DeepDiver

Default Source for 3" thick HDPE sheet or bar?

Ok, so HDPE is not exactly metal. But it's for a metalworking project...

I need some 3" thick HDPE, specifically: 16.5"L x 6"W x 3"T (2 pieces). Does
anyone know of a source for this? So far, the most I've been able to find is
2-1/4" thick.

Thanks,
Michael

Koz

DeepDiver wrote:

Ok, so HDPE is not exactly metal. But it's for a metalworking project...

I need some 3" thick HDPE, specifically: 16.5"L x 6"W x 3"T (2 pieces). Does
anyone know of a source for this? So far, the most I've been able to find is
2-1/4" thick.

Thanks,
Michael

Does it have to be HDPE or would UHMW work? I'd get thicker than 3 thick and machine it down if tolerance is an issue. It usually comes +/- about 1/16" (sometimes more) at those thicknesses.

If UHMW is ok, let me know and I can cost it for you. It might also be
available on e-bay as scrap from someone at better prices.

Koz

DeepDiver

"Koz" wrote in message
DeepDiver wrote:

I need some 3" thick HDPE, specifically: 16.5"L x 6"W x 3"T (2 pieces).
Does
anyone know of a source for this? So far, the most I've been able to find
is
2-1/4" thick.

Does it have to be HDPE or would UHMW work?

UHMW would work fine (as would aluminum). I'm using this to make elevating
platform blocks for a milling machine, so it simply needs to be rigid,
durable, and impervious to the typical fluids (nothing exotic) used in
machining operations. A dark color plastic would probably be preferrable to
a light color as it will show less grime over the years, but that's purely
esthetics and is not a critical issue.

The reason I secified HDPE is because I figured that would be the least
expensive material that would satisfy my requirements.

Of course, I'm open to other ideas/suggestions.

I'd get thicker than 3 thick and machine it down if tolerance is an issue.
It usually comes +/- about 1/16" (sometimes more) at those thicknesses.

Tolerance is not an issue; +/- 1/16" would be fine, as long as both pieces
are closely "equal" in height.

If UHMW is ok, let me know and I can cost it for you.

Thanks. I have no idea what the current market prices are for UHMW, but I'm
trying to keep this under $36. Otherwise, it would probably be cheaper to go
with 6" x 3" rectangular steel tubing.

It might also be available on e-bay as scrap from someone at better
prices.

I've looked before, but I'll have another go at it.

Thanks,
Michael

Gunner

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 20:41:04 GMT, "DeepDiver"
wrote:

Ok, so HDPE is not exactly metal. But it's for a metalworking project...

I need some 3" thick HDPE, specifically: 16.5"L x 6"W x 3"T (2 pieces). Does
anyone know of a source for this? So far, the most I've been able to find is
2-1/4" thick.

Thanks,
Michael

I think I have a chunk you could cut two of these from. Ill measure
tommorow after I get home. I scrounged a decent sized slab of it some
time back. Email me so Ill be reminded and Ill have your correct
email addy to send the info.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
DeepDiver

wrote:

Ok, so HDPE is not exactly metal. But it's for a metalworking project...

I need some 3" thick HDPE, specifically: 16.5"L x 6"W x 3"T (2 pieces).
Does
anyone know of a source for this? So far, the most I've been able to find
is
2-1/4" thick.

Thanks,
Michael

I think I have a chunk you could cut two of these from. Ill measure
tommorow after I get home. I scrounged a decent sized slab of it some
time back. Email me so Ill be reminded and Ill have your correct
email addy to send the info.

Thank you Gunner! I sent you a private email last night. If, for some
reason, you don't receive it, let me know here.

Regards,
Michael

Source for 1" white acrylic sheet Hul Tytus Metalworking 6 August 23rd 06 12:42 PM
Happiness: cheapie jigsaw, metal-cutting blade, 2mm ali sheet, neat30cm circle! Stefek Zaba UK diy 6 May 1st 05 10:50 PM
Try this Gunner Cliff Metalworking 417 April 26th 05 08:30 PM
Sheet metal tool advice sought Spencer Metalworking 4 December 30th 03 03:05 AM
Pearl Harbor Walt LeRoy Metalworking 77 December 15th 03 06:36 AM