Kenmore Elite Dryer keeps BEEPING...please help.

Old December 14th 04, 03:23 AM
Tom

"Matt" wrote in message
oups.com...
Jeff -

Yep, same model.

Same beeping behavior as described. Not 3 times though - it's constant
with no discernable pattern. Basically, the led display shows "40"; you
can't change any cycles or choose any options (doing so results in
another beep). If you put a load of wet clothes in and press start, the
dryer will run at high heat, beeping the entire time. Sort of goes: bee
da beep bee da beep bee da beep CONSTANTLY until it eventually shuts
off. The clothes are slightly damp at the end of the cycle; re-starting
the same load will result in the dryer running for a minute or 2 and
then shutting off; adding a new wet load will cause it to run until
they are also just slightly damp.

Also, it will sometimes start beeping randomly in the middle of the
night (no clothes in it, not used for a few days) for no apparent
reason.

I'll check tonight on the heat thermistor test - thanks for the tip!

One other thing -

Plugging/unplugging the beast from the outlet some random number of
times (usually, less than 10) will usually make it act normal for a
week or so. If I run the diagnostics listed in the spec sheet during
this time, they all check out.
Thanks much for the tip, will let ya know what I find.

Matt

Is it the beep you hear at the end of a cycle or the beep made by the "lint
filter plugged" indicator. I think these machines still had this installed
when this machine was made. Has since been eliminated because it would be
triggered by just a item of light weight fabric or dryer sheet momentarily
stopping in front of the outlet grill.

Old December 14th 04, 02:53 PM
Matt

Tom -

Good question. The machine does have a "check lint screen" LED; however
I see no reference to any kind of sensor in the schematic on the tech
sheet. Given that this tech sheet also directs you to diagnostic test
#'s that don't exist anywhere else in the tech sheet, and the fact that
_something_ must trigger the LED, I'm assuming there must be a sensor
somewhere. I'm guessing it's somewhere near the lint screen? (Stupid
question perhaps.... but this model has to win some sort of prize for
most expensive/most badly designed appliance in the universe. Oh wait a
minute - my lennox furnace already got that prize (but that's another
story).

Any guidance as to where to look for the lint sensor would be
appreciated.

P.S. for Jeff -

Heat thermistor checked OK.

Also, I'm in side talks with Kumar via email - his dryer is still
malfunctioning. I'm thinking of starting a support group for people who
bought this model.

Old December 15th 04, 12:36 AM
Lance

I had a problem with my dryer - can't tell if it's exactly what is
described here, but the symptom was continual beeping and it *really*
wanted to run in the cotton/high heat mode.

I found through experimenting that I could push (and hold) one of the
other mode buttons below Cotton and press the start button while
holding the mode button and it would successfully complete a cycle in
that mode (while beeping). I used the dryer this way a few times, but
I unplugged the front panel wires so that I wouldn't go crazy with the
beeping.

The solution was to have the front (button) panel replaced. My guess
is that the design is flawed and one of the buttons gets "stuck" after
a while. Odd thing is the diagnostics don't show a button stuck, so
it's probably just a partial contact - but enough to be detected as a
stuck button by the control board. Notice that with a working dryer,
you can push and hold the Cotton button and get exactly the same
symptoms.

Good luck,
Lance

Old December 15th 04, 08:33 PM
Matt

Thanks Lance!

Yep... have found out that Sears has issued a service bulletin on this,
which requires replacement of the touchpad and control board. Full cost
to be paid by the customer, of course. ($450+). I called them this
morning in the hopes maybe they would fix it at no or reduced cost. No
dice.

It's just.... sad.

Thanks for the tip on pressing the cotton button - I didn't know that.
I'm thinking of seeing if the touchpad can be taken apart and
cleaned......

For anyone else struggling with this issue, here is a link to a thread
which provides some more info:
http://applianceblog.com/forums/forum3/56.html

Old January 24th 05, 04:01 AM
Simon Fraser

In article .com,
"Matt" wrote:

Thanks Lance!

Yep... have found out that Sears has issued a service bulletin on this,
which requires replacement of the touchpad and control board. Full cost
to be paid by the customer, of course. ($450+). I called them this
morning in the hopes maybe they would fix it at no or reduced cost. No
dice.

It's just.... sad.

Very, Our 2000-model 110.70052990 (serial# MK 2604280) has just
come down with the beeping stuck-in-cotton mode disease.

Thanks for the tip on pressing the cotton button - I didn't know that.
I'm thinking of seeing if the touchpad can be taken apart and
cleaned......

I tried this. You can peal off of the layer in front of the buttons,
but everything is sealed under layers of sticky plastic. The buttons
etc are stuck right onto the steel frame of the front panel. It's
possible to re-stick the front panel without it getting too bent.

I had a hunch that the Cotton button was stuck down, and sliced
around it with a knife. I was able to lift it up and ensure
that the contact was actually broken, but that didn't fix anything.

One thing that seems odd is that I wasn't able to detect a voltage
across these buttons when the unit is on. The service manual says
that there should be 3V, but I couldn't find an voltage either
at the buttons, or between pins 3-1 and 4-1. I wonder if something
is burnt out on the control board that cuts the power supply to
the front panel? The seal around one of the small ICs (a 6-leg one)
seems a bit bubbled up; perhaps this overheated?

So I'm looking to order both the control board and the front panel
from a place that takes returns, and I'll see which is needed
(or both). Sigh.

Simon

--
Simon Fraser http://www.smfr.org/
(Professional driver on closed road)
Old April 14th 05, 06:01 PM
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Fraser
In article ,
"Matt"
wrote:

[...]

I have just starting to experiance the same prolbems as above. Is replacing pad and control panel the final fix for this?

Trey
Old January 5th 14, 12:56 AM
Junior Member

I know this is an older post but I found it so I think I will post the 'answer' I was given by the tech who came to check my dryer. (Kenmore Elite also) I don't know if the 'answer' works yet because my Husband has to do some cleaning / altering of the vent/hose.

The technician said, 'There is lint that collects around the two metal bars under the lint trap tray. The lint there indicates that your vent/hose is either clogged, is too long or has too many turns. There should be no lint in the space where the dryer screen tray belongs.'

[FYI regarding vents/hoses: He said a dryer is made to push the hot air 16 feet straight and each curve adds 3-6 ft onto the 16 ft. For example; if your 16 foot dryer vent hose has two curves then your dryer hose would be equivalent to 22 feet at best and 28 feet at worst. Neither of those is good because it is more than the 16 ft a dryer is designed to push the hot air.]

So here is how that all has to do with the dyer beeping.

'The metal bars are the dampness indicators for the dryer cycle. The lint collected there absorbs moisture which tells the metal bars that the clothes are still damp. So, the dryer will ADD time to the cycle because it 'thinks' the clothes are not dry.' (It will beep continuously at random numbers - no explanation on that one - just that the dryer will always think the clothes are dry and the dryer knows that something is wrong.)

I personally have started using the timed cycle only.

My Hubby is to clean out the vent/hose and see if he can make it shorter and/or have less turns. Our washing area is in a very poor spot to get it vented without lots of curves. It also doesn't really fit in the space because the space was made for the older / smaller machines. I hope he can Mc Gyver something!

Don't know if it will stop the craziness but I hope it will. I hope this helps you with your crazy beeping Kenmore Elite Dryer.