Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default [OT] ISPs Tiscali/ talk talk, or whatever silly name they call themselves.

Can anyone recommend a decent ISP. I'm fed up to the back teeth with
Tiscali or Talk talk or whatever they call themselves first of all their
newsgroup service was virtually non existent so I went to a German uni
which I pay an extra £10 a year for but it's a good service. And now
recently my Emails are failing to come through,. no information if their
server has gone down. I can do without the hassle. Where do I go?
Don
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/09/2010 10:59, Donwill wrote:
Can anyone recommend a decent ISP. I'm fed up to the back teeth with
Tiscali or Talk talk

You survived this long??

See who else is offering service to your exchange
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/broadband_checker

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Donwill Donwill.seesig@in
valid.invalid scribeth thus
Can anyone recommend a decent ISP.

Yes, Zen Internet, not cheap but very good..

I'm fed up to the back teeth with
Tiscali or Talk talk or whatever they call themselves first of all their
newsgroup service was virtually non existent so I went to a German uni
which I pay an extra £10 a year for but it's a good service. And now
recently my Emails are failing to come through,. no information if their
server has gone down. I can do without the hassle. Where do I go?
Don

Eternal September, good works fine and its Free...

http://www.eternal-september.org/
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian C" wrote in message
On 06/09/2010 10:59, Donwill wrote:
Can anyone recommend a decent ISP. I'm fed up to the back teeth with
Tiscali or Talk talk

You survived this long??

See who else is offering service to your exchange
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/broadband_checker

If you can get it where you are, and you don't mind paying extra try
www.zen.co.uk. Consistently the winner in many ISP awards. They also retain
non-binary newsgroup access, which is very reliable. I cannot remember my
last downtime.

Best of all, it's a monthly contract. No minimum term. And there's a simple
reason for that. People don't leave them very often! :-)

JW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Donwill wrote:
Can anyone recommend a decent ISP. I'm fed up to the back teeth with
Tiscali or Talk talk or whatever they call themselves first of all their
newsgroup service was virtually non existent so I went to a German uni
which I pay an extra £10 a year for but it's a good service. And now
recently my Emails are failing to come through,. no information if their
server has gone down. I can do without the hassle. Where do I go?

I'm with Pipex - part of the same group which is Opal Telecom, IIRC.

Pipex did give warning they were to cease their own 'free' news feed -
supplied by GigaNews - and suggested I sign up direct with them and pay.

I'm now using either news.aioe.org or news.eternal-september.org both
of which are free, and seem to work ok for the newsgroups I want.

Many have reported problems with the e-mail alias feature on some of the
companies owned by them.

So far I'm ok.

--
*Just give me chocolate and nobody gets hurt

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Donwill wrote:
Can anyone recommend a decent ISP. I'm fed up to the back teeth with
Tiscali or Talk talk or whatever they call themselves first of all their
newsgroup service was virtually non existent so I went to a German uni
which I pay an extra £10 a year for but it's a good service. And now
recently my Emails are failing to come through,. no information if their
server has gone down. I can do without the hassle. Where do I go?
Don

I have had no problems with UKFSN (www.ukfsn.org) They are a small
reseller of Enta.net and support open-source software. Enta.net is a
aimed at more commercial users so is seldom that congested in the
evenings and gives true unlimited downloads between midnight and 8am if
you really feel the need to download the complete Linux source code.
Otherwise there are various packages with download limits but with an
easy method of PAYG beyond that. I am on 30Gb per month but am sure that
I could get away with 3Gb/month. UKFSN offers the usual email/webspace
and news access. And it comes with a fixed IP address which can be useful.

Andrew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Donwill" wrote in message
Can anyone recommend a decent ISP. I'm fed up to the back teeth with
Tiscali or Talk talk or whatever they call themselves first of all their
newsgroup service was virtually non existent so I went to a German uni
which I pay an extra £10 a year for but it's a good service. And now
recently my Emails are failing to come through,. no information if their
server has gone down. I can do without the hassle. Where do I go?
Don

plusnet.

