Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Question about toilet rough in

I'm hoping someone can give me an answer since the floor installer says one
thing and the plumber that will be picking up the toilet and installing it
says another. The rough in is 11 1/4 by the floor installer measurment, but
the plumber said it is 10 1/2 which he would have to order and would cost
more. My measurements come out 11 1/4 so assuming that 11 1/4 is right will
a 12 in rough in toilet, which most are it seems, fit this? Thanks for any
help, it's driving me crazy trying to figure it all out.

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/10/2015 2:09 PM, Cheri wrote:

I'm hoping someone can give me an answer since the floor installer says
one thing and the plumber that will be picking up the toilet and
installing it says another. The rough in is 11 1/4 by the floor
installer measurment, but the plumber said it is 10 1/2 which he would
have to order and would cost more. My measurements come out 11 1/4 so
assuming that 11 1/4 is right will a 12 in rough in toilet, which most
are it seems, fit this? Thanks for any help, it's driving me crazy
trying to figure it all out.

Are you all measuring to the same point, i.e. the edge of the rough in,
or the center?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"FrozenNorth" wrote in message
On 5/10/2015 2:09 PM, Cheri wrote:

I'm hoping someone can give me an answer since the floor installer says
one thing and the plumber that will be picking up the toilet and
installing it says another. The rough in is 11 1/4 by the floor
installer measurment, but the plumber said it is 10 1/2 which he would
have to order and would cost more. My measurements come out 11 1/4 so
assuming that 11 1/4 is right will a 12 in rough in toilet, which most
are it seems, fit this? Thanks for any help, it's driving me crazy
trying to figure it all out.

Are you all measuring to the same point, i.e. the edge of the rough in, or
the center?

Measuring to the center which the plumber said he did, and the floor
installer did while I watched him, then my husband did, and I did. 3 come
out with 11 1/4. Plumber comes out with 10 1/2.

Cheri

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/10/2015 2:24 PM, Cheri wrote:

[...]

You either need a new plumber, or your plumber needs a new tape measure.
:-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, May 10, 2015 at 2:37:19 PM UTC-4, FrozenNorth wrote:
[...]

Didn't anyone ask the plumber how he's measuring it and why
he says it's 10 1/2 while you're measuring 11 1/4? It's 3/4"
difference, which sounds about the thickness of moldings.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Well, I sort of think so too, but will a 12 inch rough in toilet fit the 11
1/4 rough in space. The floor installer said he thought it would do with no
problem, so I'm confused since the plumber said he would have to special
order it for 10 1/2, which will cost more.

Here's what happened with the other bathroom, 2 weeks ago. I picked out the
Kohler Cimmaron toilet which came complete with seat etc., except supply
line. Plumber told me that he couldn't sell it to me for the same price as
Lowe's which was 219.00, so he would have to add another 50.00 to it, I said
fine since I was tired of dealing with it. When he came to install it, it
didn't have the seat like it was supposed to, so he put another seat on it.
I told him that I wanted the slow close seat that came with it, so he did
order it (why since it was included) came out and replaced the other seat.
The installation of the toilet took an hour which he said he charges 90.00
per hour. OK, total cost was 500.00 for the toilet and installed. I feel
that it was excessive, so am a little shell shocked to have him bringing the
10 1/2 toilet. Sorry for the long story, but if I order the toilet myself, I
need to know what size rough in I need for 11 1/4 rough in.

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/10/2015 3:14 PM, Cheri wrote:

[...]

We can't see it from here, so hard to tell.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"trader_4" wrote in message
[...]

He measured it first after he had finished the other bathroom, so he hasn't
been back since then, just told us to give him a few days notice when the
floor is installed because it would have to be a special order, but we have
decided to go with a different plumbing company now. I just want to know if
a 12 inch rough in toilet will fit there or if I really need a special order
toilet.

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

"FrozenNorth" wrote in message

We can't see it from here, so hard to tell.

OK, thanks for the answers. I guess there is no standard answer for toilets
having some leeway in rough in size, so will have another plumber come and
measure and have them buy the toilet instead of me ordering it myself.

