The Natural Philosopher

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Capitol wrote:

What I'm saying is that engines last longer and longer despite even
longer oil change intervals. Ie, the makers know what they're talking
about. Both oils and engine manufacturing techniques - and or
materials - are improving all the time, so there really is no need to
change oil more frequently than the maker's recommendation.

So use the maker's recommended oil and service intervals, and don't
thrash the engine until the oil is hot, and the engine will outlive
the rest of the car, in most cases.

Unfortunately, this is not the experience of the fleet users. They are
whingeing regularly about having to fit new engines at 40K miles when
extended oil changes are used.

********. Pretty well every 'fleet' car would still be under warranty -
so it would be the car makers who would be bleating.

Its not unusual to find a fleet car that has 60k on the clock and has
never had its oil cap even removed. Nor any servicing wahstosver done on
it at all.

The *******s simply run em trade em like that.

If you are lucky, someone tipped in a couple of pints at 50k miles when
the warning light came on.

There is a tendency for the fleet driver to never look under the
bonnet, so the fact that the oil has disappeared through the tailpipe
doesn't register, with unfortunate consequences.

I don't 'look under the bonnet' either - although I'm not a fleet driver -
my car warns of low oil level. But never has. It will happily run from one
(extended) oil change to the next without needing any oil added. Come to
that, my '84 150,000 mile Rover SD1 does too. But it has one oil change
per year, due to low use.

God help you if you buy one of these in the second hand
market! The main reason for extended oil change intervals is to reduce
the servicing costs as a marketing bull point.

With vastly more expensive oils, etc?

Where are the longer lasting tyres? Batteries? Cambelts? Brake pads? Etc?

49,000 miels on my landroiver tyres and still on originals.
No cambelt to speak off - chain.
Brake pads. I think its had a set.
Still on original battery.