badgolferman

Default water damage from leaking dishwasher

Okay, many of you helped me with the new dishwasher I got to replace
the old one. Thanks for the opinions I got. Now I have to deal with
what the old one left behind.

The adjacent cabinet is rotten from water damage and mold/mildew. I
never knew it was leaking until the day we saw the inside of the
cabinet. The floor of the cabinet is bad and must be replaced. I
can't tell if the cabinet wall is bad from the inside, but the outside
wall has some damage at the footer where it contacts the floor.

I know this has to be repaired, but I don't know what materials are
available to me. Also, I have a toddler running around the house, so
whatever I do needs to be done from start to finish inside of a day or
so. I don't want to take the countertop off, so hopefully there is a
way to get around that.

Any recommendations?

--
No matter what happens someone will find a way to take it too seriously.

What can be done depends on the materials.
We had a similar problem with plywood cabinets.
There was enough solid left to put quarter inch material over the
horizontal surfaces.
It has been good for several years, in spinte of my hopes to refurbish
the kitchen.
TB

xrongor

no offense, but you clearly cant fix it yourself. this leaves you two
options.

you can read all the replies then start calling around for estimates, or you
can just start calling around for estimates.

one takes less time.

randy

"badgolferman" wrote in message
[...]

badgolferman

xrongor, 5/8/2005, 7:25:47 AM, wrote:

no offense, but you clearly cant fix it yourself. this leaves you
two options.

No offense taken. What is "clear" that I ca't fix it myself? Because
I don't want to take the countertop off? Do you have a suggestion on
how to fix it?

I am considering cutting a piece of hardwood and covering it up. Is
that a viable alternative or should I order a Sawzall?

--
No matter what happens someone will find a way to take it too seriously.
xrongor

"badgolferman" wrote in message
xrongor, 5/8/2005, 7:25:47 AM, wrote:

no offense, but you clearly cant fix it yourself. this leaves you
two options.

No offense taken. What is "clear" that I ca't fix it myself? Because
I don't want to take the countertop off? Do you have a suggestion on
how to fix it?

I am considering cutting a piece of hardwood and covering it up. Is
that a viable alternative or should I order a Sawzall?

maybe im not understanding your dilemma. i mean, you can see it. what is
it gonna take to fix it?

if you are saying parts of the cabinet are damaged, i would just patch it
and give it some structural reinforcement. if you are saying your wall and
the footer is damaged, i would rip into that and fix it properly. there may
be ways to cut enough of the cabinet away to fix it. there may not be.

maybe its possible to pull the cabinet base without taking the top off.
maybe its not. you can see it, what do you think?

as to how exactly to fix it, i just dont think i would even know where to
start without seeing it. nor will anyone else.

so im done guessing. maybe others will take a shot at it.

randy

Edwin Pawlowski

"xrongor" wrote in message
as to how exactly to fix it, i just dont think i would even know where to
start without seeing it. nor will anyone else.

so im done guessing. maybe others will take a shot at it.

randy

We'd all be guessing not being able to see the situation. My biggest
concern would be to get things dried out and make sure there is no mold or
mildew that would continue to spread. Aside from that, the rest is
speculation on my part so I'll pass on making comments.

Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
Hot water recirculation [email protected] Home Repair 18 August 9th 04 05:32 AM
Water Softeners, good or bad?? Martin Hirsch Home Repair 23 July 14th 04 03:27 AM
I need a little advice on running waterlines in an uninsulated crawlspace ozark Home Repair 12 January 29th 04 05:23 AM