Thoot12 Thoot12 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Fraser
In article ,
"Matt"
wrote:

Thanks Lance!

Yep... have found out that Sears has issued a service bulletin on this,
which requires replacement of the touchpad and control board. Full cost
to be paid by the customer, of course. ($450+). I called them this
morning in the hopes maybe they would fix it at no or reduced cost. No
dice.

It's just.... sad.

Very, Our 2000-model 110.70052990 (serial# MK 2604280) has just
come down with the beeping stuck-in-cotton mode disease.

Thanks for the tip on pressing the cotton button - I didn't know that.
I'm thinking of seeing if the touchpad can be taken apart and
cleaned......

I tried this. You can peal off of the layer in front of the buttons,
but everything is sealed under layers of sticky plastic. The buttons
etc are stuck right onto the steel frame of the front panel. It's
possible to re-stick the front panel without it getting too bent.

I had a hunch that the Cotton button was stuck down, and sliced
around it with a knife. I was able to lift it up and ensure
that the contact was actually broken, but that didn't fix anything.

One thing that seems odd is that I wasn't able to detect a voltage
across these buttons when the unit is on. The service manual says
that there should be 3V, but I couldn't find an voltage either
at the buttons, or between pins 3-1 and 4-1. I wonder if something
is burnt out on the control board that cuts the power supply to
the front panel? The seal around one of the small ICs (a 6-leg one)
seems a bit bubbled up; perhaps this overheated?

So I'm looking to order both the control board and the front panel
from a place that takes returns, and I'll see which is needed
(or both). Sigh.

Simon

--
Simon Fraser
http://www.smfr.org/

I have just starting to experiance the same prolbems as above. Is replacing pad and control panel the final fix for this?

Trey