Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb[_2_] Tim Lamb[_2_] is offline

Default One for Bill? TV Coax splitter

In message , John
Rumm writes
On 28/04/2020 12:26, Tim Lamb wrote:
The stereo mix should be "ok" - it does not benefit from the dedicated
centre speaker you get on a surround sound system (which keeps the
dialogue separate from the other sound), but it should still be pretty
good (better than TV speakers anyway).

If you have poorer hearing in one ear than the other, then you might
need to alter the stereo balance to get things to sound "equal". All
amps/AV amps, and most TVs will let you tweak the balance.

To compensate for "notches" in your hearing is harder, but again you
should be able to do it playing with the equalisation controls when
available. (which is fine for personal headphone use - although might
end up being a bit odd in for others in a shared listening environment)

I suppose the old Westerns etc. that I watch would not have been
produced with stereo anyway. A bit disconcerting to have the left ear
full of some *stage left* police siren but nothing apparent to the
right ear.

Even mono stuff can benefit from the ability to adjust the left / right
balance on headphones. Otherwise if one ear hears better than the other
you can end up with the soundstage appearing to be somewhat off to the
side of your head!

I am not aware of a serious hearing imbalance but most birdsong is long
gone and I usually need a bit more volume than that preferred by others.

The earphones are excellent for current affairs/news output. Just the
odd unexpected squawk from a modern film.

--
Tim Lamb