No probs at all, much cheapness, and if you quote my user name *reply
address works if you unmung it) I get some money off my account every month
too )

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 6, 10:59*am, Donwill wrote:
Can anyone recommend a decent ISP. I'm fed up to the back teeth with
Tiscali or Talk talk or whatever they call themselves first of all their
newsgroup service was virtually non existent so I went to a German uni
which I pay an extra £10 a year for but it's a good service. And now
recently my Emails are failing to come through,. no information if their
server has gone down. I can do without the hassle. Where do I go?
Don

Have you tried the talk talk members forums? I had good help there (it
is inhabited by real UK support staff as well as other users) and
generally cannot fault the service.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian C wrote:

On 06/09/2010 10:59, Donwill wrote:
Can anyone recommend a decent ISP. I'm fed up to the back teeth with
Tiscali or Talk talk

You survived this long??

See who else is offering service to your exchange
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/broadband_checker

Ideally LLU service
\0

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/09/2010 10:59, Donwill wrote:
Can anyone recommend a decent ISP. I'm fed up to the back teeth with
Tiscali or Talk talk or whatever they call themselves first of all
their newsgroup service was virtually non existent so I went to a
German uni which I pay an extra £10 a year for but it's a good
service. And now recently my Emails are failing to come through,. no
information if their server has gone down. I can do without the
hassle. Where do I go?
Don

Good my emails are coming through this morning,I send an email to
myself and I can download it from their server within seconds. But of
course no explanation or apology from talk-talk O:-) despite two
complaints to them.

Don

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Donwill wrote:
On 06/09/2010 10:59, Donwill wrote:
Can anyone recommend a decent ISP. I'm fed up to the back teeth with
Tiscali or Talk talk or whatever they call themselves first of all
their newsgroup service was virtually non existent so I went to a
German uni which I pay an extra £10 a year for but it's a good
service. And now recently my Emails are failing to come through,. no
information if their server has gone down. I can do without the
hassle. Where do I go?
Don

Good my emails are coming through this morning,I send an email to
myself and I can download it from their server within seconds. But of
course no explanation or apology from talk-talk O:-) despite two
complaints to them.

Rather the same as Pipex, then. They never give details of faults. Perhaps
to stop people claiming back money from them?

--
*Ah, I see the f**k-up fairy has visited us again

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mark" wrote in message
Adrian C wrote:

On 06/09/2010 10:59, Donwill wrote:
Can anyone recommend a decent ISP. I'm fed up to the back teeth with
Tiscali or Talk talk

You survived this long??

See who else is offering service to your exchange
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/broadband_checker

Ideally LLU service

He might already have that, with TalkTalk! ;-)

Personally I'd much rather be using BT exchange equipment, via a decent ISP.
Well, actually, I'd rather be on cable, but that's another story!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 6, 10:59*am, Donwill wrote:
Can anyone recommend a decent ISP. I'm fed up to the back teeth with
Tiscali or Talk talk or whatever they call themselves first of all their
newsgroup service was virtually non existent so I went to a German uni
which I pay an extra £10 a year for but it's a good service. And now
recently my Emails are failing to come through,. no information if their
server has gone down. I can do without the hassle. Where do I go?
Don

Had much positive experience with Newnet. Another small ISP, and
charges not cheap. However, utterly reliable, fast connection (faster
than when I was with Pipex) and no hassles at all.

Just my recommendation though. adslguide (now "thinkbroadband" -
www.thinkbroadband.com) has good comparison tools so you can check out
whether my experience is mirrored by others!

Matt
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , John Whitworth
scribeth thus

"Mark" wrote in message
Adrian C wrote:

On 06/09/2010 10:59, Donwill wrote:
Can anyone recommend a decent ISP. I'm fed up to the back teeth with
Tiscali or Talk talk

You survived this long??

See who else is offering service to your exchange
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/broadband_checker

Ideally LLU service

He might already have that, with TalkTalk! ;-)

Personally I'd much rather be using BT exchange equipment, via a decent ISP.
Well, actually, I'd rather be on cable, but that's another story!

