Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Source of small metal sheet about 1.2 mm thick

Having a potential strategy to make up a small plate to fix the broken
caravan locker mechanism, I now need to source some metal.

The existing components are nice steel and roughly 1.2 mm thick, so that
seems a good starting point.

As usual, Google is not necessarily my friend.

My first thought was shim steel, but a quick search doesn't seem to go
above 0.8 mm. Not sure about galvanised mild steel such as

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07B3R6B2H/
ref=s9_acsd_top_hd_bw_bBCAKhL_c_x_w

I assume that aluminium would be lighter and easier to work with enough
strength for this job.

I seem to remember chucking out all my spare bits of waste metal which
might have come in useful as part of the ongoing tidy and downsize. Ah,
well.

Possible candidates at 1-1.2 mm

Shim steel (possibly two bits each 0.6 mm thick)

Mild steel (galvanised?)

Some kind of sheet plastic

Doesn't have to be massively structural, it is mainly to spread the load
and provide a backing to bond the broken bits of plastic onto.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Apr 2018 10:48:34 +0000, David wrote:

[...]

Answering my own post as usual, but I just noticed

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1MM-1-5MM...ASTIC-PERSPEX-
ACRYLIC-CUT-SHEET-A4-SIZE-/180865707128

A 50 mm x 50 mm sample of 1 mm perspex might just be big enough, and at
£1.50 post free could be worth a punt.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/04/2018 11:48, David wrote:
[...]

I'd think about doing it in brass: easy to work, nice to look at,
corrosion resistant, stronger than aluminium. 1.2 mm is 47 thou, this
source has 32 or 64 (plenty more sources)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/K-S-Brass...a_kxuaoaBjRNIg
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , David
writes
I assume that aluminium would be lighter and easier to work with enough
strength for this job.

When we built the boat almost all the stainless steel, aluminium and
copper sheet came from scrapyards. We just climbed onto the piles of
metal and selected suitable sizes and quality.
Of course, I was a bit younger then, and maybe they were less in thrall
to safety.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/04/2018 11:48, David wrote:
Having a potential strategy to make up a small plate to fix the broken
caravan locker mechanism, I now need to source some metal.

For thin metal any food or drinks can with smooth sides?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/04/2018 12:50, alan_m wrote:
On 16/04/2018 11:48, David wrote:
Having a potential strategy to make up a small plate to fix the broken
caravan locker mechanism, I now need to source some metal.

For thin metal any food or drinks can with smooth sides?

I have cut up joist hanger in the past to make a metal fixing plate
https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p94912

70p from Toolstation

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/04/2018 13:04, alan_m wrote:
On 16/04/2018 12:50, alan_m wrote:
On 16/04/2018 11:48, David wrote:
Having a potential strategy to make up a small plate to fix the broken
caravan locker mechanism, I now need to source some metal.

For thin metal any food or drinks can with smooth sides?

I have cut up joist hanger in the past to make a metal fixing plate
https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p94912

70p from Toolstation

That's a good call, I must remember that as I have a few kicking around
in the box of "brackets which might be useful one day"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill wrote:
In message , David
writes
I assume that aluminium would be lighter and easier to work with
enough strength for this job.

When we built the boat almost all the stainless steel, aluminium and
copper sheet came from scrapyards. We just climbed onto the piles of
metal and selected suitable sizes and quality.
Of course, I was a bit younger then, and maybe they were less in thrall
to safety.

I was going to suggest scrapyards, some will allow rummaging if you
wear boots and hi viz vest and will then sell at so much a kilo (or pound)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
David wrote:
Having a potential strategy to make up a small plate to fix the broken
caravan locker mechanism, I now need to source some metal.

The existing components are nice steel and roughly 1.2 mm thick, so that
seems a good starting point.

1.2mm is a standard size for some older car body parts (and maybe current
too). Perhaps someone who repairs classic cars?

But look for a metal fabricator and ask them for offcuts.

B&Q also used to sell small steel sheets - but at a price more similar to
gold.

--
*Velcro - what a rip off!*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Apr 2018 10:48:34 +0000, David wrote:

Having a potential strategy to make up a small plate to fix the broken
caravan locker mechanism, I now need to source some metal.

The existing components are nice steel and roughly 1.2 mm thick, so that
seems a good starting point.

snip

Doesn't have to be massively structural, it is mainly to spread the load
and provide a backing to bond the broken bits of plastic onto.

Oh, gawd. I need a new box of memory pills!

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Special:ListFiles

This lists all the recent files uploaded.

I have just remembered (!) that the guide plate is eccentric; I am
assuming that this is so the position of the locking rod (which goes
behind the edge of the locker entrance) can be adjusted up and down and in
and out.

This means that the plate(s) - I think I may need one each side - need to
be free to rotate as well so can't be bonded to the repair.

At least I didn't realise this after fixing it!

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/04/2018 14:14, David wrote:

This means that the plate(s) - I think I may need one each side - need to
be free to rotate as well so can't be bonded to the repair.

At least I didn't realise this after fixing it!

Which suggests that you keep the existing plates, patch behind the
cracked/holed plastic using a metal plate (or equivalent) for
strengthening. The large round hole can be achieved by drilling a series
of small holes, cutting between them to remove the middle and then using
a file for finishing. The two existing plates will now be further apart
so use some longer screws/bolts.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David wrote:
A 50 mm x 50 mm sample of 1 mm perspex might just be big enough, and at
£1.50 post free could be worth a punt.

