Posted to uk.d-i-y
David David is offline

Default Source of small metal sheet about 1.2 mm thick

On Mon, 16 Apr 2018 17:24:26 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 16/04/18 11:48, David wrote:
Having a potential strategy to make up a small plate to fix the broken
caravan locker mechanism, I now need to source some metal.

The existing components are nice steel and roughly 1.2 mm thick, so
that seems a good starting point.

As usual, Google is not necessarily my friend.

My first thought was shim steel, but a quick search doesn't seem to go
above 0.8 mm. Not sure about galvanised mild steel such as

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07B3R6B2H/
ref=s9_acsd_top_hd_bw_bBCAKhL_c_x_w

I assume that aluminium would be lighter and easier to work with enough
strength for this job.

I seem to remember chucking out all my spare bits of waste metal which
might have come in useful as part of the ongoing tidy and downsize. Ah,
well.

Possible candidates at 1-1.2 mm

Shim steel (possibly two bits each 0.6 mm thick)

Mild steel (galvanised?)

Brass?

https://www.clickmetal.co.uk/click-b...et/brass-sheet

Plastic? - check out 'pickguard material' used in guitar scratchplates

so many to choose from..

also Al and SS from these guys

snip

Thanks - that is a useful resource.

Now, brass aluminium or stainless?

Aluminium is a bit more bendable, I think brass is a bit more fragile than
aluminium or steel.

Cheers

Dave R

---