Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bev Bev is offline

Default One for Bill? TV Coax splitter

Currently the loft has a 1 in /2 out splitter with coax connections for
freeview TVs.

I now have inherited two additional TVs which I would like to connect up
to the aerial. I would like to replace the current 1 to 2 with a 1 to 4
but all the ones I can find seem to use f-connectors which would mean the
hassle of changing all the connectors and I can't be bothered to do that
as I have plenty of coax connectors but no f-connectors.

So the question is are there any 1 to 4 (or more) splitters that use only
coax for both in and out. A supplementary is what coax cable would you
recommend for the additional wiring - it will all run inside as its going
into bedrooms.

Any links to recommendaed products would be appreciated (and if they are
Amazon Prime even better as I'm currently on a free trial).

Thanks Bill (or anyone else who helps).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bev wrote:

all the ones I can find seem to use f-connectors which would mean the
hassle of changing all the connectors

It's not much hassle, strip outer and inner of cable to suitable
lengths, fold back braid, screw on plug
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/04/2020 16:29, Bev wrote:
Currently the loft has a 1 in /2 out splitter with coax connections for
freeview TVs.

I now have inherited two additional TVs which I would like to connect up
to the aerial. I would like to replace the current 1 to 2 with a 1 to 4
but all the ones I can find seem to use f-connectors which would mean the
hassle of changing all the connectors and I can't be bothered to do that
as I have plenty of coax connectors but no f-connectors.

As will be the case for pretty well any of the decent ones I would expect.

So the question is are there any 1 to 4 (or more) splitters that use only
coax for both in and out.

I think you are making life harder for yourself. IME its easier and
faster to fit F connectors, than it is to do a couple of Belling Lee
style coax connectors, plus F connectors are dirt cheap. You would then
have easy access to a good range of splitters as well.

A supplementary is what coax cable would you
recommend for the additional wiring - it will all run inside as its going
into bedrooms.

A modern coax with both braid and foil screen, rather than the older
style "low loss" coax. It gives better noise rejection.

Any links to recommendaed products would be appreciated (and if they are
Amazon Prime even better as I'm currently on a free trial).

I would normally go to CPC for this kind of stuff, however:

Splitter:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0131QFQ9Y

F Connectors:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B083WHRDRL

Cable (25 / 50m):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0131QFQ9Y

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MQW0JEN

One final thing to keep in mind, if you have a marginal signal level at
the moment, it might push it over the edge splitting 4 ways instead of
just two.

(although if your current splitter is a crappy resistive type, you might
be no worse off with the better quality splitter and more ways!)

If this does turn out to be the case, adding a pre-amp before the
splitter (or buying an "active" splitter with it built in) would usually
overcome the splitting losses.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/04/2020 16:29, Bev wrote:
[...]

Twist on F plugs available cheaply from many Ebay sellers are easy to fit
http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/fplugs.htm

I've only seen 2 way splitters with TV Coax plugs all the rest seem to
be F plug splitters in screened cans. A 4 way splitter will add around
another 3dB of attenuation on all outputs so if you already have a weak
signal from your aerial this could push your reception over the edge.
Perhaps consider changing the splitter for a 4 way amp such as
https://www.toolstation.com/procepti...e-power/p89212
Not necessarily from that supplier (and may/will require an additional
power supply)

Cable Webro WF100

Bills cable page
http://www.wrightsaerials.co.uk/arti...-quality.shtml

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/04/2020 16:29, Bev wrote:
[...]

Labgear loft distribution amp?

I dont think anyone actually makes anything with belling lees on it
anymore. Just fit F type plugs

--
Theres a mighty big difference between good, sound reasons and reasons
that sound good.

Burton Hillis (William Vaughn, American columnist)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns laid this down on his screen :
It's not much hassle, strip outer and inner of cable to suitable lengths,
fold back braid, screw on plug

F-plugs are stupid cheap, but they only work with suitable coax cables.

