Bill Stock

Default Leaking Dishwasher - plugged drain?

The Dishwasher has started leaking when the Dry cycle kicks in. I've had the
hose off to check for cracks and tighted the clamp just now. It's running
another cycle to check for leaks again. But ti just occurred to me that the
drain hose was backed up with water when I took it off. Do DW drains get
clogged? Would the back pressure cause a leak?

TIA

Edwin Pawlowski

"Bill Stock" wrote in message
The Dishwasher has started leaking when the Dry cycle kicks in. I've had
the hose off to check for cracks and tighted the clamp just now. It's
running another cycle to check for leaks again. But ti just occurred to me
that the drain hose was backed up with water when I took it off. Do DW
drains get clogged? Would the back pressure cause a leak?

Yes, the do get clogged, but that does not necessarily cause a leak. Does
it drain completely? If so, it is able to get rid of the water (but there
could be a restriction). Can you see what is leaking? Could be a hose,
loose clamp, bad seal in the pump housing, worn door gasket. You can get
more ideas at www.applianceaid.com and www.repairclinic.com

No Spam

Bill Stock wrote:
The Dishwasher has started leaking when the Dry cycle kicks in. I've had the
hose off to check for cracks and tighted the clamp just now. It's running
another cycle to check for leaks again. But ti just occurred to me that the
drain hose was backed up with water when I took it off. Do DW drains get
clogged? Would the back pressure cause a leak?

TIA

When mine leaked, it was the pump seal. New pump, no more problem.
ymmv

Bill Stock

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Bill Stock" wrote in message
The Dishwasher has started leaking when the Dry cycle kicks in. I've had
the hose off to check for cracks and tighted the clamp just now. It's
running another cycle to check for leaks again. But ti just occurred to
me that the drain hose was backed up with water when I took it off. Do DW
drains get clogged? Would the back pressure cause a leak?

Yes, the do get clogged, but that does not necessarily cause a leak. Does
it drain completely? If so, it is able to get rid of the water (but there
could be a restriction). Can you see what is leaking? Could be a hose,
loose clamp, bad seal in the pump housing, worn door gasket. You can get
more ideas at www.applianceaid.com and www.repairclinic.com

Tightening the hose clamp reduced the leak to a dribble, but it still leaked
about a cup. I did not see any water inside when I opened the door. I can't
really see where it's leaking as it's dripping down the back side of the
hose connection. This model has a drip spout (protection) over the motor
where the drain hose connects to the pump. There was no water running down
the drip spout, so it would appear to be the hose connection/drain.

I will have to drag it's sorry ass out of the hole tomorrow (damn) to
diagnose the problem.

Thanks.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Bill Stock" wrote in message
Tightening the hose clamp reduced the leak to a dribble, but it still
leaked about a cup. I did not see any water inside when I opened the door.

Sounds like you hit the right spot. Before you drag it out, is it possible
to replace the hose in place? good chance it is dried out and will not seal
properly around the fitting. I'd try that first.

Bill Stock

"Bill Stock" wrote in message
Tightening the hose clamp reduced the leak to a dribble, but it still
leaked about a cup. I did not see any water inside when I opened the
door.

Sounds like you hit the right spot. Before you drag it out, is it
possible to replace the hose in place? good chance it is dried out and
will not seal properly around the fitting. I'd try that first.

No, the drain end is somewhere out of sight behind the machine.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Bill Stock" wrote in message
Sounds like you hit the right spot. Before you drag it out, is it
possible to replace the hose in place? good chance it is dried out and
will not seal properly around the fitting. I'd try that first.

No, the drain end is somewhere out of sight behind the machine.

Some slack in the line? Cut off an inch and slip it back over the fitting.
Sometimes that cures the problem.

Bill Stock

"Bill Stock" wrote in message
The Dishwasher has started leaking when the Dry cycle kicks in. I've had
the hose off to check for cracks and tighted the clamp just now. It's
running another cycle to check for leaks again. But ti just occurred to me
that the drain hose was backed up with water when I took it off. Do DW
drains get clogged? Would the back pressure cause a leak?

TIA

OK, replaced the drain hose, checked the drain, but it still leaks.

Upon closer inspection, the leak is coming from the BOTTOM side of the drip
plate. So I guess the leak is happening where the pump joins the motor. I
can purchase a pump seal repair kit for about $34, while a new pump/motor
assembly is $200. Is the repair kit likely to solve the problem?

Edwin Pawlowski

"Bill Stock" wrote in message

Upon closer inspection, the leak is coming from the BOTTOM side of the
drip plate. So I guess the leak is happening where the pump joins the
motor. I can purchase a pump seal repair kit for about $34, while a new
pump/motor assembly is $200. Is the repair kit likely to solve the
problem?

If you are sure the seal is leaking $34 is a cheap way to keep a machine
running for a few more years. If the pump itself is leaking from a cracked
or corroded housing, I'd put that $200 towards a new machine.

I don't know what the seal kit consists of so I don't know if that is a high
or low price or if alternative gasketing material would work.

Bill Stock

"Bill Stock" wrote in message

Upon closer inspection, the leak is coming from the BOTTOM side of the
drip plate. So I guess the leak is happening where the pump joins the
motor. I can purchase a pump seal repair kit for about $34, while a new
pump/motor assembly is $200. Is the repair kit likely to solve the
problem?

If you are sure the seal is leaking $34 is a cheap way to keep a machine
running for a few more years. If the pump itself is leaking from a
cracked or corroded housing, I'd put that $200 towards a new machine.

I don't know what the seal kit consists of so I don't know if that is a
high or low price or if alternative gasketing material would work.

I'm basically looking at replacing the motor seal ($10)and the pump gasket
($12). You're right it could be a cracked housing, but I doubt mucking with
the drain hose would lessen the dripping like it did. If I have to replace
the whole unit ($200), I'd just buy a new DW, as you said.

Whirlpool dishwasher leaking during drain Wet And Tired Home Repair 1 February 18th 05 04:00 AM
Bosch dishwasher SHU 3300 cycle not advancing past initial drain repair story mcquarrie Home Repair 1 June 16th 04 11:14 PM
Dishwasher Drain Greg Home Repair 2 June 8th 04 11:54 AM
Remodel Leaking Drain Emergency Michael Roback Home Repair 0 October 24th 03 04:03 AM
Remodel Leaking Drain Emergency Michael Roback Home Ownership 0 October 24th 03 04:03 AM