Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cat **** on wood floor

A tenant had a cat and the apt stinks, the wood floor was redone
before he moved in but I am worried it went inbetween the planks. What
do I wash it with. I have heard of Natures Miracle an Enzime base
deoderizer, would an Enzime base laundry detergent help. They were
only there 6 months but the smell has to go.
Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley,

I have used the malodourants / enzymes on concrete with good luck. I have
never used it on wood. Buy it at a janitorial supply not at the pet stores.
Use it liberally. If the smell is still there you didn't use enough or keep
it wet long enough for the enzymes to work. I would apply it liberally and
lay plastic over it to give it more time to work.

cm

"ransley" wrote in message
A tenant had a cat and the apt stinks, the wood floor was redone
before he moved in but I am worried it went inbetween the planks. What
do I wash it with. I have heard of Natures Miracle an Enzime base
deoderizer, would an Enzime base laundry detergent help. They were
only there 6 months but the smell has to go.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ransley" wrote in message
A tenant had a cat and the apt stinks, the wood floor was redone
before he moved in but I am worried it went inbetween the planks. What
do I wash it with. I have heard of Natures Miracle an Enzime base
deoderizer, would an Enzime base laundry detergent help. They were
only there 6 months but the smell has to go.

A janatorial supply will also have oder bombs.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 14, 8:21*am, ransley wrote:
A tenant had a cat and the apt stinks, the wood floor was redone
before he moved in but I am worried it went inbetween the planks. What
do I wash it with. I have heard of Natures Miracle an Enzime base
deoderizer, would an Enzime base laundry detergent help. They were
only there 6 months but the smell has to go.

If all else fails, maybe ServPro could help. Good luck.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

"ransley" wrote in message
A tenant had a cat and the apt stinks, the wood floor was redone
before he moved in but I am worried it went inbetween the planks. What
do I wash it with. I have heard of Natures Miracle an Enzime base
deoderizer, would an Enzime base laundry detergent help. They were
only there 6 months but the smell has to go.

Hello,

When we had a dog, I had great success with a product called 123 Odor
Free. Here's the website:

http://www.justrite.com/

Don't be stingy with it on the areas you treat. I had to use it about
three times on the same spot so while it's no miracle, it will work.
What I liked about it is that it also has a vanilla odor so it will mask
the odor for at least a little while as the enzymes work.

I've always wondered if an oxidizing agent like that found in Oxy Clean
or the equivalent would work. Hydrogen peroxide might also work but I would
be a little nervous about putting it on wood.
These oxidizing agents work on skunk odor so I am guessing they would
work on cat urine odor as well.

Good Luck.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 17:02:48 -0500, Van Chocstraw
wrote:

. I wouldn't allow animals in my building.

What about the tenants?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 06:21:16 -0800 (PST), ransley
wrote:

A tenant had a cat and the apt stinks, the wood floor was redone
before he moved in but I am worried it went inbetween the planks. What
do I wash it with. I have heard of Natures Miracle an Enzime base
deoderizer, would an Enzime base laundry detergent help. They were
only there 6 months but the smell has to go.

Open some windows, cast some baking soda on the area(s). In a few days
wash/mop the floor with trisodium phosphate (TSP). Repeat if
necessary.

It if stinks really bad, wash/rinse the walls with TSP
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

A tenant had a cat and the apt stinks, the wood floor was redone
before he moved in but I am worried it went inbetween the planks. What
do I wash it with. I have heard of Natures Miracle an Enzime base
deoderizer, would an Enzime base laundry detergent help. They were
only there 6 months but the smell has to go.

Best plan is no pets. An enzyme cleaner is the way to go. Try to
limit amount and time of water on wood to avoid swelling, use fans.
After cleaning a couple coats of Varathane will protect.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

A tenant had a cat and the apt stinks, the wood floor was redone
before he moved in but I am worried it went inbetween the planks. What
do I wash it with. I have heard of Natures Miracle an Enzime base
deoderizer, would an Enzime base laundry detergent help. They were
only there 6 months but the smell has to go.

Neighbor's cat marked the seat of my truck. I used some stuff called
XO Odor Eater. My wife used it on me after tripping over a skunk in a
dark barn. One treatment did it.

http://www.xocorp.com/products.asp

I see now they call it Odor Neutralizer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:
A tenant had a cat and the apt stinks, the wood floor was redone
before he moved in but I am worried it went inbetween the planks. What
do I wash it with. I have heard of Natures Miracle an Enzime base
deoderizer, would an Enzime base laundry detergent help. They were
only there 6 months but the smell has to go.

