Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Very thick leather? (1/4 in thick)

I have a couple of leather belts made from some very thick
leather. They are about 1/4" thick. (from a screw machine shop)

What animals do they come from? I do not think that cows have skin
that thick.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus705" wrote in message
I have a couple of leather belts made from some very thick
leather. They are about 1/4" thick. (from a screw machine shop)

What animals do they come from? I do not think that cows have skin
that thick.

Probably cow belly hide. It's a lot thicker than the skin on most of the
animal.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus705 wrote:
I have a couple of leather belts made from some very thick
leather. They are about 1/4" thick. (from a screw machine shop)

What animals do they come from? I do not think that cows have skin
that thick.

My experience with making leatherbelts to go with the buckles Ive made
is that this thickness leather comes from the larger bovine species
larger Charolais cows, bullocks etc.
If you have read the book about the leather boats called the Brendan
voyage, this leather was up to 1/2in thick..
Also it comes from the back not the belly.
Most leather you see is split, ie its cut to make 2 skins of 1 animal.
Ive used the thicker unsplit forbelts, also 1/4in thick. My buckles
and belt Will take a mans weight.
This thickness of leather is used as traction engine drive belting
Lovely stuff.
Ted Dorset UK
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-10-24, Randal O'Brian wrote:

"Ignoramus705" wrote in message
I have a couple of leather belts made from some very thick
leather. They are about 1/4" thick. (from a screw machine shop)

What animals do they come from? I do not think that cows have skin
that thick.

How old are they? Bison leather was preferred for drive belts in the late
1800's.

Not that old, maybe from 1980s or some such.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:
"Ignoramus705" wrote in message
I have a couple of leather belts made from some very thick
leather. They are about 1/4" thick. (from a screw machine shop)

What animals do they come from? I do not think that cows have skin
that thick.

Probably cow belly hide. It's a lot thicker than the skin on most of the
animal.

--
Ed Huntress

That's why the sometimes specify-"top grain Cowhide"-'cause they can get
2 usable layers from some of the hide.(top grain has the hair follicle
pattern)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jerry Wass" wrote in message
. net...
Ed Huntress wrote:
"Ignoramus705" wrote in message
I have a couple of leather belts made from some very thick
leather. They are about 1/4" thick. (from a screw machine shop)

What animals do they come from? I do not think that cows have skin
that thick.

Probably cow belly hide. It's a lot thicker than the skin on most of the
animal.

--
Ed Huntress

That's why the sometimes specify-"top grain Cowhide"-'cause they can get 2
usable layers from some of the hide.(top grain has the hair follicle
pattern)

All I remember is that thick stuff has often been called "belly hide" in my
experience, but after someone else commented about the back being thicker I
looked it up. Apparently the back is thicker. So whatever I was remembering
probably has nothing to do with belts or cow hides either, for that matter.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
. ..

"Ignoramus705" wrote in message
I have a couple of leather belts made from some very thick
leather. They are about 1/4" thick. (from a screw machine shop)

What animals do they come from? I do not think that cows have skin
that thick.

It might be from Naugas

Naw, they've shut down the Nauga ranches all over the country. The last one
was in Connecticut and was owned by Don Imus.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
. ..

"Ignoramus705" wrote in message
I have a couple of leather belts made from some very thick
leather. They are about 1/4" thick. (from a screw machine shop)

What animals do they come from? I do not think that cows have skin
that thick.

It might be from Naugas

Naw, they've shut down the Nauga ranches all over the country. The last
one was in Connecticut and was owned by Don Imus.

--
Ed Huntress

"I did it to help the cansher kids.....Dierdre wrote a book with all her
Nauga meat recipes..."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 21:36:03 -0700, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

"Ignoramus705" wrote in message
I have a couple of leather belts made from some very thick
leather. They are about 1/4" thick. (from a screw machine shop)

What animals do they come from? I do not think that cows have skin
that thick.

It might be from Naugas

Generally it is a "bonded" or laminated (glued) leather when that
thick. Not too much Elephant or Rhino or Hippo hide in commercial use.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 23:55:55 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
Ignoramus705 quickly quoth:

I have a couple of leather belts made from some very thick
leather. They are about 1/4" thick. (from a screw machine shop)

What animals do they come from? I do not think that cows have skin
that thick.

Buffalo hide is really thick like that.

--
Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling.
-- Margaret Lee Runbeck

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 21:36:03 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, "Tom
Gardner" quickly quoth:

"Ignoramus705" wrote in message
I have a couple of leather belts made from some very thick
leather. They are about 1/4" thick. (from a screw machine shop)

What animals do they come from? I do not think that cows have skin
that thick.

It might be from Naugas

Only Old Growth Naugas had thick hides, Tawm.

Need Thick Wood GrayFox Woodworking 23 August 27th 07 12:44 AM
How thick should driveway be? [email protected] Home Repair 20 January 1st 07 03:37 AM
Resawing - how thick? Geo Woodworking 9 June 10th 05 05:52 PM
Source for Thick Ipe John Moorhead Woodworking 6 December 29th 04 07:08 AM
Thick paint Kris UK diy 4 November 23rd 03 10:46 PM