Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Talk about pricing...

Talk about pricing...

this thing has much different prices for a 1 and a 1-pack.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Scotch-401...ed%2Btape&th=1

And a 2-pack is 3 times the price of a 1-pack!
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to micky, Iggy wrote:
Yep, that's what you get in a world of a trillion stupid products rather than
just the best products. Not that there should even be money or buying, but you
also then end up with retailing frauds and con-men and women. "Look at how
great our sales price is, just don't look at our shipping costs".

Amazon, Ebay, Walmart, etc. are teeming with frauds. My "favorites" are
Unbeatable Sale, Zoro, We The People, Life & Home and Wayfair (there are a
boat-load more). Some have prices that are half, but their shipping costs are
double the sales price. The Moral of Humanity's endless story of abject
stupidity, you get what you let.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...g-1142088-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/25/2017 1:56 AM, micky wrote:
Talk about pricing...

this thing has much different prices for a 1 and a 1-pack.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Scotch-401...ed%2Btape&th=1

And a 2-pack is 3 times the price of a 1-pack!

Did you notice that each has a different seller? If you click on each
item the seller (who sets the price) changes. It is just as you went to
the different stores in your neighborhood to do comparison shopping.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/25/2017 9:14 AM, Iggy wrote:
replying to micky, Iggy wrote:
Yep, that's what you get in a world of a trillion stupid products rather
than
just the best products. Not that there should even be money or buying,
but you
also then end up with retailing frauds and con-men and women. "Look at how
great our sales price is, just don't look at our shipping costs".

Amazon, Ebay, Walmart, etc. are teeming with frauds. My "favorites" are
Unbeatable Sale, Zoro, We The People, Life & Home and Wayfair (there are a
boat-load more). Some have prices that are half, but their shipping
costs are
double the sales price. The Moral of Humanity's endless story of abject
stupidity, you get what you let.

How is it fraud? Amazon has different sellers for the product and just
like your local store, they set the price. Amazon is just showing that
item in each variation. Note when you click on the different packs the
seller changes. You have a choice.

As an informed consumer you can shop and compare to find what is best
for you. The selling price with high shipping is often to get you to
look but the total price is what matters. If you buy an item for $5 and
want to sell it for $8 and make a profit you have to add the real
shipping cost. That includes the box, tape, wrap, time to pack it.
Let's say that comes to $2. Total price is $10 to the buyer. If you
want to offer free shipping you set the price at $10. Same price to the
buyer. OTOH, you do find the seller that will have $12 shipping.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 25 Aug 2017 09:25:52 -0400, Ed Pawlowski
wrote:

On 8/25/2017 1:56 AM, micky wrote:
Talk about pricing...

this thing has much different prices for a 1 and a 1-pack.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Scotch-401...ed%2Btape&th=1

And a 2-pack is 3 times the price of a 1-pack!

Did you notice that each has a different seller? If you click on each
item the seller (who sets the price) changes. It is just as you went to
the different stores in your neighborhood to do comparison shopping.

I missed that. Thanks. I'm glad I posted.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Ed Pawlowski, Iggy wrote:
Choice is, pay more for the same lowest-grade piece of crap...it's "free
enterprise", a sucker born every minute? How's that not fraud and betrayal of
technology, intelligence and humanity itself? You're, possibly, even from the
days when Craftsman, General Electric, John Deere and parts that are endlessly
recyclable meant something. We've devolved and everyone accepted it. The
slippery slope came along and we jumped on it like a water slide. Look it's
the same $5 I spent for something like it 30-years ago, but it only lasted
30-days. yippy. Sorry, I'm just ashamed and embarrassed for and of people and
society.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...g-1142088-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/25/2017 1:44 PM, Iggy wrote:
replying to Ed Pawlowski, Iggy wrote:
Choice is, pay more for the same lowest-grade piece of crap...it's "free
enterprise", a sucker born every minute? How's that not fraud and
betrayal of
technology, intelligence and humanity itself? You're, possibly, even
from the
days when Craftsman, General Electric, John Deere and parts that are
endlessly
recyclable meant something. We've devolved and everyone accepted it. The
slippery slope came along and we jumped on it like a water slide. Look it's
the same $5 I spent for something like it 30-years ago, but it only lasted
30-days. yippy. Sorry, I'm just ashamed and embarrassed for and of
people and
society.