Hi Ransley, if you are serious there was a recent discussion about this on
either this group or uk.d-i.y.
Google.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 14, 9:21*am, ransley wrote:
A tenant had a cat and the apt stinks, the wood floor was redone
before he moved in but I am worried it went inbetween the planks. What
do I wash it with. I have heard of Natures Miracle an Enzime base
deoderizer, would an Enzime base laundry detergent help. They were
only there 6 months but the smell has to go.

First put vinegar to nutralize da amonia, den atfer put baking soda. -
Cappy
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Van Chocstraw" wrote in message
ransley wrote:
A tenant had a cat and the apt stinks, the wood floor was redone
before he moved in but I am worried it went inbetween the planks. What
do I wash it with. I have heard of Natures Miracle an Enzime base
deoderizer, would an Enzime base laundry detergent help. They were
only there 6 months but the smell has to go.

Hire a pro and charge the tenant. Take them to small claims court if you
have to. I wouldn't allow animals in my building.

Animals are fine. It's children I would never allow.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 14, 10:47*pm, Cappy wrote:
On Feb 14, 9:21*am, ransley wrote:

A tenant had a cat and the apt stinks, the wood floor was redone
before he moved in but I am worried it went inbetween the planks. What
do I wash it with. I have heard of Natures Miracle an Enzime base
deoderizer, would an Enzime base laundry detergent help. They were
only there 6 months but the smell has to go.

First put vinegar to nutralize da amonia, den atfer put baking soda. *-
Cappy

Vinegar is cheap, thats an idea I never heard of.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"ransley" wrote in message
A tenant had a cat and the apt stinks, the wood floor was redone
before he moved in but I am worried it went inbetween the planks. What
do I wash it with. I have heard of Natures Miracle an Enzime base
deoderizer, would an Enzime base laundry detergent help. They were
only there 6 months but the smell has to go.

My last two houses had animal **** in certain spots . The first the carpet
was saturated in one spot without going into detail into might of been the
owners ****. I had to rip the carpet out it soaked into the subfloor I
sealed it with kilz then new carpet. In our recent house I had the same
problem but on a slab removing the carpet I painted the floor with kilz
again Then did a glue down hard wood floor. I have tried all those Enzyme
cleaners and odor eaters with no success . I think a factor might be how
much damage has been done if your floors are stained or have black edges
between boards the **** most likely soaked down in. If you have cleaned the
surface ( I'm sure you have) and still are getting an odor you might have a
problem. You might try contacting a cleaning service that specializes in
fire and water damage.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:
A tenant had a cat and the apt stinks, the wood floor was redone
before he moved in but I am worried it went inbetween the planks. What
do I wash it with. I have heard of Natures Miracle an Enzime base
deoderizer, would an Enzime base laundry detergent help. They were
only there 6 months but the smell has to go.

If all else fails, you can buy or rent an Ozone generator, and not a
namby-pamby one either.

At the risk of sounding too graphic, these are the devices used to sanitize
a house where several bodies have been left to decompose for extended
periods.

Makes the house smell as sweet as a day after a spring shower.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 16, 6:30*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
ransley wrote:
A tenant had a cat and the apt stinks, the wood floor was redone
before he moved in but I am worried it went inbetween the planks. What
do I wash it with. I have heard of Natures Miracle an Enzime base
deoderizer, would an Enzime base laundry detergent help. They were
only there 6 months but the smell has to go.

If all else fails, you can buy or rent an Ozone generator, and not a
namby-pamby one either.

At the risk of sounding too graphic, these are the devices used to sanitize
a house where several bodies have been left to decompose for extended
periods.

Makes the house smell as sweet as a day after a spring shower.

Cat **** is alkaline - amonia right? Maybe Vinegar an acid is a
neutraliser? Like skunk is cleaned with tomatoe juice an acid. He was
only there 6 mo and floors look good as they were refinished in 07, im
thinking of pouring-mop on a few gallons of vinegar to soak in the
seams. Does ozone actualy get rid of smell permanently.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 16, 7:40�am, ransley wrote:
On Feb 16, 6:30�am, "HeyBub" wrote:

ransley wrote:
[...]

vinegar will initially get rid of the odor, but next most weather odor
will return.

sadly theres probably little you can do beyond refinishing again with
OUTDOOR POLYURETHANE, a couple good coats to seal all the cracks make
sure all boards are secure.

outdoor poly smells terrible till dry but doesnt absorb water or pee.

