GE GSD2800 Dishwasher Leaking

Old May 24th 07, 02:53 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default GE GSD2800 Dishwasher Leaking

OK, it's microcomputer controlled, so does that qualify as electronics
repair even if the micro isn't the problem?

This unit is about 19 years old and now has started leaking mostly
or totally when it's draining. The drain hose is in good condition
and is not obstructed. The water appears to be coming from the area
near the back of the horizontally mounted motor/pump assembly.
It's less than a cup of water for the entire wash cycle,
which a pan can easily catch, but of course these things will get worse.
I don't believe it's a hose or connection problem but can't rule that out.

Any info appreciated.

Thanks.

Old May 24th 07, 07:29 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Sam Goldwasser wrote in message
OK, it's microcomputer controlled, so does that qualify as electronics
repair even if the micro isn't the problem?

This unit is about 19 years old and now has started leaking mostly
or totally when it's draining. The drain hose is in good condition
and is not obstructed. The water appears to be coming from the area
near the back of the horizontally mounted motor/pump assembly.
It's less than a cup of water for the entire wash cycle,
which a pan can easily catch, but of course these things will get worse.
I don't believe it's a hose or connection problem but can't rule that out.

Any info appreciated.

Thanks.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above

is
ignored unless my full name AND either lasers or electronics is included

in the

Beware of leaking electricity.
I'm assuming you don't have access to the problem area. Dependent on how
close it is to a disposal job, I would cut an access hole in the adjascent
outer steel panelling and blank off with something aesthetic afterwards.
Put some of that U cross-section plastic "Flexiform" grommet strip around
the cut edge while playing around inside. I've done that with a washing
machine problem like this in an area behind large lumps of concrete that as
far as I could see were not removable.

Perhaps try query in uk.d-i-y, they like that sort of thing, and UK is no
more USA than water leaks are electronic ;-)

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Old May 24th 07, 03:04 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:http://www.repairfaq.org/
Repair | Main Table of Contents:http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/
+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/lasersam.htm
| Mirror Sites:http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_mirror.html

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above

is
ignored unless my full name AND either lasers or electronics is included

in the

Beware of leaking electricity.
I'm assuming you don't have access to the problem area. Dependent on how
close it is to a disposal job, I would cut an access hole in the adjascent
outer steel panelling and blank off with something aesthetic afterwards.
Put some of that U cross-section plastic "Flexiform" grommet strip around
the cut edge while playing around inside. I've done that with a washing
machine problem like this in an area behind large lumps of concrete that as
far as I could see were not removable.

Perhaps try query in uk.d-i-y, they like that sort of thing, and UK is no
more USA than water leaks are electronic ;-)

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England
electronic hints and repair briefs , schematics/manuals list onhttp://home.graffiti.net/diverse:graffiti.net/- Hide quoted text -

Sam:

How about a bright light shining under the dishwasher while it is
running and a mirror on a stick and video camera if you can't stay
around long enough to observe.

At that age, if it is used frequently, it may be just plain worn out
around the punp bushings, and these things are not generally easily
repairable, in my experience. I hate to say replace, but that may be
you easiest (and maybe alnmost cheapest) option.

Bob Hofmann

Old May 24th 07, 07:29 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message

This unit is about 19 years old and now has started leaking mostly
or totally when it's draining. The drain hose is in good condition
and is not obstructed. The water appears to be coming from the area
near the back of the horizontally mounted motor/pump assembly.

Could it be from the hose to the sump? I repaired mine with a gasket of
double sided tape.

Old May 25th 07, 12:10 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

"hr(bob) " writes:

On May 24, 1:29 am, "N Cook" wrote:
[...]

Actually, that's exactly what I plan to do. I have an "intra-oral"
video camera and LCD monitor. Not sure I'll do it first when it's
running, but will carefully inspect it for evidence of cracks, rust,
loose clamps (unlikely), etc.

At that age, if it is used frequently, it may be just plain worn out
around the punp bushings, and these things are not generally easily
repairable, in my experience. I hate to say replace, but that may be
you easiest (and maybe alnmost cheapest) option.

According to what I've read, the motor/pump thing is not serviceable
and the replacement is $100-150, although a rebuilt one might be
less. Not sure it's worth it for such an old machine. It has been
used regularly, though I wouldn't say it overstressed.

