The Natural Philosopher

top gear wrote:

"Rod Hewitt" wrote in message
.. .

It keeps oil compressed in a container, so that when the crank moves oil

is

injected into the galleries. Overnight the oil runs down into the sump
leaving the galleries and engine upper end dry. That is one reason why

most

engine wear is in the start/warm up stages.

That's because ******* like you

This group breeds them!

The rest of us know not to gun an engine at the startup.

And take the first 10 miles easy till the oil is up to temp.

LOT cheaper than snake oil and add on goodies.

Another one who can't get a simple point. The point is when all the oil has
drained into the sump and out of the galleries and bearings and the crank is
turned to start the engine. This is when there is maximum wear as the
bearings are dry except for a residual film of oil. This device ensures oil
is at the bearings before the crank moves any significant distance. Using
thinner, stronger synthetics, ensures easy movement of oil around the engine
maintaining the oil pressure where it matters.

Ships engines prime the oil before the crank is moved. The oil is up to
pressure and the engine up to temperature before start up.

Wear occurs when metal surfaces touch each other. Synthetics ensure they are
kept apart, far more than what mineral oils can, that is why the wear factor
is far less with synthetic oils.

I feel as if I am saying the same things over and over in each post, so as
far as I am concerned this thread is over.

Thats because you don';t realise that
(a) everybody already knows the above and

(b) has assesses that in fact, unless you are a tosser, it makes very
little difference to engine life.

(c) we are talking about gerqaboxes, which very very seldom have oil
pumps attached.