have you considered covering the real wood with something else thats
harder to damage, or cheap to replace like vinyl tile?

its a rental hardwood will be getting abused
Posted to alt.home.repair

Look I had the urinew trouble in my moms old home, outdoor poly fixed
it

a buddies mom bought a home ands called for advice, I told her outdor
poly.,

she got mad and did the vinegar thing.

that was years ago

recently she admitted i was right her house still smells like pee
every time it rains.....

she has asthma and will have to go on vacaton and have much of her
beloings moved to storage for the week while floors are refinished and
walls pained first with kilz, then regulkar paint.

much easier to do while home was vacant

some of your odor might be in walls, or furnace vents including air
returns
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 16, 7:59*am, " wrote:
Look I had the urinew trouble in my moms old home, outdoor poly fixed
it

a buddies mom bought a home ands called for advice, I told her outdor
poly.,

she got mad and did the vinegar thing.

that was years ago

recently she admitted i was right her house still smells like pee
every time it rains.....

she has asthma and will have to go on vacaton and have much of her
beloings moved to storage for the week while floors are refinished and
walls pained first with kilz, then regulkar paint.

much easier to do while home was vacant

some of your odor might be in walls, or furnace vents including air
returns

Poly was new in 07, I can only think its inbetween the wood plank,
would new poly then help? Neutraliseing it sounds logical as in
pouring out a liqued, but then I have heard of cats and skunk ruining
a house. One on this animal cop show I saw a house that had something
like 110 cats inside for years. They wore whaite suits and respirators
to go inside, flees were crawling on the windows. One house N of
Chicago the insurance co is near 300,000 in skunk cleaning costs. No
more pets for tenants.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 16, 9:45�am, ransley wrote:
On Feb 16, 7:59�am, " wrote:

[...]

more pets for tenants.- Hide quoted text -

most poly is indoor poly it absorbs water, and pee.

outdoor poly is marine grade, for wet environments.

a coat of new outdoor poly over the properly prepared floor will fix
the problem. its what the fire restoration people do to elminate smoke
odors

did the urine discolor the floors or turn them black in the cracks?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 16, 6:30�am, "HeyBub" wrote:

ransley wrote:
[...]

Rental or not, covering Real Hardwood is a sin. Chalk it up to lessons
learned, fix it and move on. In the next lease, a No Effing Pets!
clause, and a paragraph in the damage deposit page addressing care and
feeding of wood floors. Maybe leave a bottle of the proper cleaning
stuff and a swiffer with a buffing pad as a hint.

We had cats as a kid- they never peed on the wood floors. Of course,
they also crapped outside, so didn't associate inside with a suitable
place to go.
--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 04:40:56 -0800 (PST), ransley wrote:
On Feb 16, 6:30*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
ransley wrote:
[...]

The PH isn't the problem. The problem is that a male cat in the process
of spraying is little different than having a skunk in the house.

All that can be done with the flooring is seal it, replace it, or torch it.
Nothing will get the odor out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 16, 6:30?am, "HeyBub" wrote:
ransley wrote:
[...]

Nothing will get the odor out.- Hide quoted text -

very well said the odor cant be removed just sealed in the wood or
walls permanetely

this said having a pet friendly rental can get you faster rentals with
better credit.

just put protections in lease to minimize pet damage and perhaps
charge extra to have a pet.....

If I rented out a place, I would not allow cats unless the owner
provided documentation that there were no unneutered male cats.

And I'm the opposite of an anti-cat bigot. I'm a cat person having
lived with the critters for 25 years. I also know that nothing will
remove the odor left behind from a spraying male cat short of floor
replacement or sealing (replace carpeting, paint over affected plywood, etc)

Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:

May as well trash it yourself, then. A couple years under vinyl or w/w
carpet will trash hardwood as quick as cats will.

Not necessarily. A couple of years ago, I pulled up carpet in one bedroom,
cleaned, buffed and waxed the oak hardwood It was fine. My guess is that the
carpet had been down for twenty years or more. The previous owners had dogs,
cats, and kids. -- Doug
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 21:36:28 GMT, aemeijers wrote:

wrote:
On Feb 16, 12:22�pm, AZ Nomad wrote:

(snip)

as to hardwood floors, they can be easily damaged. would you equip
your rental with a valuable and fragile ming vase?

hardwood is like that, but it can be covered with a variety of things
like sheet vinyl

May as well trash it yourself, then. A couple years under vinyl or w/w
carpet will trash hardwood as quick as cats will. Need better tenants,
is all- ones who understand the concept of Real Wood. They are out
there. May be hard to find, especially if your rental is otherwise too
low on the food chain, but they are out there. I'd never build a house
for rental with hardwood, but if I was buying another rental property,
I'd sure factor that into the comparison between possible houses to buy.
Of course, I'm not likely to ever buy another one, because I'd have to
rent to strangers, and renting to family is enough of a PITA.