From what I can gather without actually seeing (so far) an exploded
diagram, this uses a horizontal motor driven pump (that I can see!)
which directs its output either to the rotating spray arm assembly,
or to the output hose, using a solenoid operated "butterfly" valve.
Since the leak is present only when the machine is draining, that
does narrow down the location considerably.

Or, since it sounds like the same motor/pump assembly has been used
on many GE/Hotpoint models, perhaps one from a junker could be found
if it isn't something that MacGuyver can repair.

If I can manage to remove the motor/pump assembly for careful inspection
without having to take the entire machine out (and disconnect plumbing)
that would be great. There aren't that many connections to it.

Thanks!

Old May 25th 07, 12:12 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Homer J Simpson" writes:

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message

This unit is about 19 years old and now has started leaking mostly
or totally when it's draining. The drain hose is in good condition
and is not obstructed. The water appears to be coming from the area
near the back of the horizontally mounted motor/pump assembly.

Could it be from the hose to the sump? I repaired mine with a gasket of
double sided tape.

You mean to the drain? I will carefully check that. Hoses looked to be
in very good condition from initial inspection.

Thanks.

Old May 25th 07, 01:50 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message

Could it be from the hose to the sump? I repaired mine with a gasket of
double sided tape.

You mean to the drain? I will carefully check that. Hoses looked to be
in very good condition from initial inspection.

Mine actually leaked from the fill hose connection but it could be the drain
in your case. Not so much the hose but the gasketing to the wash tank.

Old May 25th 07, 02:46 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Homer J Simpson" writes:

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message

Could it be from the hose to the sump? I repaired mine with a gasket of
double sided tape.

You mean to the drain? I will carefully check that. Hoses looked to be
in very good condition from initial inspection.

Mine actually leaked from the fill hose connection but it could be the drain
in your case. Not so much the hose but the gasketing to the wash tank.

But note that this is only leaking when it is pumping out. Thus all the
seals that need to be intact during fill, wash, and rinse, are not leaking.

Thanks.

Old May 25th 07, 08:13 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair
R!

Sam Goldwasser wrote in
:

OK, it's microcomputer controlled, so does that qualify as electronics
repair even if the micro isn't the problem?

This unit is about 19 years old and now has started leaking mostly
or totally when it's draining. The drain hose is in good condition
and is not obstructed. The water appears to be coming from the area
near the back of the horizontally mounted motor/pump assembly.
It's less than a cup of water for the entire wash cycle,
which a pan can easily catch, but of course these things will get
worse. I don't believe it's a hose or connection problem but can't
rule that out.

Any info appreciated.

Thanks.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header
above is ignored unless my full name AND either lasers or electronics
is included in the subject line. Or, you can contact me via the
Feedback Form in the FAQs.

I used to repair appliances when those were new, There was a problem
with the bearing and seal on some of the wastegate valve shafts. It has
an electric coil that moves it during the drain cycle.

The wastegate valve is used to force the water down the drain, it only
has a high pressure on it during the drain cycle.

The seal is a very small teflon like washer on the inside, but what
usually hapened was the shaft developed a lot of "slop" (worn bearing)
in it's movement.

I think that was one of the early models with the "PermaTuf" tub, which
was all plastic. If so there should not be a rust problem.

The shaft on the motor would rust sometimes and damage the shaft seal,
this usually leaks between the black motor and the fiberglass pump
housing, this usually starts small and gets worse. The seal is not that
expensive but getting that fiberglass pump apart without breaking
something else is next to impossible. The complete assembly is not too
hard to change 2 Large hoses, 1 or 2 Small hoses , one screw whitch
holds the support hanger and 4 electrical wires, make sure to turn off
the electric service to the dishwasher before servicing since it should
be hard wired, does not have a power cord.

Check the drain hose and clamp since these were usually installed in the
field at the time of installation.

R!!

Leaking Dishwasher - plugged drain? Bill Stock Home Repair 9 September 29th 05 04:13 AM
Dishwasher Leaking pb UK diy 3 July 27th 05 09:43 PM
(leaking) dishwasher troubleshooter links? james Home Repair 4 June 9th 05 03:59 PM
water damage from leaking dishwasher badgolferman Home Repair 5 May 8th 05 03:10 PM
dishwasher leaking badgolferman Home Repair 7 May 5th 05 12:21 PM