Posted to alt.home.repair
Cheri[_3_] Cheri[_3_] is offline

Default Question about toilet rough in

"FrozenNorth" wrote in message
On 5/10/2015 2:24 PM, Cheri wrote:

"FrozenNorth" wrote in message
On 5/10/2015 2:09 PM, Cheri wrote:

I'm hoping someone can give me an answer since the floor installer says
one thing and the plumber that will be picking up the toilet and
installing it says another. The rough in is 11 1/4 by the floor
installer measurment, but the plumber said it is 10 1/2 which he would
have to order and would cost more. My measurements come out 11 1/4 so
assuming that 11 1/4 is right will a 12 in rough in toilet, which most
are it seems, fit this? Thanks for any help, it's driving me crazy
trying to figure it all out.

Are you all measuring to the same point, i.e. the edge of the rough
in, or the center?

Measuring to the center which the plumber said he did, and the floor
installer did while I watched him, then my husband did, and I did. 3
come out with 11 1/4. Plumber comes out with 10 1/2.

You either need a new plumber, or your plumber needs a new tape measure.
:-)

Well, I sort of think so too, but will a 12 inch rough in toilet fit the 11
1/4 rough in space. The floor installer said he thought it would do with no
problem, so I'm confused since the plumber said he would have to special
order it for 10 1/2, which will cost more.

Here's what happened with the other bathroom, 2 weeks ago. I picked out the
Kohler Cimmaron toilet which came complete with seat etc., except supply
line. Plumber told me that he couldn't sell it to me for the same price as
Lowe's which was 219.00, so he would have to add another 50.00 to it, I said
fine since I was tired of dealing with it. When he came to install it, it
didn't have the seat like it was supposed to, so he put another seat on it.
I told him that I wanted the slow close seat that came with it, so he did
order it (why since it was included) came out and replaced the other seat.
The installation of the toilet took an hour which he said he charges 90.00
per hour. OK, total cost was 500.00 for the toilet and installed. I feel
that it was excessive, so am a little shell shocked to have him bringing the
10 1/2 toilet. Sorry for the long story, but if I order the toilet myself, I
need to know what size rough in I need for 11 1/4 rough in.

Cheri