Posted to rec.woodworking
charlie b

Default Help - Getting Cat **** Stain Out of Hardwood Floor

My neighbor who had the fire last year is getting to
the floors of the house. The oldest daughter's cat
it turns out has been ****ing on the floor under
her bed for the last four or five years.

It's now time for the floors. Mere sanding is not
going to remove the stain. That I fear is going
to require a chemical treatment - some method
of bleaching the stain out. Since it's wood -
oak specifically - and there are very knowledgeable
folks in this group - HELP!

I'm guessing that just plain ordinary household
bleach isn't going to do it. So what should I get
and are there any tips on using it?

Your help will get this family one step closer
to having their home back - after almost 10
months.

charlie b
Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Barta

charlie b wrote:

My neighbor who had the fire last year is getting to
the floors of the house. The oldest daughter's cat
it turns out has been ****ing on the floor under
her bed for the last four or five years.

It's now time for the floors. Mere sanding is not
going to remove the stain. That I fear is going
to require a chemical treatment - some method
of bleaching the stain out. Since it's wood -
oak specifically - and there are very knowledgeable
folks in this group - HELP!

I'm guessing that just plain ordinary household
bleach isn't going to do it. So what should I get
and are there any tips on using it?

Your help will get this family one step closer
to having their home back - after almost 10
months.

charlie b

There are commercial products to treat that exact problem. I suppose a
Google search will lead to a few. Not sure how well they work though.
My guess is that YMMV.

Joe Barta
Posted to rec.woodworking
Connor Aston

Shoot the cat.

--
http://www.connoraston.com
Posted to rec.woodworking
Lobby Dosser

"Connor Aston" wrote:

Shoot the cat.

Too late. What I can't figure is why nobody noticed it wasn't using its
litter box.

wrote:

My neighbor who had the fire last year is getting to
the floors of the house. The oldest daughter's cat
it turns out has been ****ing on the floor under
her bed for the last four or five years.

It's now time for the floors. Mere sanding is not
going to remove the stain. That I fear is going
to require a chemical treatment - some method
of bleaching the stain out. Since it's wood -
oak specifically - and there are very knowledgeable
folks in this group - HELP!

I'm guessing that just plain ordinary household
bleach isn't going to do it. So what should I get
and are there any tips on using it?

Your help will get this family one step closer
to having their home back - after almost 10
months.

charlie b

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Barta

Connor Aston wrote:

Shoot the cat.

Then he'll have to get blood stains off the floor as well.

Shoot the cat outside ;-)

Joe Barta

Posted to rec.woodworking
John B

wrote:

My neighbor who had the fire last year is getting to
the floors of the house. The oldest daughter's cat
it turns out has been ****ing on the floor under
her bed for the last four or five years.

It's now time for the floors. Mere sanding is not
going to remove the stain. That I fear is going
to require a chemical treatment - some method
of bleaching the stain out. Since it's wood -
oak specifically - and there are very knowledgeable
folks in this group - HELP!

I'm guessing that just plain ordinary household
bleach isn't going to do it. So what should I get
and are there any tips on using it?

Your help will get this family one step closer
to having their home back - after almost 10
months.

charlie b

Jeeze, the room must have smelt sweet.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Upscale

Most pet stores have products specifically designed to remove urine
stains. Can't vouch for how they will affect any pre-existing finish on
the floor, but I'm guessing that's not a concern for you right at the
moment.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Ketchum

"charlie b" wrote in message
My neighbor who had the fire last year is getting to
the floors of the house. The oldest daughter's cat
it turns out has been ****ing on the floor under
her bed for the last four or five years.

There is nothing more putrid than cat ****. Nobody could smell this? WTF?

Posted to rec.woodworking
B a r r y

Charlie b wrote:

I'm guessing that just plain ordinary household
bleach isn't going to do it. So what should I get
and are there any tips on using it?

Seal it in with dewaxed shellac.

Ask for Zinnser Seal Coat at a GOOD paint store.

Barry
Posted to rec.woodworking
Fred

Joe Barta wrote:
Connor Aston wrote:

Shoot the cat.

Then he'll have to get blood stains off the floor as well.
Also, will have to patch the bullet hole in the floor as well.

Shoot the cat outside ;-)

Joe Barta

Posted to rec.woodworking
marc rosen

Was it the cat or the daughter?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Avraham

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 22:21:43 -0800, charlie b
wrote:

My neighbor who had the fire last year is getting to
the floors of the house. The oldest daughter's cat
it turns out has been ****ing on the floor under
her bed for the last four or five years.

It's now time for the floors. Mere sanding is not
going to remove the stain. That I fear is going
to require a chemical treatment - some method
of bleaching the stain out. Since it's wood -
oak specifically - and there are very knowledgeable
folks in this group - HELP!

I'm guessing that just plain ordinary household
bleach isn't going to do it. So what should I get
and are there any tips on using it?

Your help will get this family one step closer
to having their home back - after almost 10
months.

charlie b

My wife worked at a vet office and we keep getting the reject cats
that are so cute she couldn't pass them up, but have behavioral
issues, so I've dealt with cat pee more than I like.

Cut the affected boards out and replace them. After that long, the
finish will have been eaten away by the urine and it has soaked
through the flooring (and probably the sub-floor as well), and nothing
you can do will get it all out.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Cut the affected boards out and replace them. After that long, the
finish will have been eaten away by the urine and it has soaked
through the flooring (and probably the sub-floor as well), and nothing
you can do will get it all out.