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 May 2015 12:05:11 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

[...]

Roughin is off the finished wall. If 12" or more, a 12" rough is fine.
If 11 3/4" then a 10 1/2" rough would be required so a measure of 11
1/4" down to 10 1/2" will require a 10 1/2" rough.
Some designs will "fudge" a bit but if you have to guarantee a fit then
the measure is needed to be for the spec'd rough range or the tank may
hit the wall causing problems or mis-align the floor flange causing
leaks and stoppages.
--
Mr.E

Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
Cheri typed:
"FrozenNorth" wrote in message
On 5/10/2015 2:09 PM, Cheri wrote:

I'm hoping someone can give me an answer since the floor installer
says one thing and the plumber that will be picking up the toilet
and installing it says another. The rough in is 11 1/4 by the floor
installer measurement, but the plumber said it is 10 1/2 which he
would have to order and would cost more. My measurements come out
11 1/4 so assuming that 11 1/4 is right will a 12 in rough in
toilet, which most are it seems, fit this? Thanks for any help,
it's driving me crazy trying to figure it all out.

Are you all measuring to the same point, i.e. the edge of the rough
in, or the center?

Measuring to the center which the plumber said he did, and the floor
installer did while I watched him, then my husband did, and I did. 3
come out with 11 1/4. Plumber comes out with 10 1/2.

The rough-in measurement is supposed to be from the center of the sewer
drain to the finished wall behind the toilet. I assume that is what you are
measuring -- to the finished wall, not to the edge of the wall base trim.
And, of course, if the wall is not yet a finished wall (maybe just studs at
this point), you have to be sure that you include the thickness of any
sheetrock and/or tile etc. that will be on the wall behind the toilet. But,
again, I assume that you and your husband already did all of that and that
is how you came up with the 11 1/4 inch rough-in.

Now, here's where it may get a little tricky. The rough-in allows for a
small space between the back of the toilet tank lid and the wall. So, a
12-inch rough-in toilet, when placed on an exactly 12-inch rough-in sewer
line center line will not go back the full 12 inches to the wall -- it will
leave a little space behind the toilet tank lid and the finished wall.

I just went online and picked a Kohler toilet at random and I looked at the
specs sheets. The one that I picked is a 12-inch rough-in toilet, and the
spec sheets for that toilet show that if it is placed over a 12 inch
rough-in sewer line, there will be a 1/2 inch space left between the toilet
tank top and the finished wall. Or, to put it another way, if you put that
toilet on an 11 1/2 inch rough-in sewer line, the back of the toilet tank
top would end up flush against the finished wall with no gap at all.

But, you said you have an 11 1/4 inch rough-in right now. I think that
means that if the same Kohler toilet were placed on your 11 1/4 inch
rough-in, the toilet would not fit because the toilet tank top would have to
intrude into your finished wall by 1/4 inch.

Here is the link to the specs for the sample Kohler toilet that I picked.
Scroll down and look at the dimensions from the back of the toilet tank lid
to the finished wall (which is 1/2 inch) -- if the rough-in were 12 inches.
http://www.us.kohler.com/webassets/k...-3817_spec.pdf

If you know the exact toilet model that you will be putting in, maybe you
could look that up online and see the spec sheet with the dimensions. It
should show how far back the back of the toilet tank goes and what the gap
would be to the finished wall with a 12 inch rough-in. Then, you would have
to figure out whether it will still fit if the rough-in is 11 1/4 inches
instead of 12 inches.

Good luck.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

OK, thanks! That answers my question because with new floor do not want
leakage of any kind.

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

"TomR" wrote in message
In ,
Cheri typed:
[...]

OK, thanks to all for the helpful answers. Got it. :-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 wrote:
[...]

Regardless I tend to believe plumber. After all he is the one installing
it. If he screws up, he has to fix it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Cheri wrote:

"FrozenNorth" wrote in message

We can't see it from here, so hard to tell.

OK, thanks for the answers. I guess there is no standard answer for
toilets having some leeway in rough in size, so will have another
plumber come and measure and have them buy the toilet instead of me
ordering it myself.

