Posted to uk.d-i-y
John MacLeod John MacLeod is offline

Default ISPs Tiscali/ talk talk, or whatever silly name they call themselves.

On Sep 6, 10:59*am, Donwill wrote:
Can anyone recommend a decent ISP. I'm fed up to the back teeth with
Tiscali or Talk talk or whatever they call themselves first of all their
newsgroup service was virtually non existent so I went to a German uni
which I pay an extra £10 a year for but it's a good service. And now
recently my Emails are failing to come through,. no information if their
server has gone down. I can do without the hassle. Where do I go?
Don

If only it were that simple!

Your choice may well be limited by your local telephone exchange --
if it hasn't been unbundled, then you're going to be buying a
rebundled BT service. Past experience in these circumstances,
however, suggests that not all resellers either purchase or receive an
equal service from BT on the same exchange. Even the best of
resellers can't necessarily sort out problems with their upstream
supplier.

I've had good service from ISPs with a poor reputation and unsolved
major problems with suppliers with a good reputation.

Add into the equation the fact that in today's financial climate
there's every likelihood that an ISP will be taken over within a
relatively short space of time and you have a recipe for confusion.
Helpful personal technical support may rapidly be replaced by
impenetrable gibberish from Mumbai.

I certainly wouldn't make the availability or otherwise of a newsgroup
service the determining factor in making my choice of ISP.