Posted to rec.woodworking
Charley

Default Help - Getting Cat **** Stain Out of Hardwood Floor

There's an acid treatment that's available for removing stains from wood
that I have used on water stains in red oak floors. It will lighten the
stain, but it doesn't always remove it completely....and it sometimes alters
the oak enough so that you can't get the treated area to match the untreated
area. It takes quite a bit of patience to get good results. One time after I
treated the stain and got it pretty well gone I treated the whole floor with
a light coat of the acid. This method worked the best for me. The acid
treatment is called oxalic acid and it's available in the paint departments
at the borgs.

If the stain is a big area and not just a few spots I would recommend
replacing the whole floor. That's the only sure way of getting rid of it and
getting the floor to match perfectly again.

--
Charley

"charlie b" wrote in message
My neighbor who had the fire last year is getting to
the floors of the house. The oldest daughter's cat
it turns out has been ****ing on the floor under
her bed for the last four or five years.

It's now time for the floors. Mere sanding is not
going to remove the stain. That I fear is going
to require a chemical treatment - some method
of bleaching the stain out. Since it's wood -
oak specifically - and there are very knowledgeable
folks in this group - HELP!

I'm guessing that just plain ordinary household
bleach isn't going to do it. So what should I get
and are there any tips on using it?

Your help will get this family one step closer
to having their home back - after almost 10
months.

charlie b