The modern equivalent of CT-100 is what is needed. Much better quality
than the old brown TV coax.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher expressed precisely :
I dont think anyone actually makes anything with belling lees on it anymore.
Just fit F type plugs

I have always been rather puzzled as to why TV's continue to be fitted
with Belling-Lee sockets.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/04/2020 16:29, Bev wrote:
[...]

Fit f plugs. If they are loose on the existing cables put a turn of tape
over the outer sheath and under the folded-back braid.
Try a four way 'f' splitter. If this degrades the reception put a 12dB
amp in front of the splitter. Or use a one-in four out amp, if you want
to spend a bit more.
New cable should be CT100 type.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Or indeed the white stuff where you can play hunt the screen on many types,
ok for small runs but rubbish for much else and certainly no good for areas
where you want to keep interfering signals out.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
Harry Bloomfield; "Esq." wrote in
message ...
Andy Burns laid this down on his screen :
It's not much hassle, strip outer and inner of cable to suitable lengths,
fold back braid, screw on plug

F-plugs are stupid cheap, but they only work with suitable coax cables.

The modern equivalent of CT-100 is what is needed. Much better quality
than the old brown TV coax.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
I dont think anyone actually makes anything with belling lees on it
anymore. Just fit F type plugs

TLC sell both.

--
*Why is it that most nudists are people you don't want to see naked?*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
The Natural Philosopher expressed precisely :
I dont think anyone actually makes anything with belling lees on it anymore.
Just fit F type plugs

I have always been rather puzzled as to why TV's continue to be fitted
with Belling-Lee sockets.

Something which doesn't latch or lock in position? Same as all other TV
connectors?

--
*When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 27 Apr 2020 11:36:19 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
The Natural Philosopher expressed precisely :
I dont think anyone actually makes anything with belling lees on it anymore.
Just fit F type plugs

I have always been rather puzzled as to why TV's continue to be fitted
with Belling-Lee sockets.

Something which doesn't latch or lock in position? Same as all other TV
connectors?

There might be one on a Smart TV. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
T i m wrote:
On Mon, 27 Apr 2020 11:36:19 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
The Natural Philosopher expressed precisely :
I dont think anyone actually makes anything with belling lees on it
anymore. Just fit F type plugs

I have always been rather puzzled as to why TV's continue to be
fitted with Belling-Lee sockets.

Something which doesn't latch or lock in position? Same as all other TV
connectors?

There might be one on a Smart TV. ;-)

And an F connector on one with a satellite tuner. Perhaps the Belling Lee
differentiates between them?

But how many might be rather annoyed to buy a replacement TV from a
supermarket etc, only to discover their aerial no longer plugs in?

--
*TEAMWORK...means never having to take all the blame yourself *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 27 Apr 2020 13:52:15 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

snip

I have always been rather puzzled as to why TV's continue to be
fitted with Belling-Lee sockets.

Something which doesn't latch or lock in position? Same as all other TV
connectors?

There might be one on a Smart TV. ;-)

And an F connector on one with a satellite tuner.

Yup.

Perhaps the Belling Lee
differentiates between them?

Possibly.

But how many might be rather annoyed to buy a replacement TV from a
supermarket etc, only to discover their aerial no longer plugs in?

It's often like that now with amplifiers but I'm not sure how many
'ordinary people' would be playing with such (and the pros would have
the right connectors in any case)?

Funnily enough I was faced with just this scenario a while back,
helping a family friend. Traced a lost TV signal back to a loft
mounted amp and (of course) the best quality / VFM replacement we
could get easily had F Type connectors.

Why doesn't everyone fitting these things put them where you can work
on them easily? ;-(

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

But how many might be rather annoyed to buy a replacement TV from a
supermarket etc, only to discover their aerial no longer plugs in?

Or the SCART socket is missing ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
T i m wrote:
But how many might be rather annoyed to buy a replacement TV from a
supermarket etc, only to discover their aerial no longer plugs in?

It's often like that now with amplifiers but I'm not sure how many
'ordinary people' would be playing with such (and the pros would have
the right connectors in any case)?

Not sure how many would always pay to have a TV delivered and installed?

