Posted to uk.d-i-y
alan_m alan_m is offline

Default Source of small metal sheet about 1.2 mm thick

On 16/04/2018 14:14, David wrote:

This means that the plate(s) - I think I may need one each side - need to
be free to rotate as well so can't be bonded to the repair.

At least I didn't realise this after fixing it!

Which suggests that you keep the existing plates, patch behind the
cracked/holed plastic using a metal plate (or equivalent) for
strengthening. The large round hole can be achieved by drilling a series
of small holes, cutting between them to remove the middle and then using
a file for finishing. The two existing plates will now be further apart
so use some longer screws/bolts.