When remodeling, that has certainly been my experience. The only other
thing I have done is strip the floors in the room, then stain them a
different (much darker) color to mask the stain. But on careful
inspection, the offending stain was still seen. No amount of
neutralizer, stain remover, etc., made for urine treatment worked 100%.

In retrospect, I think now it would be easier to go buy some new
laminate floor or the new hardwood floors and just floor over the whole
thing and make a stepped threshold into the room.

Of course, if the flooring is totally trashed, you could carpet.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T

Mon, Jan 16, 2006, 8:09am (EST+5) (Connor*Aston)
doth advise:
Shoot the cat.

Gods above, that's cruelty. Besides, you might miss. Freeze the
damn thing, and use it for a push stick.

JOAT
If you can't say anything nice about someone, you must be talking about
Hilary Clinton.

Posted to rec.woodworking
John Grossbohlin

"Joe Barta" wrote in message
.. .
Connor Aston wrote:

Shoot the cat.

Then he'll have to get blood stains off the floor as well.

Shoot the cat outside ;-)

Joe Barta

I heard that the cat blood removes the cat urine coloration from the
flooring and neutralizes the odor... I'd test that refinishing process in
the name of science. ;~)

John

Posted to rec.woodworking
Charley

There's an acid treatment that's available for removing stains from wood
that I have used on water stains in red oak floors. It will lighten the
stain, but it doesn't always remove it completely....and it sometimes alters
the oak enough so that you can't get the treated area to match the untreated
area. It takes quite a bit of patience to get good results. One time after I
treated the stain and got it pretty well gone I treated the whole floor with
a light coat of the acid. This method worked the best for me. The acid
treatment is called oxalic acid and it's available in the paint departments
at the borgs.

If the stain is a big area and not just a few spots I would recommend
replacing the whole floor. That's the only sure way of getting rid of it and
getting the floor to match perfectly again.

--
Charley

"charlie b" wrote in message
My neighbor who had the fire last year is getting to
the floors of the house. The oldest daughter's cat
it turns out has been ****ing on the floor under
her bed for the last four or five years.

It's now time for the floors. Mere sanding is not
going to remove the stain. That I fear is going
to require a chemical treatment - some method
of bleaching the stain out. Since it's wood -
oak specifically - and there are very knowledgeable
folks in this group - HELP!

I'm guessing that just plain ordinary household
bleach isn't going to do it. So what should I get
and are there any tips on using it?

Your help will get this family one step closer
to having their home back - after almost 10
months.

charlie b

Posted to rec.woodworking

Rip out the flooring and replace it. The only way to get it right!

Posted to rec.woodworking
charlie b

Looks like the possible courses of action a

(A).
1. shoot the cat(s) - there are four possible
offenders
2. use the blood to try and get the stain out
3. acid etch the floorwith oxalic acid AFTER
rinsing the blood off
4. rinse the oxalc acid off with water
5. allow to dry for several days
6. seal the wood with shellac
7. sand with 180 grit
8. apply 3 coats of poly, lightly sanding
between coats after 48 hours of dryng time
9. have the teenager do 1-8
10. shoot the teenager - or at least wing her

OR

(B)
Shoot the cat(s)
Replace the floor
and
Shoot the teenager

OR

(C)
Shoot the cat(s)
Seal the stain and carpet the room
then
Shoot the teenager

OR

(D)
Seal the teenager AND the cat(s) in the room
But don't shoot her or the cat(s)

I'm going to suggest "C" but am expecting
the mother to object to shooting the cast(s).
Not sure how she'll go on shooting the
teenager.

Am also working on an OUTDOR,
four unit, two story Cat Condo
with sun porches. Will post
plans and photos to a.b.p.w. when
complete. I'd prefer to make it
a cat mosoleum (sp?) but there's
the Mother issue.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

charlie b

ps - how do teens survive teenhood
when it seems they lose all their
senses during that period?
Must be one of those exceptios
to Darwin's Theory

pss - did I mention
the dog?
the three turtles?
the bunny rabbit?
the four doves?
the two lizards?

Did someone suggest shooting
the mother?
Posted to rec.woodworking

charlie b wrote:
[...]

Several years ago I had a similar problem. Fixed it by doing two
things:
1) Sanded the surface of the affected wood flooring to remove the
finish (I think it was Varathane in my case), poured bleach (undiluted)
onto the affected flooring and left it in a puddle for a few hours so
that it would soak into the hardwood flooring. I repeated this step
about 5 times over the course of a week or so and it made a significant
improvement.
2) Then I called in a company that specializes in cleaning up homes
after a fire and they sprayed (using an outdoor garden type sprayer) a
green solution that smelled like mint. They sprayed the subfloor (from
the open basement) and they sprayed the flooring where the cat went.
This spraying was done two or three times over a week for about 2
months and that did it.
Hope this helps - it sure stinks!

Posted to rec.woodworking

I don't know - never replaced the floor. Total cost was less than
$75.00 and the only tool I needed was a towel. Applying and blotting up
the bleach took about 5 minutes to apply and then blot up after a
while. Spraying took 5-10 minutes a few times a week.
The restoration company left the sprayer, full of the deodorizer
solution, with us for the 2 months. Pretty simple solution and no hard
work.