--
*When a clock is hungry it goes back four seconds*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan_m wrote:

But how many might be rather annoyed to buy a replacement TV from a
supermarket etc, only to discover their aerial no longer plugs in?

Or the SCART socket is missing ?

Very true. More to the point why no phono sound outputs? Given most have a
headphone socket which I've never used? ;-)

--
*Caution: I drive like you do.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
T i m wrote:
On Mon, 27 Apr 2020 13:52:15 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

snip

[...]

Because the 'in-house' planning consultant has made a decision,

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bev Bev is offline

On Sun, 26 Apr 2020 10:29:54 -0500, Bev wrote:

Thanks Bill (or anyone else who helps).

Thak you John and Bill. Orders now placed
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/04/2020 15:34, T i m wrote:

Funnily enough I was faced with just this scenario a while back,
helping a family friend. Traced a lost TV signal back to a loft
mounted amp and (of course) the best quality / VFM replacement we
could get easily had F Type connectors.

Why doesn't everyone fitting these things put them where you can work
on them easily? ;-(

Probably a combination of wanting to amplify the lowest noise signal,
and that normally favours being close to the aerial, and not wanting to
have to double back loads of drop wires (and so add masses of extra
cable length to the system).

So "above" where you would logically want to start splitting the feeds
off makes sense.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan_m wrote:

But how many might be rather annoyed to buy a replacement TV from a
supermarket etc, only to discover their aerial no longer plugs in?

Or the SCART socket is missing ?

Very true. More to the point why no phono sound outputs? Given most have a
headphone socket which I've never used? ;-)

You are out of touch - no headphone sockets now as you connect
headphones via bluetooth

Posted to uk.d-i-y

But how many might be rather annoyed to buy a replacement TV from a
supermarket etc, only to discover their aerial no longer plugs in?

When has customer annoyance ever mattered?

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/04/2020 18:54, Bev wrote:
On Sun, 26 Apr 2020 10:29:54 -0500, Bev wrote:

Thanks Bill (or anyone else who helps).

Thak you John and Bill. Orders now placed

We cut through the noise!

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 27 Apr 2020 19:01:51 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

On 27/04/2020 15:34, T i m wrote:

Funnily enough I was faced with just this scenario a while back,
helping a family friend. Traced a lost TV signal back to a loft
mounted amp and (of course) the best quality / VFM replacement we
could get easily had F Type connectors.

Why doesn't everyone fitting these things put them where you can work
on them easily? ;-(

Probably a combination of wanting to amplify the lowest noise signal,
and that normally favours being close to the aerial, and not wanting to
have to double back loads of drop wires (and so add masses of extra
cable length to the system).

So "above" where you would logically want to start splitting the feeds
off makes sense.

Sure, but what I am talking about here is bringing the aerial cable
(some distance) in from a stack at the end of a roof (big old house,
so already 20m or so) to a point where it's on the wrong side of
structure, meaning you can't-quite-get-it by standing on ladders in
the loft hatch. You had to climb in (only 1m or so) and sit cramped up
in the small loft space, just to get to the amplifier? ;-(

There were nearly as many cables going South as there were going North
so it wasn't (in this particular case) a matter of biasing the unit to
keep most the cable-runs as short as possible.

The point was, given how long most of the runs were, the extra 1m
wouldn't have made any difference to the signal but would have made it
far easier to work on.

Now it could have been that initially there was no distribution amp
and it was fitted later, in the best point possible *then*, but I
think I would have extended part of it (the outlet) at the time and
then worked from there.

My amp is in our bedroom cupboard because the aerial is in the loft.
Nice an easy to get at. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 27/04/2020 15:34, T i m wrote:

[...]

Yeah well, logic don't work every time :-)

My amp is in our bedroom cupboard because the aerial is in the loft.
Nice an easy to get at. ;-)

I have an amp on the aerial mast, then a 10m run of coax to the upstairs
airing cupboard where it was a nice easy place to put the amp PSU and a
multiway splitter (and a good central place to run all the feeds from).

