Spencer

Default Sheet metal tool advice sought

I prototype antennas (of my design) in my metalworking shop. Having
sheet metal capability is becoming important, and I don't have any. I
talked to a friend about the 30" three-in-one sheet metal machines,
such as the Grizzly, and he recommended against it. He thought I
would be happier with a box brake and a shear.

A couple of years ago I was at the Boeing Restoration Hangar near
Seattle (anyone from there reading this??). I walked past a nice pair
of tools that were probably 24" wide. I don't remember the name on
them, but they were nice quality, and small enough to fit in my
limited space. I think a full size brake and shear is too much for
me, and I can drive 15 min to borrow same should the need arise.

A notcher may be a good idea, too.

Most of my work will be with aluminum, sometimes brass.

What are your thoughts? Are the 3-in-1 sheet metal machines worth
looking at? Is one brand better than the other? What is a good
source for the smaller size brakes and shears?

Thanks for your wisdom.

-Spencer
Bruce Simpson

On 27 Dec 2003 17:36:26 -0800, (Spencer) wrote:

[...]

The only 3-in-1 (roller/break/guilotine) I've used was from Harbour
Freight and the slip roll part of it was rubbish.

The rollers were too skinny -- so when you rolled sheet it was more
tightly curved at the ends than in the middle :-(

What's more, the sheer pin in the roller handle kept breaking every
two minutes even when I replaced it with some drill-rod.

--
you can contact me via
http://aardvark.co.nz/contact/
Robert Stewart

Spencer,
I don't know if you have purchased any equipment yet,but
thought I would recommend a brand I used in the aerospace industry.

The brand type was Bandit. They sell a number of different brake sizes
and are not really cheap, however I never needed to put any money into
the one I bought in the eight years I used it.

The size of my brake was 24" wide. It had mic type back gage, and 20
ton capacity.

Hope this helps?

Robert Stewart