Cheri

I installed roughed in toilet twice in the basement. Always concern was
tank hitting the wall. Having some leeway is good idea. Let the plumber
do every thing. You'll have peace of mind. If he screws up, he will have
to fix it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
Cheri typed:
"TomR" wrote in message
In ,
Cheri typed:
"FrozenNorth" wrote in message
On 5/10/2015 2:09 PM, Cheri wrote:

I'm hoping someone can give me an answer since the floor installer
says one thing and the plumber that will be picking up the toilet
and installing it says another. The rough in is 11 1/4 by the
floor installer measurement, but the plumber said it is 10 1/2
[...]

Here's a P.S. in case it helps.

I just randomly picked another toilet model (a Gerber toilet), and that one
shows that it would have a 1-inch gap between the toilet and the wall with a
12-inch rough-in. So, with your 11 1/4 inch rough-in, I think that means
that toilet model would still leave you a 1/4 inch gap between the toilet
and the wall. In other words, that model of 12-inch rough-in toilet would
fit in your 11 1/4 rough-in space. So, you may want to check various other
toilet models of your choice and see what they show for the gap with a
12-inch rough-in, and compare that to what it would mean with your 11 1/4
inch rough-in.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
TomR typed:
In ,
Cheri typed:
"TomR" wrote in message
In ,
Cheri typed:
"FrozenNorth" wrote in message
On 5/10/2015 2:09 PM, Cheri wrote:

I'm hoping someone can give me an answer since the floor
installer says one thing and the plumber that will be picking up
the toilet and installing it says another. The rough in is 11
1/4 by the floor installer measurement, but the plumber said it
[...]

Oops, I forgot to add the link:

http://www.gerberonline.com/download...let/20-832.pdf

Posted to alt.home.repair

Cheri wrote:

Sorry for the long story, but
if I order the toilet myself, I need to know what size rough in I
need for 11 1/4 rough in.

I'm thinking much depends upon the individual toilet; i.e, the tank. They
do vary in thickness.
If the rough in is less than 12" and you use a toilet designed for a 12"
rough in, all may be fine OR the tank may hit the wall OR it (tank) might
not fit at all.

Are you going to use the same brand/model of toilet you used two weeks ago?
Was the rough in the same as the one of concern? If yes, you are good to
go. If not, measuring from the back of he tank to the wall on the installed
one will help IF you know the rough in for it and size of toilet used.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

"TomR" wrote in message

I just randomly picked another toilet model (a Gerber toilet), and
that one shows that it would have a 1-inch gap between the toilet and
the wall with a 12-inch rough-in. So, with your 11 1/4 inch
rough-in, I think that means that toilet model would still leave you
a 1/4 inch gap between the toilet and the wall. In other words, that
model of 12-inch rough-in toilet would fit in your 11 1/4 rough-in
space. So, you may want to check various other toilet models of your
choice and see what they show for the gap with a 12-inch rough-in,
and compare that to what it would mean with your 11 1/4 inch rough-in.

Oops, I forgot to add the link:

http://www.gerberonline.com/download...let/20-832.pdf

Thank you, very helpful, and I appreciate it.

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

I installed roughed in toilet twice in the basement. Always concern was
tank hitting the wall. Having some leeway is good idea. Let the plumber
do every thing. You'll have peace of mind. If he screws up, he will have
to fix it.

Yes, I intend to do just that. Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dadiOH" wrote in message

Are you going to use the same brand/model of toilet you used two weeks
ago? Was the rough in the same as the one of concern? If yes, you are
good to go. If not, measuring from the back of he tank to the wall on the
installed one will help IF you know the rough in for it and size of toilet
used.

No, the one that was previously installed in the other bathroom was a
definite 12 inch rough, and I bought a Kohler Cimmaron which the plumber
brought and installed after I had picked it out. At any rate, I was
wondering about it, if I could buy the toilet and have it professionally
installed, but didn't know what size to buy, but have decided to have the
plumber deal with it completely now. I got some really good information
here, and I appreciate all who answered.

Cheri