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/04/2020 22:14, alan_m wrote:
In article ,
Â*Â*Â* alan_m wrote:

But how many might be rather annoyed to buy a replacement TV from a
supermarket etc, only to discover their aerial no longer plugs in?

Or the SCART socket is missing ?

Very true. More to the point why no phono sound outputs? Given most
have a
headphone socket which I've never used? ;-)

You are out of touch - no headphone sockets now as you connect
headphones via bluetooth

And get to enjoy a visible delay between what you see and what you hear
as a side benefit!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
Rumm writes
*** alan_m wrote:

But how many might be rather annoyed to buy a replacement TV from a
supermarket etc, only to discover their aerial no longer plugs in?

Or the SCART socket is missing ?

Very true. More to the point why no phono sound outputs? Given most
have a
headphone socket which I've never used? ;-)

You are out of touch - no headphone sockets now as you connect
headphones via bluetooth

And get to enjoy a visible delay between what you see and what you hear
as a side benefit!

Not noticed here. Gifted Bose headphones and linked to the LG TV. as
instructed he-) What does bother slightly is the stereo effects
appear badly balanced.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I sometimes wear Bluetooth headphones paired to a LG TV for noisy films so as not to annoy SWAMBO watching TV in the other room. What I have noticed is you are more aware of the background noises such as people talking in the background or traffic noise. I do not know if this is a feature of a 5.1 audio system as I have never had or heard one but takes some getting used to not to mention annoying at times.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote:

But how many might be rather annoyed to buy a replacement TV from a
supermarket etc, only to discover their aerial no longer plugs in?

Or the SCART socket is missing ?

Very true. More to the point why no phono sound outputs? Given most
have a
headphone socket which I've never used? ;-)

You are out of touch - no headphone sockets now as you connect
headphones via bluetooth

And get to enjoy a visible delay between what you see and what you hear
as a side benefit!

Such things simply don't matter to most. Digital rules. ;-)

--
*What hair colour do they put on the driver's license of a bald man? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , John
Rumm writes
alan_m wrote:

But how many might be rather annoyed to buy a replacement TV from a
supermarket etc, only to discover their aerial no longer plugs in?

Or the SCART socket is missing ?

Very true. More to the point why no phono sound outputs? Given most
have a
headphone socket which I've never used? ;-)

You are out of touch - no headphone sockets now as you connect
headphones via bluetooth

And get to enjoy a visible delay between what you see and what you hear
as a side benefit!

Not noticed here. Gifted Bose headphones and linked to the LG TV. as
instructed he-) What does bother slightly is the stereo effects
appear badly balanced.

That's OK, then. You pay a premium for something that doesn't work as
well. ;-)

--
*Middle age is when it takes longer to rest than to get tired.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 28 Apr 2020 02:11:27 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

snip

My amp is in our bedroom cupboard because the aerial is in the loft.
Nice an easy to get at. ;-)

I have an amp on the aerial mast, then a 10m run of coax to the upstairs
airing cupboard where it was a nice easy place to put the amp PSU and a
multiway splitter (and a good central place to run all the feeds from).

Zakly.

This was my whole point about a bit of planning and how some people
just seem to just 'do' (and worry about any knock-on consequences of
the potential lack of deeper consideration later, or leave it for
someone else ...) and how others try to consider all eventualities and
work with them in mind, the 'what if' stuff.

I think it all comes from the work ethic that starts 'think thrice,
measure twice ...' and whilst it traditionally ends 'cut once', it
could also be 'tile once', fir distribution amp once but also easy
access for servicing', 'fit CH pump once but where you can get to it
without having to take the cylinder out' etc etc.

Daughter is (also) a thinker and suffers (anxiety) because of it and
sometimes we both wish we weren't. We wish we could approach tasks
like many do, 'a bull in a china shop', 'fools rush in' ... but we
can't.

'You are selling that, can't you just paint over the rust ..?', no, we
can't, we would rather leave the rust than waste time and effort
bodging it up and at least the buyer can see it 'warts and all'.

Leaving something like that means that it doesn't get our signature on
it, it is what it is etc.

