Posted to alt.home.repair
TomR[_3_] TomR[_3_] is offline

Default Question about toilet rough in

In ,
Cheri typed:
"FrozenNorth" wrote in message
On 5/10/2015 2:09 PM, Cheri wrote:

I'm hoping someone can give me an answer since the floor installer
says one thing and the plumber that will be picking up the toilet
and installing it says another. The rough in is 11 1/4 by the floor
installer measurement, but the plumber said it is 10 1/2 which he
would have to order and would cost more. My measurements come out
11 1/4 so assuming that 11 1/4 is right will a 12 in rough in
toilet, which most are it seems, fit this? Thanks for any help,
it's driving me crazy trying to figure it all out.

Are you all measuring to the same point, i.e. the edge of the rough
in, or the center?

Measuring to the center which the plumber said he did, and the floor
installer did while I watched him, then my husband did, and I did. 3
come out with 11 1/4. Plumber comes out with 10 1/2.

The rough-in measurement is supposed to be from the center of the sewer
drain to the finished wall behind the toilet. I assume that is what you are
measuring -- to the finished wall, not to the edge of the wall base trim.
And, of course, if the wall is not yet a finished wall (maybe just studs at
this point), you have to be sure that you include the thickness of any
sheetrock and/or tile etc. that will be on the wall behind the toilet. But,
again, I assume that you and your husband already did all of that and that
is how you came up with the 11 1/4 inch rough-in.

Now, here's where it may get a little tricky. The rough-in allows for a
small space between the back of the toilet tank lid and the wall. So, a
12-inch rough-in toilet, when placed on an exactly 12-inch rough-in sewer
line center line will not go back the full 12 inches to the wall -- it will
leave a little space behind the toilet tank lid and the finished wall.

I just went online and picked a Kohler toilet at random and I looked at the
specs sheets. The one that I picked is a 12-inch rough-in toilet, and the
spec sheets for that toilet show that if it is placed over a 12 inch
rough-in sewer line, there will be a 1/2 inch space left between the toilet
tank top and the finished wall. Or, to put it another way, if you put that
toilet on an 11 1/2 inch rough-in sewer line, the back of the toilet tank
top would end up flush against the finished wall with no gap at all.

But, you said you have an 11 1/4 inch rough-in right now. I think that
means that if the same Kohler toilet were placed on your 11 1/4 inch
rough-in, the toilet would not fit because the toilet tank top would have to
intrude into your finished wall by 1/4 inch.

Here is the link to the specs for the sample Kohler toilet that I picked.
Scroll down and look at the dimensions from the back of the toilet tank lid
to the finished wall (which is 1/2 inch) -- if the rough-in were 12 inches.
http://www.us.kohler.com/webassets/k...-3817_spec.pdf

If you know the exact toilet model that you will be putting in, maybe you
could look that up online and see the spec sheet with the dimensions. It
should show how far back the back of the toilet tank goes and what the gap
would be to the finished wall with a 12 inch rough-in. Then, you would have
to figure out whether it will still fit if the rough-in is 11 1/4 inches
instead of 12 inches.

Good luck.