1mm perspex is very weak - I wouldn't want to use it for anything
structural. You'd probably want to look at 3-4mm minimum, but note that it
fractures easily. I wouldn't use it for your application - metal is better.

http://www.mackay.co.uk/metals-warehouse.html
is our local metals place - they will cut and mail order, but you might also
use the catalogue to find what sort of thing you want.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Apr 2018 10:48:34 GMT, David wrote:

Having a potential strategy to make up a small plate to fix the broken
caravan locker mechanism, I now need to source some metal.

The existing components are nice steel and roughly 1.2 mm thick, so that
seems a good starting point.

Some kind of sheet plastic

[snipped]

How about epoxy glass sheet:

https://www.hobbyplastic.co.uk/index...lnnpkho7jjfv96

- Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/04/2018 11:48, David wrote:
Having a potential strategy to make up a small plate to fix the broken
caravan locker mechanism, I now need to source some metal.

The existing components are nice steel and roughly 1.2 mm thick, so that
seems a good starting point.

As usual, Google is not necessarily my friend.

My first thought was shim steel, but a quick search doesn't seem to go
above 0.8 mm. Not sure about galvanised mild steel such as

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07B3R6B2H/
ref=s9_acsd_top_hd_bw_bBCAKhL_c_x_w

I assume that aluminium would be lighter and easier to work with enough
strength for this job.

I seem to remember chucking out all my spare bits of waste metal which
might have come in useful as part of the ongoing tidy and downsize. Ah,
well.

Possible candidates at 1-1.2 mm

Go round and check all the older road signs. Some of them are 2mm
aluminium. Squirt the bolts with 3 in 1 while nobody's looking and go
back in the night. Or, if you only need a small piece, have you got a
battery jigsaw?

Burglar Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/04/18 11:48, David wrote:
[...]

Brass?

https://www.clickmetal.co.uk/click-b...et/brass-sheet

Plastic? - check out 'pickguard material' used in guitar scratchplates

so many to choose from..

also Al and SS from these guys

Some kind of sheet plastic

Doesn't have to be massively structural, it is mainly to spread the load
and provide a backing to bond the broken bits of plastic onto.

Cheers

Dave R

--
The New Left are the people they warned you about.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Apr 2018 15:08:09 +0100, Theo wrote:

David wrote:
A 50 mm x 50 mm sample of 1 mm perspex might just be big enough, and at
£1.50 post free could be worth a punt.

1mm perspex is very weak - I wouldn't want to use it for anything
structural. You'd probably want to look at 3-4mm minimum, but note that
it fractures easily. I wouldn't use it for your application - metal is
better.

http://www.mackay.co.uk/metals-warehouse.html is our local metals place
- they will cut and mail order, but you might also use the catalogue to
find what sort of thing you want.

Theo

Thanks.

Ordered a couple of bits of perspex to play with.
It can't be much weaker than the plastic moulding. :-(

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Apr 2018 15:38:23 +0100, Mike wrote:

On 16 Apr 2018 10:48:34 GMT, David wrote:

Having a potential strategy to make up a small plate to fix the broken
caravan locker mechanism, I now need to source some metal.

The existing components are nice steel and roughly 1.2 mm thick, so that
seems a good starting point.

Some kind of sheet plastic

[snipped]

How about epoxy glass sheet:

https://www.hobbyplastic.co.uk/index.php?

main_page=product_info&cPath=52_54&products_id=353 &zenid=sdjsv7e6gcr5lnnpkho7jjfv96

- Mike

Interesting - thanks!

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Apr 2018 17:24:26 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 16/04/18 11:48, David wrote:
[...]

Thanks - that is a useful resource.

Now, brass aluminium or stainless?

Aluminium is a bit more bendable, I think brass is a bit more fragile than
aluminium or steel.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/04/2018 18:25, David wrote:

Ordered a couple of bits of perspex to play with.
It can't be much weaker than the plastic moulding. :-(

Thin perspex is. It's brittle and will tend to crack if you try and bend
it with a tight radius.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
David wrote:
Ordered a couple of bits of perspex to play with.
It can't be much weaker than the plastic moulding. :-(

It will be. Plastic mouldings of the sort you've described are flexible to
an extent.

Perspex is a very old design of plastic and pretty brittle. It does have
its uses, though.

--
*I know a guy who's addicted to brake fluid. He says he can stop any time.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Apr 2018 18:40:15 +0100, alan_m wrote:

On 16/04/2018 18:25, David wrote:

Ordered a couple of bits of perspex to play with.
It can't be much weaker than the plastic moulding. :-(

Thin perspex is. It's brittle and will tend to crack if you try and bend
it with a tight radius.

Hopefully (!) no bending should be involved.

Cheers

Dave R

P.S. just remembered I have some SS in the recycle pile for the tip.

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
David wrote:
Thin perspex is. It's brittle and will tend to crack if you try and
bend it with a tight radius.

Hopefully (!) no bending should be involved.

If something had already broken, bending of some sort is usually involved.
;-)

--
*How does Moses make his tea? Hebrews it.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Apr 2018 10:48:34 GMT, David wrote:

Having a potential strategy to make up a small plate to fix the broken
caravan locker mechanism, I now need to source some metal.

Local metal fabricators will probably sell you a piece from their
scrap bin cheaply. Steel and aluminium the most commonly available.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Apr 2018 10:48:34 GMT
David wrote:

Having a potential strategy to make up a small plate to fix the
broken caravan locker mechanism, I now need to source some metal.

The existing components are nice steel and roughly 1.2 mm thick, so
that seems a good starting point.

As usual, Google is not necessarily my friend.

If you don't have a local sheet metal stockist check eBay - I've had
some small (A3 ?) sheets of aluminium at very reasonable rates
(considering what the shipping cost must be).
Otherwise car spares outlets usually have sheet steel in a variety of
thicknesses at not-overly-exorbitant rates.