Did we devolve and accept it or did we cause it? Are we buying cheaper
products because that is what we are given or is it because we keep
looking for the lowest possible price and want to have every luxury and
toy available? We value quantity over quality.

We were doing well when dad had a Chevy sedan in the driveway, now Dad
has a BMW and mom has the Volvo.

All of that though, has nothing to do with particular item pricing at
Amazon as was the original subject.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Ed Pawlowski, Iggy wrote:
Nope, our Masters switched the game and we just said: Whatever. The low or
even lowest cost used to be real quality sold in volume, earning a worthy
reputation and not needing a warranty. But now, we can barely get anyone to
honor their warranty.

I would never buy a BMW or Volvo, but just like the Amazon situation there
they are with suckers believing the Marketing. The worst of the low-grade
garbage at 2 to 4-times the price and even more disappointment when it fails
and oh it does fail quickly. Asking yourself, "what happened to you get what
you pay for".

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...g-1142088-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, August 25, 2017 at 4:44:09 PM UTC-4, Iggy wrote:
replying to Ed Pawlowski, Iggy wrote:
Nope, our Masters switched the game and we just said: Whatever. The low or
even lowest cost used to be real quality sold in volume, earning a worthy
reputation and not needing a warranty. But now, we can barely get anyone to
honor their warranty.

I would never buy a BMW or Volvo, but just like the Amazon situation there
they are with suckers believing the Marketing. The worst of the low-grade
garbage at 2 to 4-times the price and even more disappointment when it fails
and oh it does fail quickly. Asking yourself, "what happened to you get what
you pay for".

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...g-1142088-.htm

If you would never buy one, how the hell do you know what they are like?
Nuff said.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/25/2017 6:49 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:

You worked for $1.60/hr too? When I was in college I was working 11:00pm to 7:00am in a defense plant and I got $1.68/hr with the 8¢ being a shift differential I received because I was working 3rd shift. Regular gasoline was 22¢/gal at the rural gas stations and at Burger King, a Wopper, fry and a Coke was $1.00. I believe The Dollar was worth a lot more then. I think we were still on the gold standard at the time. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Standard Monster

We didn't have as many lazy liberal democrats to support back then either.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/24/2017 10:56 PM, micky wrote:
Talk about pricing...

this thing has much different prices for a 1 and a 1-pack.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Scotch-401...ed%2Btape&th=1

And a 2-pack is 3 times the price of a 1-pack!

What does "One roll of double-sided tape for mounting items up to five
pounds" mean? Does it take a whole roll to hold a 5 lb object?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 Aug 2017 18:10:26 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

FWIW, I've not bought a GM car in 15 years. While the new ones are
better than we had in the'60s, there are better made by Korean and
Japanese companies now.

I've been very pleased with every GM car I've had since my 1976 Chevy Caprice.
GM is where you find the best value in used cars. Never bought one new.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/26/2017 7:58 AM, Vic Smith wrote:
On Fri, 25 Aug 2017 18:10:26 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

FWIW, I've not bought a GM car in 15 years. While the new ones are
better than we had in the'60s, there are better made by Korean and
Japanese companies now.

I've been very pleased with every GM car I've had since my 1976 Chevy Caprice.
GM is where you find the best value in used cars. Never bought one new.

Last GM car I has was a 2001 Buick LeSabre. It was falling part in my
driveway in just 5 years. Both rear door windows were held up with a
wood stick after they would not go up any more, the trans had to be
rebuilt, brake lines rusted out, the climate control was interesting.
One side was hot, the other cold. By changing the setting you could
reverse it. Some of the steering wheel controls did not work. I had
the car two years but hat 38,000 miles so when the heated seat stopped
working they wanted $672 to fix it. I wrote to Buick and they would
give me a few bucks off to buy a new car.

Every GM car I bought new had to go back to the dealer within the first
month for something needing adjustment or fixing. I gave the Buick away
rather than try to sell it.

I'm on my fourth Hyundai. Two had to go back for a minor warranty issue
at about 60k miles. If it was a GM car, the warranty would have already
expired. The other two I had for 70,000 miles and never needed
anything. Present car is a Genesis. Nice to drive, best car I ever had.

Going back we had a lot of GM cars in the family. I remember my
father's '59 Chevy Impala going back to the dealer with a list of 20
items to take care of. The remains of someone's lunch at the factory
was found under the back seat.