Posted to sci.electronics.repair
R! R! is offline

Default GE GSD2800 Dishwasher Leaking

Sam Goldwasser wrote in
:

OK, it's microcomputer controlled, so does that qualify as electronics
repair even if the micro isn't the problem?

This unit is about 19 years old and now has started leaking mostly
or totally when it's draining. The drain hose is in good condition
and is not obstructed. The water appears to be coming from the area
near the back of the horizontally mounted motor/pump assembly.
It's less than a cup of water for the entire wash cycle,
which a pan can easily catch, but of course these things will get
worse. I don't believe it's a hose or connection problem but can't
rule that out.

Any info appreciated.

Thanks.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header
above is ignored unless my full name AND either lasers or electronics
is included in the subject line. Or, you can contact me via the
Feedback Form in the FAQs.

I used to repair appliances when those were new, There was a problem
with the bearing and seal on some of the wastegate valve shafts. It has
an electric coil that moves it during the drain cycle.

The wastegate valve is used to force the water down the drain, it only
has a high pressure on it during the drain cycle.

The seal is a very small teflon like washer on the inside, but what
usually hapened was the shaft developed a lot of "slop" (worn bearing)
in it's movement.

I think that was one of the early models with the "PermaTuf" tub, which
was all plastic. If so there should not be a rust problem.

The shaft on the motor would rust sometimes and damage the shaft seal,
this usually leaks between the black motor and the fiberglass pump
housing, this usually starts small and gets worse. The seal is not that
expensive but getting that fiberglass pump apart without breaking
something else is next to impossible. The complete assembly is not too
hard to change 2 Large hoses, 1 or 2 Small hoses , one screw whitch
holds the support hanger and 4 electrical wires, make sure to turn off
the electric service to the dishwasher before servicing since it should
be hard wired, does not have a power cord.

Check the drain hose and clamp since these were usually installed in the
field at the time of installation.

R!!