'Whatever you do do, do do well'. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , John
Rumm writes
alan_m wrote:

But how many might be rather annoyed to buy a replacement TV from a
supermarket etc, only to discover their aerial no longer plugs in?

Or the SCART socket is missing ?

Very true. More to the point why no phono sound outputs? Given most
have a
headphone socket which I've never used? ;-)

You are out of touch - no headphone sockets now as you connect
headphones via bluetooth

And get to enjoy a visible delay between what you see and what you hear
as a side benefit!

Not noticed here. Gifted Bose headphones and linked to the LG TV. as
instructed he-) What does bother slightly is the stereo effects
appear badly balanced.

That's OK, then. You pay a premium for something that doesn't work as
well. ;-)

Umm. As said elsewhere, the basic need is for me to enjoy TV without
bothering the boss!

TV stereo sound is new to me and with age related hearing
frequency/volume issues slightly disturbing. Are you saying that
earphones will never give a balanced reproduction or that I need better
equipment?

I suppose the old Westerns etc. that I watch would not have been
produced with stereo anyway. A bit disconcerting to have the left ear
full of some *stage left* police siren but nothing apparent to the right
ear.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/04/2020 12:26, Tim Lamb wrote:
TV stereo sound is new to me and with age related hearing
frequency/volume issues slightly disturbing. Are you saying that
earphones will never give a balanced reproduction or that I need better
equipment?

I suppose the old Westerns etc. that I watch would not have been
produced with stereo anyway. A bit disconcerting to have the left ear
full of some *stage left* police siren but nothing apparent to the right
ear.

Stereo sound from a TV, or a TV with close speakers will be such that
for example right channel only sound will appear to come from the right
hand (or slightly beyond) screen edge.

In a pair of headphones it will appear to be directly from your right
with no front component at all.

Headphones need a little knob to introduce crosstalk ...

--
€œIdeas are inherently conservative. They yield not to the attack of
other ideas but to the massive onslaught of circumstance"

- John K Galbraith

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/04/2020 11:39, T i m wrote:
On Tue, 28 Apr 2020 02:11:27 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

snip

My amp is in our bedroom cupboard because the aerial is in the loft.
Nice an easy to get at. ;-)

I have an amp on the aerial mast, then a 10m run of coax to the upstairs
airing cupboard where it was a nice easy place to put the amp PSU and a
multiway splitter (and a good central place to run all the feeds from).

Zakly.

This was my whole point about a bit of planning and how some people
just seem to just 'do' (and worry about any knock-on consequences of
the potential lack of deeper consideration later, or leave it for
someone else ...) and how others try to consider all eventualities and
work with them in mind, the 'what if' stuff.

Yup, I like a good think before a job. However that does not stop one
doing something and then later thinking, "why did I not do X instead?",
it would have been so much easier!

I think it all comes from the work ethic that starts 'think thrice,
measure twice ...' and whilst it traditionally ends 'cut once', it
could also be 'tile once', fir distribution amp once but also easy
access for servicing', 'fit CH pump once but where you can get to it
without having to take the cylinder out' etc etc.

Daughter is (also) a thinker and suffers (anxiety) because of it and
sometimes we both wish we weren't. We wish we could approach tasks
like many do, 'a bull in a china shop', 'fools rush in' ... but we
can't.

The paralysis of analysis.

'You are selling that, can't you just paint over the rust ..?', no, we
can't, we would rather leave the rust than waste time and effort
bodging it up and at least the buyer can see it 'warts and all'.

Leaving something like that means that it doesn't get our signature on
it, it is what it is etc.

'Whatever you do do, do do well'. ;-)

Yup, the irony being that you are probably more likely to put up with a
bodge on something you are keeping.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/04/2020 09:38, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , John
Rumm writes
Â*Â*Â* alan_m wrote:

But how many might be rather annoyed to buy a replacement TV from a
supermarket etc, only to discover their aerial no longer plugs in?

Or the SCART socket is missing ?