Well we've been with VM now since the net started almost and I can't
really fault it at all . We have ADSL services elsewhere and I'd much
prefer the VM service if it were available there!...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 8 Sep 2010 00:01:00 +0100, "John Whitworth"
wrote:

"Mark" wrote in message
Adrian C wrote:

On 06/09/2010 10:59, Donwill wrote:
Can anyone recommend a decent ISP. I'm fed up to the back teeth with
Tiscali or Talk talk

You survived this long??

See who else is offering service to your exchange
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/broadband_checker

Ideally LLU service

He might already have that, with TalkTalk! ;-)

Personally I'd much rather be using BT exchange equipment ...

Why? You have to contend with annoyances such as IP profiles and you
have little control over noise margins. In addition you have to have
several companies involved if there is a line fault.
--
(\__/) M.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Mark" wrote in message
Adrian C wrote:

On 06/09/2010 10:59, Donwill wrote:
Can anyone recommend a decent ISP. I'm fed up to the back teeth with
Tiscali or Talk talk

You survived this long??

See who else is offering service to your exchange
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/broadband_checker

Ideally LLU service

He might already have that, with TalkTalk! ;-)

Personally I'd much rather be using BT exchange equipment ...

Why? You have to contend with annoyances such as IP profiles and you
have little control over noise margins. In addition you have to have
several companies involved if there is a line fault.

I guess it depends on the company doing the LLU. My dad has TalkTalk LLU,
and it's not great on the phone line itself.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 6, 10:59*am, Donwill wrote:
Can anyone recommend a decent ISP. I'm fed up to the back teeth with
Tiscali or Talk talk or whatever they call themselves first of all their
newsgroup service was virtually non existent so I went to a German uni
which I pay an extra £10 a year for but it's a good service. And now
recently my Emails are failing to come through,. no information if their
server has gone down. I can do without the hassle. Where do I go?
Don

If only it were that simple!

Your choice may well be limited by your local telephone exchange --
if it hasn't been unbundled, then you're going to be buying a
rebundled BT service. Past experience in these circumstances,
however, suggests that not all resellers either purchase or receive an
equal service from BT on the same exchange. Even the best of
resellers can't necessarily sort out problems with their upstream
supplier.

I've had good service from ISPs with a poor reputation and unsolved
major problems with suppliers with a good reputation.

Add into the equation the fact that in today's financial climate
there's every likelihood that an ISP will be taken over within a
relatively short space of time and you have a recipe for confusion.
Helpful personal technical support may rapidly be replaced by
impenetrable gibberish from Mumbai.

I certainly wouldn't make the availability or otherwise of a newsgroup
service the determining factor in making my choice of ISP.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Whitworth wrote:

"Mark" wrote in message
Adrian C wrote:

On 06/09/2010 10:59, Donwill wrote:
Can anyone recommend a decent ISP. I'm fed up to the back teeth with
Tiscali or Talk talk

You survived this long??

See who else is offering service to your exchange
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/broadband_checker

Ideally LLU service

He might already have that, with TalkTalk! ;-)

Personally I'd much rather be using BT exchange equipment, via a decent
ISP. Well, actually, I'd rather be on cable, but that's another story!

Well admittedly TT would be at the bottom of the choice list on LLU, But if
the OP has a phone line that could be susceptible to noise the BT IP profile
and BRAS system can be disastrous*with adsl as another mark pointed out,*
And to make matters worse*the new 21cn is an even bigger cockup if your line
suffers a noise incident*on ADSL2+ your profile can be banded by BT and that's
not easy to remove, the isp reports a fault to BTW and get a reply saying
"For your connection, the acceptable range of speed*is 1000-7150 Kbps"*
\0

APC UPS won't talk to me notme Electronics Repair 31 August 15th 09 09:17 PM
Well, let's talk about my new DVR LBledsoe Woodturning 10 May 8th 09 07:46 PM
Talk me out of it tommyboy Woodworking 16 July 11th 08 06:02 PM
Talk Talk ? the_constructor UK diy 21 July 25th 07 10:24 AM
[OT] Can We Talk? If al Qaeda phones, tell them we can't take the call. Joseph Gwinn Metalworking 0 February 11th 06 05:59 PM