Use a strong bleach solution. Pour it on heavy, let it sit for 10
min. Use shop vac to remove it. Problem solved!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 16, 6:30?am, "HeyBub" wrote:
ransley wrote:
[...]

replacement or sealing (replace carpeting, paint over affected plywood, etc)- Hide quoted text -

I think they ran out of cat litter on purpose, I cant smell it now but
a friend can, I threw the guy out for theft of my equipment so he was
****ed, for all I know he ****ed on floor.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 16, 7:59 am, " wrote:

[...]

did the urine discolor the floors or turn them black in the cracks?- Hide quoted text -

No floor looks new as it is recently sanded. Threw out a couch and bed
he left, the smell is nothing to me now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Cat owners seem to swear by Natures Miracle.

Comes in various sizes -- as big as a gallon.

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:
A tenant had a cat and the apt stinks, the wood floor was redone
before he moved in but I am worried it went inbetween the planks. What
do I wash it with. I have heard of Natures Miracle an Enzime base
deoderizer, would an Enzime base laundry detergent help. They were
only there 6 months but the smell has to go.

Hire a pro and charge the tenant. Take them to small claims court if you
have to. I wouldn't allow animals in my building.

Animals are fine. It's children I would never allow.

Is it perhaps illegal to refuse to rent to families with children?

Thought I heard something like that.

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 02:11:39 +0000 (UTC), David Combs wrote:
Cat owners seem to swear by Natures Miracle.

Comes in various sizes -- as big as a gallon.

I've never seen it work worth a damn.

Posted to alt.home.repair
KLS KLS is offline

On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 21:54:01 -0500, AZ Nomad
wrote:

On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 02:11:39 +0000 (UTC), David Combs wrote:
Cat owners seem to swear by Natures Miracle.

Comes in various sizes -- as big as a gallon.

I've never seen it work worth a damn.

When used correctly, it does work. The treated area needs to stay
damp for a while, can't dry right away.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 02:11:39 +0000 (UTC), David Combs wrote:
Cat owners seem to swear by Natures Miracle.

Comes in various sizes -- as big as a gallon.

I've never seen it work worth a damn.

When used correctly, it does work. The treated area needs to stay
damp for a while, can't dry right away.

Let me rephrase it. When done exactly by the directions on the package,
I've never seen it work worth a damn.

I've poured pints of the stuff over a **** spot. Padding was pulled and
discarded. The carpet stayed damp for a week. It still didn't work worth a
damn. Only solution was to remove the carpeting from the closet altogether and
replace with cheap presson tiles.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Sorry for chiming in a bit late to the discussion, but I really feel like I need to add my 2 cents. Cats don't just pee on floors and beds because they're in pain - could be a multitude of other reasons! Most common is that male cats feel the need to mark their territory.

As for myself, I finally found something that works for the cat pee smell in my home!

What a relief to finally have gotten rid of the horrible cat pee smell, and without any expensive sprays at that.

Registered an account only to say this:

One of my 2 cats (both neutered males) had taken to painting all of my walls, furniture, and anything else he could reach. I was horrified when I got a UV light. He never did that in all of the 9 years I've had him and didn't when I got him a buddy (they love each other and did so right away) but when a strange black cat started showing up outside both of my cats went nuts and the older one (9) started his wall painting, as well as the curtains out in the kitty room. I couldn't keep up with it.

My cats are indoor cats so it's not like the stray is actually going to get in here but they both hate him (and he is weird...my neighbor's cats hate him too). I've tried cleaning with a pet urine enzyme and then spraying some "No More Spraying" but that hasn't worked.

He's a sneaky little bugger too; he waits until he thinks I'm not looking and then does it. He's learned that the minute I see him backing his butt up to something he gets yelled at. It wasn't until I found "Cat Spraying No More" that I was able to finally get rid of this tiresome behavior. Now my house doesn't smell like a litter box anymore :smile:

To be honest, I don't know too much about it so I did a quick Google search and here's a review I found: https://nomorecatpee.com/index.htm

I'm based in Germany, by the way, so you should be able to get it too. Good luck!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/1/19 5:24 AM, wrote:
[...]

A shotgun will take care of spraying cats too.Â* Here kitty kitty kitty!