Very true. More to the point why no phono sound outputs? Given most
have a
headphone socket which I've never used? ;-)

Â*You are out of touch - no headphone sockets now as you connect
headphones via bluetooth

And get to enjoy a visible delay between what you see and what you
hear as a side benefit!

Not noticed here. Gifted Bose headphones and linked to the LG TV. as
instructed he-) What does bother slightly is the stereo effects
appear badly balanced.

It does vary a bit depending on the kit in question, and even the
blutooth standard being used.

Often TVs have an audio delay adjustment that can be used to compensate.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/04/2020 11:11, Tricky Dicky wrote:
I sometimes wear Bluetooth headphones paired to a LG TV for noisy
films so as not to annoy SWAMBO watching TV in the other room. What I
have noticed is you are more aware of the background noises such as
people talking in the background or traffic noise. I do not know if
this is a feature of a 5.1 audio system as I have never had or heard
one but takes some getting used to not to mention annoying at times.

Its fair to say that there is a whole world of sound present on most
film soundtracks which is pretty much inaudible on a typical set of TV
speakers. Feed it into better quality reproduction equipment and it
becomes noticeable.

That is were a 5.1 system will win over headphones, in that it can keep
the dialogue nicely pinned to the centre speaker(s), with all the
ambient stuff elsewhere in the 3D soundstage.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/04/2020 12:26, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
Â* Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , John
Rumm writes
Â*Â*Â*Â* alan_m wrote:

[...]

Yup, I have the same issue, the lounge is directly under our bedroom,
and if SWMBO has gone to bed, and I am watching a "loud" film, I can
normally expect to get interrupted by a phone call! So headphones help then!

TV stereo sound is new to me and with age related hearing
frequency/volume issues slightly disturbing. Are you saying that
earphones will never give a balanced reproduction or that I need better
equipment?

The stereo mix should be "ok" - it does not benefit from the dedicated
centre speaker you get on a surround sound system (which keeps the
dialogue separate from the other sound), but it should still be pretty
good (better than TV speakers anyway).

If you have poorer hearing in one ear than the other, then you might
need to alter the stereo balance to get things to sound "equal". All
amps/AV amps, and most TVs will let you tweak the balance.

To compensate for "notches" in your hearing is harder, but again you
should be able to do it playing with the equalisation controls when
available. (which is fine for personal headphone use - although might
end up being a bit odd in for others in a shared listening environment)

I suppose the old Westerns etc. that I watch would not have been
produced with stereo anyway. A bit disconcerting to have the left ear
full of some *stage left* police siren but nothing apparent to the right
ear.

Even mono stuff can benefit from the ability to adjust the left / right
balance on headphones. Otherwise if one ear hears better than the other
you can end up with the soundstage appearing to be somewhat off to the
side of your head!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote:

But how many might be rather annoyed to buy a replacement TV from a
supermarket etc, only to discover their aerial no longer plugs in?

Or the SCART socket is missing ?

Very true. More to the point why no phono sound outputs? Given most
have a
headphone socket which I've never used? ;-)

You are out of touch - no headphone sockets now as you connect
headphones via bluetooth

And get to enjoy a visible delay between what you see and what you hear
as a side benefit!

Such things simply don't matter to most. Digital rules. ;-)

I am being slightly harsh, in that in most cases it can be tune out
enough to be less irritating.

I find that with the phones paired directly with the TV I can get
acceptable results. If I pair them with the AV amp though its harder to
eliminate the delay consistently.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
Rumm writes
[...]

I am not aware of a serious hearing imbalance but most birdsong is long
gone and I usually need a bit more volume than that preferred by others.

The earphones are excellent for current affairs/news output. Just the
odd unexpected squawk from a modern film.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Lamb wrote:
Not noticed here. Gifted Bose headphones and linked to the LG TV. as
instructed he-) What does bother slightly is the stereo effects
appear badly balanced.

That's OK, then. You pay a premium for something that doesn't work as
well. ;-)

Umm. As said elsewhere, the basic need is for me to enjoy TV without
bothering the boss!

As you could do with corded headphones. I assume you don't jump around the
room while watching TV? ;-)

--
*I yell because I care