Doctor Evil Doctor Evil is offline
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitol
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
What I'm saying is that engines last longer and longer despite even longer
oil change intervals. Ie, the makers know what they're talking about.
Both oils and engine manufacturing techniques - and or materials - are
improving all the time, so there really is no need to change oil more
frequently than the maker's recommendation.

So use the maker's recommended oil and service intervals, and don't thrash
the engine until the oil is hot, and the engine will outlive the rest of
the car, in most cases.

Unfortunately, this is not the experience of the fleet users. They are
whingeing regularly about having to fit new engines at 40K miles when
extended oil changes are used.
My nephew ran a largish fleet of Cavaliers about 14 years ago. The drivers regularly trashed the camshafts. They would start up on -3 in the morning and rev like mad and tear out of the car park. Many were so dumb, they would rev staright to 4,000 revs thinking it would warm the engine up faster. All it did was ruin the engine in the process. I suggested he try some Mobil 1 at the first service. In those days, I thing there was a 1,500 mile service, or walk around checkup. He said he would have a go and get them to change the oil at an early stage, as it would cost him nothing. The service agent would bend over backwards to keep the luctrative service business. Not one camshaft failed after he started using Mobil 1 in the cars. He thought it was wonderful as a car down for a day or two or three meant needless stress all around.