick
50 gearbox treatment at each g/box oil change. The transmission will
remain like new for nearly all the life of the car.

If this is the case, do Slick supply a warranty?

I ran a car from new up to 110,000 miles and did what I suggested to the
group. A automotive design engineer suggested the Mobil 1 in the g/box and
Slick 50. He said the Slick 50 g/box treatment is worth it as in puts a
slippery film around the metal parts. It mixes fine with the Mobil 1 oil
with no adverse affects. Do a Google and you will find that people who put
this stuff into g/boxes with wet clutches have had clutch slip. The engine
stuff he was not keen on at all.

I sold the car to a relative and suggested carrying on from where I left
off. He has and is now up to around 160,000 miles. The car still sounds
newish, except some belts squeak at bit. His driving is predominantly stop
start around town, short runs.

Old February 12th 05, 01:34 PM
Dave Plowman (News)

top gear wrote:
If this is the case, do Slick supply a warranty?

I ran a car from new up to 110,000 miles and did what I suggested to the
group.

So one swallow makes a summer?

A automotive design engineer suggested the Mobil 1 in the g/box and
Slick 50. He said the Slick 50 g/box treatment is worth it as in puts a
slippery film around the metal parts.

'An automotive design engineer'. You're not IMM, are you? All lubricants
put a slippery film round parts - it's their purpose in life.

It mixes fine with the Mobil 1 oil
with no adverse affects.

Have you asked Mobile about this? If Slick 50 is so wonderful, why not use
it alone in the 'box?

Do a Google and you will find that people who put this stuff into
g/boxes with wet clutches have had clutch slip.

Do a Google and you'll find people who think it cures world malnutrition.

The engine stuff he was not keen on at all.

Perhaps he designed engines and not gearboxes?

I sold the car to a relative and suggested carrying on from where I left
off. He has and is now up to around 160,000 miles. The car still sounds
newish, except some belts squeak at bit. His driving is predominantly
stop start around town, short runs.

I'd suggest he learns about servicing. Belts squeak because they're
slipping. And need replacing or adjusting.

--
*Some days you're the dog, some days the hydrant.

Old February 12th 05, 01:51 PM
The Natural Philosopher

top gear wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message

top gear wrote:

From new, the gear oil should be dropped after 2K miles and replaced
[...]

A few tears ago I had a boss who had a passat that had done 200,000km -
I supoose about 160k miles?

Ordinary oil, changed by the book, and it was fine.