Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike

Default Alternative To Wood Floor or Carper for Second Floor?

The upstairs (appx 500 sq ft) of my townhome has a laminated wood floor that
has been refinished at least once.
There isn't enough wood left to sand/refinish. Any suggestions for a new
floor material? I don't want to use carpeting.
I live in the mid Atlantic region with cold winters - 18 degrees this
evening - so I don't think tile is a good alternative.
Somebody recommended cork, but I don't know how that would look or how
durable it would be.

Mike

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

"Mike" wrote in message
newsFLnf.30765$Wo2.359@trnddc04...
The upstairs (appx 500 sq ft) of my townhome has a laminated wood floor
that has been refinished at least once.
There isn't enough wood left to sand/refinish. Any suggestions for a new
floor material? I don't want to use carpeting.
I live in the mid Atlantic region with cold winters - 18 degrees this
evening - so I don't think tile is a good alternative.
Somebody recommended cork, but I don't know how that would look or how
durable it would be.

Mike

Why not carpeting?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Cork?
TB

Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

Mike wrote:
The upstairs (appx 500 sq ft) of my townhome has a laminated wood floor that
has been refinished at least once.
There isn't enough wood left to sand/refinish. Any suggestions for a new
floor material? I don't want to use carpeting.
I live in the mid Atlantic region with cold winters - 18 degrees this
evening - so I don't think tile is a good alternative.
Somebody recommended cork, but I don't know how that would look or how
durable it would be.

First time I saw cork flooring was at Fallingwater, the house designed
by Frank Lloyd Wright. Stuff was beautiful.

Here's a link that might help: http://www.floorfacts.com/corkfloors.asp

Posted to alt.home.repair

Just out of curiousity - why would carpeting be hotter in the summer
than any other flooring?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

wrote in message
ups.com...
Just out of curiousity - why would carpeting be hotter in the summer
than any other flooring?

It's all in eyes (feet, head) of the user. But, it's still a valid reason, I
guess. One fact, though: Any rough surface *has* to slow down draftiness a
bit, compared to a hard one. This is why I can't stand the idea of hardwood
floors in my cold climate.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

Doug Kanter wrote:

It's all in eyes (feet, head) of the user. But, it's still a valid reason, I
guess. One fact, though: Any rough surface *has* to slow down draftiness a
bit, compared to a hard one. This is why I can't stand the idea of hardwood
floors in my cold climate.

Doesn't work that way for a golf ball. The carpet might break up the
laminar flow. Couldn't be sure without seeing test results. The
carpet definitely has insulation value, though.

Posted to alt.home.repair
jdk

RicodJour wrote:

Doug Kanter wrote:

It's all in eyes (feet, head) of the user. But, it's still a valid reason, I
guess. One fact, though: Any rough surface *has* to slow down draftiness a
bit, compared to a hard one. This is why I can't stand the idea of hardwood
floors in my cold climate.

Doesn't work that way for a golf ball. The carpet might break up the
laminar flow. Couldn't be sure without seeing test results. The
carpet definitely has insulation value, though.

i have wood floors that were installed in 1962. they are over a basement
and craw space. they can be colder than carpet. and i know they can be
a pain in the ass to keep up with, i would not have carpet. specially if
you ever take up carpet and padding and see the dirt in it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

"Mike" wrote in message
newseqof.2102$Jr1.1088@trnddc01...
I'm thinking I've got the luxury to install anything up there right now.

A neighbor used bamboo and is pleased with. Guess I should get over there
and take look.
I s there any downside to bamboo? How did you buy it - in long strips or
by the box?
How/what is it finished with?

Mike

I've noticed (but paid no attention to) some bamboo discussions here. Google
search for the word in the subject lines.